Halo What Happened to duel wielding?

BigStack

Server Caretaker
Staff member
Dec 23, 2012
It got lost along with all the other aspects of what made halo great. Somewhere between halo 3 release and reach

BigStack

Server Caretaker
Staff member
Dec 23, 2012
O, yea but if you didn't notice most of what Bungie did to Halo was fixed in H4.
I do not see any competitive playlists, Ranks, 1 Flag, Bomb, dual wield (where it actually benefited you in Halo 2 dual wields were amazing at close range now its just wipe out the AR and beat down) or maps that are actually playable for long periods of time. I would play h2 Zanzibar 1 Flag ALL day.

Reactions: Ariel Morgan

FREEDOM COBRA

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
United States, Mississippi
I do not see any competitive playlists, Ranks, 1 Flag, Bomb, dual wield (where it actually benefited you in Halo 2 dual wields were amazing at close range now its just wipe out the AR and beat down) or maps that are actually playable for long periods of time. I would play h2 Zanzibar 1 Flag ALL day.
? The fact you want a ranked playlist is horrible.

BigStack

Server Caretaker
Staff member
Dec 23, 2012
? The fact you want a ranked playlist is horrible.
Why would wanting a playlist that made halo 2/3 so amazing as to be good get a rank and then rank up again. Its like Life and playing a sport. The good people get medals and the people who suck don't. Im not a fan of giving away participation medals. I want something to strive for. The reason I play so much halo back in the day is because I wanted that 50 I wanted to earn my rank. Now there's nothing to strive for or a goal to earn.

I fail to see why that is horrible.

GatorLaid

Podcast Crew
Dec 29, 2012
How exactly would a ranked playlist hurt the game? You can still play the other gametypes, and it would actually take the competitive players that everyone seems to hate and put them somewhere else. Seems like a win/win to me.

Fuzzle

Wuschelig
Jan 10, 2013
Under the Traveler
halo reach's customs were very cool @BIGSTACK :p
i really laughed at people using the needler in halo 1 (i played it online for 5 years), but i really like the way it is now :)
DW is not needed for me since i played solely halo 1 until halo reach, because i didnt have a xbox. im not missing it

Asunder

Qualified
Feb 1, 2013
San Diego, CA
Dual wielding might never come back. I'm not surprised it's not in Halo 4 though because of all the weapons that exist, and what little one handed weapons exist. Neither the Plasma Rifle, SMG or Mauler are in the game, and those were the perfect weapons for dual wielding.

SFGR PHOENIX

Novice
Feb 2, 2013
The reason that Duel-wielding was taken out was because 343 felt that we weren't using it right. They thought Bungie's original intention was to use one gun, and have a second in your hand to increase your ammo capacity in the primary. Apparently, spraying two Needlers is frowned upon, so the feature was removed. True Story.

Fuzzle

Wuschelig
Jan 10, 2013
Under the Traveler
The reason that Duel-wielding was taken out was because 343 felt that we weren't using it right. They thought Bungie's original intention was to use one gun, and have a second in your hand to increase your ammo capacity in the primary. Apparently, spraying two Needlers is frowned upon, so the feature was removed. True Story.
so you say that bungie didnt think of the possibility that people could use both? bullshit :D

SFGR PHOENIX

Novice
Feb 2, 2013
No I didn't. I said that 343 didn't like how we were using the feature, so they removed it. I understand that there were different combos of weapons that could be used, but a lot of people just grabbed two of the same and went to work.

GatorLaid

Podcast Crew
Dec 29, 2012
No I didn't. I said that 343 didn't like how we were using the feature, so they removed it. I understand that there were different combos of weapons that could be used, but a lot of people just grabbed two of the same and went to work.
My theory is that they forgot about it, just like they forgot most of objective.

MC Stargate

Novice
Feb 1, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I personally never liked due wielding, I felt it restricted me. (Mostly with grenades) And I do think that if they had duel wielding they would have to nerff every duel weldable weapon to be basically worthless without a second one. As it is a single Magnum is about as powerful as a DMR if your able to use it right, Which includes hitting EVERY shot. But I will admit that I never really gave duel wielding a fair chance, I wasn't able to be part of the Halo 2-3 multi player community. I got my first Xbox when Reach had already been out for a while. (Though I have played all the other Halos including the original CE but basically just their campaigns.)

FloydRTC95

Adept
Jan 9, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I think we need it back, with some restrictions and modifications. Dual charged Boltshots is as OP as the Halo 4 DMR or a Binary Rifle with Damage Boost. I have a huge list of things that would be cool for Halo 5, and that includes mid-range, dual-wield weapons like the SMG and Spiker. If dual-wielding came back, they'd need to make new weapons for it or bring back old ones...which wouldn't be bad at all!

FatThe2nd

Proficient
Feb 7, 2013
Food court
Well, think about it. The side arms in this game are insanely good. It takes 5 shots ( i believe ) for the DMR to kill someone, same with the pistol. Now, imagine holding 2 pistols. That would be a two second kill. Also, imagine boltshot AND pistol

FloydRTC95

Adept
Jan 9, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I think the Boltshot needs a slight damage boost anyway, it takes 11 shots to kill someone and the clip has 10. And the sidearms aren't THAT good, the Boltshot is amazing but the Plasma Pistol seems seriously nerfed. And the Magnum and I haven't gotten along since Halo: CE (because the AutoMag is a different weapon...and it was glorious). We need medium-range weapons again, good ones.

FatThe2nd

Proficient
Feb 7, 2013
Food court
I think the Boltshot needs a slight damage boost anyway, it takes 11 shots to kill someone and the clip has 10. And the sidearms aren't THAT good, the Boltshot is amazing but the Plasma Pistol seems seriously nerfed. And the Magnum and I haven't gotten along since Halo: CE (because the AutoMag is a different weapon...and it was glorious). We need medium-range weapons again, good ones.

Cmon bro, thats crazy. Boltshot is the strongest and most over-used weapon in this game. It needs to be toned-down. plasma pistol is used pretty much only for BTB, and you'd be stupid not to use it for BTB. The magnum is a decent all-around weapon which some people do prefer, and the only medium range weapon that was good and not in Halo 4 was the SMG, which was only good if duel-wielded. All the weapons in this game (except for DMR and boltshot) are completely fine in this game.

FloydRTC95

Adept
Jan 9, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Cmon bro, thats crazy. Boltshot is the strongest and most over-used weapon in this game. It needs to be toned-down. plasma pistol is used pretty much only for BTB, and you'd be stupid not to use it for BTB. The magnum is a decent all-around weapon which some people do prefer, and the only medium range weapon that was good and not in Halo 4 was the SMG, which was only good if duel-wielded. All the weapons in this game (except for DMR and boltshot) are completely fine in this game.

Sorry bro, can't agree. The Boltshot is OP at close range, because it's instant-kill range is ridiculous. That needs to be fixed. But it's single-fire power is completely underwhelming. If I fire an entire clip of the Plasma Pistol or Magnum into someone, they die. Simple. But an entire clip of the Boltshot can't kill ANYONE (when fired semi-auto, of course). The OP charged shot should be fixed, but it's base damage should be raised. The DMR and I have a long-standing feud (mostly because I think it's got some bullshit power) but the Boltshot needs fixing. As for the Plasma Pistol, it's damn hard to kill someone with it, and the EMP is mostly only good to use on vehicles. I used to use it in Halo 3 CONSTANTLY because I could overcharge and punch someone quickly and they'd be GONE. Now, it's ridiculously hard to hit someone with the overcharge (unless they're in a vehicle). The SMG was glorious, it had the highest FPS of ANY weapon and they were awesome when paired with a plasma weapon or the Spiker.
Basically, I think we need mid-range, dual-wield weapons back in the game, with dual wielding as an option. With weapons and designs found in the game code (like the Burst Pistol and the Bishop Beam) we had some decent ideas for short-mid range sidearm-type weapons that would've worked FANTASTICALLY for dual-wielding. I say we need the Plasma Rifle (and the Brute version), the Spiker, the SMG and those two unused weapons in the next game for dual-wielding to come back.