Data Lost [Feb 26, 2017] Squally's Sunday Skirmishes - Halo 5 (XONE)

This content is incomplete due to being reliant on a site add-on which is no longer in use.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
OverlordRaven91 - Sanctified
Many of my critiques from the last playtest still stand. The map still feels much too large, mainly due to how linear it is. Forcing players to cross a large open field as the only way to attack the base leads to boring and frustrating gameplay. The bases themselves are still to isolated from the rest of the map. The only immediately recognizable entrances are the two doors in the back. This unintuitive design confuses players trying to navigate the bases, and can lead to campy gameplay inside them. The Mantis room is still very disconnected from the rest of the map, and has too much spawn weighting. Spawning down in this area leaves players with very few choices on how to move throughout the map. The high side of the map has a similar problem. There simply aren't enough ways to move around once on top. The middle gate suffers from this lack of movement as well. The only way to get on top is from the high side of the map, which is already hard enough to attack. Once on the gate, a player is very safe and has a lot of power over the rest of the map, being able to completely lock down the open fields in front of the bases. There needs to be another way up to the top of the gate, and it needs to be less powerful. The Mantis room should have other routes flanking around the giant fields, and the bases need to be more intuitive in design and easier to attack.

The Grim Dealer - Echoes
The changes made to this version are interesting. I think they are very good conceptually, but the execution made this map move a step backwards in terms of gameplay. Finding a way to better incorporate the new designs into the existing map is definitely needed. The middle was just too open and too easy for one team to lock down by camping the high side. I suggest adding segmentation through height variation, using exaggerated hills and valleys to create cover. However, this would still leave the problem of travel times for infantry. As it is right now, moving across the map on foot is not fun. If you were shrink the map and bring everything in closer, it would be less of a pain on foot and allow you to better design key sightlines and segmentation through the middle.

alex quit - Entity
This was an odd one. The map was very confusing to navigate, and there were multiple occasions where I felt trapped by dead ends or exposed lines of sight. The massive pit defining the middle of the map could easily be smaller, giving you more room to design better routes on either side. As it is now, the massive amount of dead space in the middle of the map made gameplay very stagnant and boring.

Sorry it took so long to get this out there. I've been busy with some srs 4ge biz :p As a reminder, I will continue to host BTB testing for the rest of March. Starting in April, I will be shifting the focus of these lobbies to 4V4 maps.

KILLtrOTTcity

Proficient
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Dang this is crazy that I'm the only one to sign up for testing this week.. I thought there was alot more demand for BTB maps and testing. Hopefully this was just a crazy anomaly, maybe everbody is just busy watching The Walking Dead?Thanks for trying Squally,Guess I will just start on another map for the time being!

CDX34

Master
Mar 23, 2015
Well, it looks like the next Badger map won't be ready by tonight, so I won't have a map to provide, but if the lobby manages to start this week, I'd be glad to join and help test.

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Well, it looks like the next Badger map won't be ready by tonight, so I won't have a map to provide, but if the lobby manages to start this week, I'd be glad to join and help test.
Good to hear. Hopefully enough people will be on tonight that we can at least play a few maps. I have a version of Fracture with updated spawns, weapons, and coloring I want to test for if/when we are able to update the maps currently in matchmaking.

Reactions: KILLtrOTTcity

CDX34

Master
Mar 23, 2015
Good to hear. Hopefully enough people will be on tonight that we can at least play a few maps. I have a version of Fracture with updated spawns, weapons, and coloring I want to test for if/when we are able to update the maps currently in matchmaking.
Worst case scenario, I bet you could get away with playing your map like, five times straight.

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Well, 20 minutes to the lobby.... Not a lot of people online. Start sending invite requests now, and I'll see if the lobby is likely to happen or not then let everyone know on here.

Rex Journey

Novice
Mar 6, 2016
GT: REX JOURNEY
MAP: Cedar Plaza v.03
GAMETYPE: Slayer

MAP: Outcast
GAMETYPE: Slayer (AR/BR starts)
I may miss the first hour of testing

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
GT: REX JOURNEY
MAP: Cedar Plaza v.03
GAMETYPE: Slayer

MAP: Outcast
GAMETYPE: Slayer (AR/BR starts)
I may miss the first hour of testing
I'm going to push one of your maps to the end of the lobby to giver everyone else a fair chance at getting their maps tested. Which maps takes priority and should be tested first, and which map would you be ok with testing after everyone else has gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.