Mini Game USS Sinker

PoDoPro 48661

Novice
Feb 16, 2014
USS Sinker (version 1.0) - WWII style Kamikaze defense

Hey this is my first map I'm posting!

So Divine Wind on USS Sinker recreates the Kamikaze attacks of WWII. One team flies Kamikazes (Banshees) into the Battleship's turrets (Scorpions)! By using the Ricochet gametype as a base, the 8 Banshees are the balls and the 3 Scorpions are the goals. When a Banshee ball enters a Scorpion goal, the goal is destroyed permanently, so expect the final goal to be heavily defended!

I want to make more Divine Wind kamikaze maps in the future so let me know...

Read more about this map...

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
Cool idea! Nothing new, but I´ve never seen this type of a map using ricochet ;) How long does it take for a banshee to fly to the ship? It seems to be a pretty wide distance...

PoDoPro 48661

Novice
Feb 16, 2014
It takes a little bit to fly there. I wanted to make sure it felt like you actually had to fly out from your base ~ thus the ship is on the edge of the map. I got this idea over a year ago, just never did it 'till now. I wish I did it back when ship maps weren't so common :/

Reactions: Buddy

PoDoPro 48661

Novice
Feb 16, 2014
Plus with the long distance, the banshees can actually sneak up on the scorpions ~ they're out of range of radar.
It forces people to actually search the skies to find who's attacking

Reactions: Buddy

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
I played this map yesterday in a lobby of four, and it was a blast! I can only imagine how much fun it would be in a larger lobby- if it plays as well as I expect it to, I'll make sure to come back and rate it 5-stars.

A few things I'd consider though:

-Use a soft kill boundary to limit the height at which the banshees can fly. Perhaps you can slant it so that the max height decreases a little as you approach the ship. It's no fun when the aircraft approach at max altitude, when they can't be hit.

-I noticed that you increased the damage for players on the ship. You should also give players maximum overshields so that they aren't shot out of the banshee before it is destroyed (this happened once, and the defending team was able to recover the banshee and use it against the enemy pilots). You can use a trait zone on the ship to negate that, so the Americans (players on the ship) have regular shields.

-I didn't do much exploring on the ship, but I never saw any weapons but the scorpions and a machine gun turret. I'd recommend making the weapons' locations more obvious, for example, by using ordinance drops or by having the players spawn in the weapons room (if there are any other weapons).

-You should try to do a better job securing the tanks into place. I was able to do a significant amount of back and forth movement, and I almost wiggled free.

Otherwise, great job- I'll be playing this map for a long time to come.

Reactions: PoDoPro 48661

PoDoPro 48661

Novice
Feb 16, 2014
I do have a lot of changes I'd like to make so I'll get on those ... soon I hope.
& @SchockBolt21 : I actually had no other weapons on map besides scorpions and machine guns (and one hidden DMR). & yes I do dislike what I did with the tanks. I had trouble fitting them in even that large of a space (lots of glitching)