Gaming Xbox One Review

For this review there will be a few categories i will cover here.
Layout of the interface
Voice Commands/Hand Gestures
Functionality of the Console
Features: Good
Features: Bad
Controller

Layout of the Interface

The layout of this console i feel that it was trying to condense everything into two screens and therefore acting more so like a windows phone than an actual console. For a comparison the 360 had its multiple categorizations (Games, marketplace, settings, etc) and a windows phone makes you pin stuff to your home screen. The software for this i felt relied too much on the kinect's voice commands. But it was still accessible through other means but i feel that the kinect was the only shortcut to opening the apps and other areas fast enough. Although the interface takes time getting used too it wasn't that hard too deal with. When buying this console keep in mind that all recent games you've played will be listed at the bottom of the screen as shown in a photo.
image.jpg

(It only shows the one game but it will show all of your most recent games to fill the bottom row)

All in all, the interface i will give an end rating of 6/10 stars

Voice Commands/Hand Gestures

The voice commands are a very useful tool when you're not in the mod to press a few buttons to do what you want. A few of the most used commands that I have used are listed below.
Xbox On
Xbox Turn Off, Yes
Xbox Go Home
Xbox Record That

The voice commands are a useful tool for opening the desired apps as they can be difficult to find as previously stated.

The hand gestures i find only work if you can manage to execute them perfectly, without error. This can be annoying to a lot of people because Microsoft made them look a lot easier than they are. For example the one for closing apps is spread arms, open palmed. Then you close your hands into a fist and pull inward (towards your chest). It only works if two pull tabs appear on either side of the screen. This i find can be very frustrating because it can take up to several attempts to execute them properly.

Hand gestures gets a rating of 5/10 stars.
Voice commands - 10/10

Functionality
How the console functions you ask? It runs smoothly and functions fairly well. No notable problems. (Very short overview because there wasn't much to say)

9/10

Features:Good
Some very notable features of the console were the Voice Commands, seamless transition between the home screen and the game being played, the kinects ability to recognize and sign you in if you're holding the controller.

Features: Bad
There were no necessarily "bad" features but there were the small things with high value missing. What i mean is the ability is seeing your controllers battery percentage, people getting online, the mini dashboard, inviting people to parties is harder. But hopefully these things can be added into the software in future updates.

Controller
The controller is a brilliant upgrade from the 360's controller. I cannot tell you how good it is. After playing with it for a few dash and then holding the 360's controller i was shocked how different they felt. The triggers feel a lot better and gaming experiences are enhanced with impulse triggers and the dpad went from being a terrible part of it to an amazing feature. The dpad runs a lot better and you no longer have to worry about those pesky taps that push it the wrong way. The sticks being smaller actually improve my gameplay surprisingly. Although the bumpers are bigger they do have nice qualities as well. My only complaint with them is trying to hold them down for awhile is a little irritating but only in cod will you really have to do that.

Rating - 11/10

Notes: You will have to download and install games on your console before playing them which is annoying because of the time it takes. It takes about an hour or so per game FOR A FULL DOWNLOAD. Patience is a virtue.... If you feel like waiting that long. Depending on your game it will allow you to play it while it downloads and install at a certain point. It's a nice feature but with its downisides as well. Since it's not fully installed content I'll be missing from the game which in turn limits you a lot with you to the point of frustration.

OVERALL RATING - 8.5/10

Feb 1, 2013
Australia
It does not take an hour to download games for me. anyway when the game has downloaded the actual part where you play, ( which takes about 10 minutes) then u can play the game u just don't have all the features so it's like playing the demo then u just have to wait half an hour or so which does not take to long since u r playing a new game

It does not take an hour to download games for me. anyway when the game has downloaded the actual part where you play, ( which takes about 10 minutes) then u can play the game u just don't have all the features so it's like playing the demo then u just have to wait half an hour or so which does not take to long since u r playing a new game

True Ill make that a bit clearer. a ninja samuri

Reactions: a ninja samuri