Map Preview Driftout

Apr 27, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
This map was originally inspired by Lockout and Midship and was initially designed to be symmetrical, I however came across some issues as I ran out of blocks and platforms. It has thus changed to be asymmetrical. This is my first 4 v 4 map ever so feedback isn't just appreciated, it's really needed. Download

Top Green
classicslayer5_zpsd18638a1.jpg

Bottom Green
classicslayer6_zpsa74edc0f.jpg

Top Mid
classicslayer4_zps009ef7ac.jpg

Bottom Mid
classicslayer3_zpsf69ee67c.jpg

Gold
classicslayer2_zps6264af56.jpg

Blue
classicslayer1_zps1890949b.jpg

Bottom Red
classicslayer_zps463654ca.jpg

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Took a look at the map, as promised. Found some issues.

Openness: There are plenty of areas in the map where it's too open. The upper middle area is one in particular. Top and bottom green are also quite open. I would suggest adding structural cover in these areas.

Power positions: This map lacks power positions. There's no specific area that players will want to control. This isn't very good for gameplay.

Paths: The map has way too many straight paths. Players become limited when it comes to movement. There are turns yes but they're set up in a way where a player has to walk forward for so long to get there.

Powerup: Why did you make the Overshield never spawn? I would suggest making it spawn every 3 minutes or so. There's also the way you placed it. You placed it in an area where the only way to get to it was dropping down from the bottom and making a jump from the bottom.

I would suggest adding more conventional paths to the Overshield.

Other weapons: This is a 4v4 map, yes? Then make the Sniper and Concussion Rifle ordnance. Maybe you made the sniper a classic spawn so you can give it 1 spare clip because of the map's openness.

But you shouldn't take it out on the gun. Instead, add more cover.

Falling off: I would suggest adding railings or something to prevent players from falling off the map.

Aesthetics: You were very inconsistent with your piece usage and this hurts the aesthetic quality of the map.

There are other problems I found but these are the ones that were most pressing to me.

Apr 27, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
I haven't really made this playable yet which is why the overshield doesn't spawn, I was toying with the idea of having a sword spawn in later at the same position, but have the overshield just spawn initially. I kind of liked the idea of having to drop down to get it but I get where you're coming from.

As for pathing, I think that long ass top/bottom red is responsible for that mainly, I wanted to redesign it anyway because I used way too many pieces there. I'm thinking of having it dip down a bit more so I don't have to use the corner 4 x 4's as those clunky ramps and to change it's long ass nature, I'm going to either curve or angle it. This could also help make top green a power position as it will then be able to get sightlines on red and blue.

In regards to the sniper, that was exactly my reasoning. I'm also a little unsure of where player count will be going with this though.

Railings are something I was going to add down the line anyway.

Regarding the consistency of piece usage, was this the swapping of 3 x 4's and 4's?

Thanks for the feedback, this will all be very useful.

Reactions: Narzlid