Halo Use of Kinect in Halo 5

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
I've been trying to think of different ways that the Xbox One's Kinect could be used in the next Halo game, particularly in forge. Here's a list of possible ideas I've brainstormed that may or may not be helpful.

Motion Controls

-Use of hands to rotate or position objects (close suspended hand to grab an object, move it around to rotate or reposition it, open hand to let go). This will certainly be a more intuitive option and will probably be easier for newer forgers, but for the rest of us it may be just as easy to use the analog sticks.

-Use of hands to move objects around on a larger scale (think of moving pieces around a chess board- place hand over object, close fist to grab, move object to reposition it, open hand to release it A cursor will show where your hand is, and objects will be highlighted as you glide over them). This would be useful for arranging objects across an entire building or landscape- for example, if you are overlooking your entire map, you can grab multiple objects in succession and position them where you need them on the map without ever actually needing to move the monitor. It could also be used to arrange various pieces, such as weapons, on a wall. Buttons on the controller could be used to control object movement speed between precision (slow), normal, or fast, or any other increments. The other hand can be lifted and used to rotate the object.

-Melee in game (thrust fist or elbow forward to melee). It may be easier to just press the button, but think of how satisfying it would be to thrust your fist out and watch the enemy die on the screen, as if you actually did hit them.

Voice Commands

-Set various settings (for example: say "Rotation Snap 45" or "Magnets On")

-Change object properties (For example, say which texture you'd like to add to an object, or something like "Spawn Time 180")

-Spawn an object just by saying its name (example- "Spawn Block Two-by-Two" or "Spawn Fusion Coil") or navigate to a particular menu ("Go to Structure" or "Open Weapons")

Note that, I'm just throwing around ideas and possibilities here. Of course, these will not replace the ability to use the controller to perform these tasks- they will just provide an alternative. Make sure to leave a comment if you'd like to share your opinions or leave a suggestion of your own.

Reactions: FREEDOM COBRA

Epichair

Master
Jul 25, 2013
Yorkshire, England
As stupid as it is to just suddenly put the controller down, using it the control an energy sword would be awesome:3
Maybe you could use it for an AC game mode/map, but otherwise, it'd be useless.

Also using it for controlling ghosts' strafing (leaning side to side) or aiming the individual mantis arms, in fact, you could probably use your whole body to control the mantis, which would also give you a massive feeling of awesomeness:D (so long as they took out the stomp, because with kinect control, you can't limit the rate that they use the mantis stomp)
I don't think though, that you could use the kinect for any other vehicles...

As far as forging goes, I'm liking your ideas, maybe add in extending your hands diagonally to go into precision forging, and despanding (is that a word?) them to go back to normal.
And speech before you rotate, so that you can "Rotate around, X"(axis), and the same for Y and Z, this would make it a lot easier to only rotate that way rather than crazy rotating all ways, to return to crazy rotating, "Rotate, free"

That's all I got for now, but this was fun, thinking of ways to implement kinetc into Halo, and I'm hoping to see other people's ideas soon.:)

Reactions: ShockBolt21

FREEDOM COBRA

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
United States, Mississippi
Its worth saying for anyone that doesn't have an X1(most people currently), the new Kinect is pretty damn cool. Unlike the original it works as intended and I wouldn't be against Kinect support(to an extend) in any game. With all that out of the way, I really wouldn't see it being an option for actual combat but I like the forge ideas.

Reactions: ShockBolt21

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
how would you get precision out of hand movements?
Unlike the old one, the new Kinect is designed to recognize slight gestures like the ones mentioned above, so it can be more smoothly integrated into otherwise conventional controller-based gameplay. Currently, you can use hand gestures to navigate the xbox one home screen (raise hand to make hand cursor appear, close fist to grab screen, move hand to scroll back and forth, press forward to select something), and it actually works pretty well. Also, it can still be further improved through updates that improve the base code for gesture recognition. But even now, the kinect should accurately recognize the hand movements.

theSpinCycle

Adept
Dec 31, 2012
Unlike the old one, the new Kinect is designed to recognize slight gestures like the ones mentioned above, so it can be more smoothly integrated into otherwise conventional controller-based gameplay. Currently, you can use hand gestures to navigate the xbox one home screen (raise hand to make hand cursor appear, close fist to grab screen, move hand to scroll back and forth, press forward to select something), and it actually works pretty well. Also, it can still be further improved through updates that improve the base code for gesture recognition. But even now, the kinect should accurately recognize the hand movements.

I think I'm not being clear.. let me clarify.

How would the kinect be able to tell the difference between me selecting a block and the block next to it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that it's a bad idea. I just don't think that it's a great idea.

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
How would the kinect be able to tell the difference between me selecting a block and the block next to it?
There will be a cursor on the screen. When you move your hand to the left, the cursor will move left, and same holds for the right, up, and down (though the monitor won't move). The block underneath the cursor will be the one that you select.

If you have an xbox one, try using the hand controls at the main menu to get a glimpse of how it could work.

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
The Kinect controls you mentioned, would be mostly redundant, and would not be practical.

It'd be a cool thing to try out once, like the Kinect voice command in Halo: CEA, but ultimately useless.

Reactions: theSpinCycle

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
The Kinect controls you mentioned, would be mostly redundant, and would not be practical.
I think that's the general opinion people have now toward voice and motion controls, and I disagree.

Ultimately useless? Certainly not. Unfortunately neither of us can really prove our points yet, but I'm quite confident that the voice controls will speed up navigation through the menus, and the second option I mentioned for motion should make it easier for forgers to move and position multiple objects across long distances faster and more easily, assuming that they all work well. I'm not saying that we're on the verge of some bigass revolution, but voice and motion would be far from useless. Additionally, conventional controls will always be available also- voice and motion will only be supplementary- so players can always use whichever is more comfortable or convenient for the situation.