Gaming State of Decay

sod_banner.jpg

Yall may not have heard much, or anything, about this title, set to release to XBOX Live tomorrow, June 5th, but I've been watching and waiting for this one for over a year now. I am extremely excited for State of Decay.

For those unfamiliar, State of Decay's official description is as follows:

"The end is here. Life as you knew it has gone to hell after the mother of all zombie outbreaks. Now you and the few scattered survivors must band together to survive and rebuild in a 3rd-person action game set in a dynamic open world. You choose where to make your stand, designing and fortifying your home base, performing daring raids for food and ammunition, and rescuing other playable survivors with unique talents."

It sounds a bit bland, I know, but there is a WEALTH of information on the game at the Undead Labs website, including just how in-depth the gameplay systems are, from scavenging, to building, skill-building, fortifying, health, zombie AI, human AI, etc. Also good to note that State of Decay is just a test run for UL, who plans on releasing a full-fledged AAA title next year, building off of State of Decay's framework. It'll be MUCH bigger (State of Decay's world is 5 square kilometers), and will feature co-op and full on massive multiplayer.

Here's the official trailer-

IGN just gave it an 8.9

xAudienceofone

Just Another Guru
Jan 17, 2013
NY, USA
www.adamcbassett.com
Looks interesting. If I played more xbox and wasn't so frugal, I might pick it up. :p

In all honesty, that framerate was incredibly off putting. Looked like the developers saw at 25 fps. Otherwise, intriguing at the very least. A neat idea, I enjoyed IGN's video.

The7thSeal

Expert
Jan 12, 2013
Lincolnshire, UK
Well, I just played the trail. I love how close to a realistic zombie survival situation it is.
Also, I need to learn how to:
  1. Maintain my weapons (which I don't think was covered in the trail), because losing your melee weapon makes things that much worse.
  2. Build up my safe house (Probably the same problem as the maintenance thing).
  3. Find a better backpack.

pinohkio

Proficient
Dec 30, 2012
New Brunswick, Canada
Well, I just played the trail. I love how close to a realistic zombie survival situation it is.
Also, I need to learn how to:
  1. Maintain my weapons (which I don't think was covered in the trail), because losing your melee weapon makes things that much worse.
  2. Build up my safe house (Probably the same problem as the maintenance thing).
  3. Find a better backpack.

Maintaining your weapons can be done in the full game after you build a certain attachment to your safehouse, I have no idea what it's called though. Builing your safehouse up is relatively simple, but I think you can only do it in the full game. Better backpacks can be found around the world, I think.

Reactions: The7thSeal

The7thSeal

Expert
Jan 12, 2013
Lincolnshire, UK
Maintaining your weapons can be done in the full game after you build a certain attachment to your safehouse, I have no idea what it's called though. Builing your safehouse up is relatively simple, but I think you can only do it in the full game. Better backpacks can be found around the world, I think.

Thanks.
Though I love the idea of safehouses, I don't really like the idea of going back to the same place more than once.

The7thSeal

Expert
Jan 12, 2013
Lincolnshire, UK
Played the game for a while now. One funniest thing I've had happen is spending 10 minutes shuffling away from a Horde, a Fat Bastard and 3 random zombies, because I was out of stamina and stamina items.