Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Life sucks

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Mr Rogers4

Master
Jan 21, 2013
Utah
I am interested to know everybody's concept about life and life in general. Good things, bad things, interesting concepts, whatever comes to mind. I personally love life. Start discussing.

Reactions: PandaMan

PandaMan

Master
Jan 24, 2013
California
plug.dj
Still being slightly religious, I'm going to offer my two opinions and ways that I live.

How I live currently is on the belief that if one is generally a good person, he shall go on to live in some sort of afterlife (a good one). So I live life to experience it, make connections, and try new things. Money isn't much of a sought after thing for me. It is just a thing that makes life a little bit easier. Basically, in this thinking, I believe that the meaning in life is to live it to the fullest. Don't worry about finances. Practice letting the small things go, they really don't matter. Live life to be happy with friends, start a loving family that will give you endless joy and, of course, stress, and finally try at least one new thing every day.

The other opinion is that life is a form of test, an entrance exam, if you will, to get into Heaven. Live is not to be lived for oneself, but is to be used to help others, and spread the good of God. I used to live this way, and it is difficult, at least for me.

So bam wham shalam, there's my opinion.

Oh and 42.

Reactions: Mr Rogers4

Mr Rogers4

Master
Jan 21, 2013
Utah
I guess I should also explain my way of looking at life.
Like Pandaman, I am a religious man and I believe that is a life after this. I see the good in people and try not to not judge anyone. I don't think being mad or angry, being a negative person does any good and doesn't fix anything. It's the positive and the happy things that makes the world go forward. If you know me on a personal level, I am usually happy most of the time.
Doing good to your fellow man would do wonders. I wonder what if everyone helped each other out? Would the world be a paradise if that was the case? Who knows....

undr zid

Proficient
Feb 6, 2013
murika
www.forgecafe.com
42 is often referred to as the answer to the meaning of life, but rarely do I actually come across someone who knows what that means. Wherever you heard it from first, know that it comes from old inscriptions of magic. The dice that are used in most board games and especially card games, at least the way they are numbered, come from the same old school magic. If I remember, Coldplay titled a song that, but they were "most likely" referring to it's usage of a play on words. "Four-ty-two" becomes "Tea for two". Which if anyone knows last generations punk bands, Blind Melon's "No Rain" also makes a mention of it. It's basic alchemy, and the answer is pretty easy to figure out if you just look at 2 dice.

Aside from that ramble, the meaning of life in obviously dependent on the observer. Without the existence of your eyeballs there would be nothing to see, no ears nothing to hear and so forth. So without you, none of this would even exist to begin with, you are observing something that you had no part in it's creation other than altering and being altered by it. Depending on what you believe, either we decided for us, or someone decided for us what we should be doing and what we should not be doing. Exploding stars do not care if you are a bad person or a good person, you will still melt either way. The only answer that is hard to come by, is what really happens after death. None of us have been dead, yet...so no one can really say. Either way, a immortal soul traveling through dimensions and portals in divine realms, or a microcosmic inward deletion of consciousness at your last breath, both are equally terrifying on some level to anyone. If there is something, then it would probably be in your best interest to be a good person, for the sake of the living, as well as your afterlife. If there is nothing, then any logical thinking creature would come to terms with the fact that existence is good, and continuing that existence would be necessary for survival. Even if it's just a chemical reaction that propels people to take care of themselves and each other, seems ignorant to assume that you are exempt from that and willingly choose to be destructive.

Somewhere along the lines it got flipped. I can safely say we did it ourselves, but it's not really possible to trace to any one moment. At one time it was much easier to be good than bad, and being bad was like swimming against the current. Now it is much easier to be bad, and for most people harder to be good. I am not talking 20 years, but possibly thousands of years ago this happened and we just went along with it. So if I were to wrap up my short novel here, the meaning of life is to do everything you can, whenever you can, however you can, and in as many ways as you can, to reverse that. You and I will not be alive in 100 years, so the most urgent matter to attend to is to treat others good, identify problems in the world and decide what you can do something about and do it. Don't spend your days with your head in the clouds ignorant to issues, try to help fix them. Those are the source of most of our suffering on every level, and they can be fixed. Problem is, people have phones that make pancakes and social accounts, and that is as enchanting to a "civilized" person as a rattle is to an infant. It's colorful and makes noises, and it is one hell of a distraction. See how I said 'hell' there? eh...nvm.

sorry for long text, but it is a pretty big question.

Reactions: Buddy
Apr 27, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
42. Four being shi and two being ni in Japanese. Shini then being translated roughly to shinigami, the god of death. So it literally means the meaning of life is death. Depressing, but kinda true. We're all going to die one day, it's what we make of it beforehand that matters.

Reactions: undr zid and Buddy

undr zid

Proficient
Feb 6, 2013
murika
www.forgecafe.com
42. Four being shi and two being ni in Japanese. Shini then being translated roughly to shinigami, the god of death. So it literally means the meaning of life is death. Depressing, but kinda true. We're all going to die one day, it's what we make of it beforehand that matters.

Believe it or not, it actually comes from something prior to that. But your reference is spot on. Building on what you just said, "So it literally means the meaning of life is death", you are correct. Adding all of the numbers on a pair of dice equals 42. In proper context, "die" is a word used to describe a pair of dice. In fact, if I remember right, the same Coldplay album that "42" is on has a short melody of a very old Japanese lullaby. I could be wrong, but it's in between 2 songs and is very faintly sung.

Wikipedia:
"A die (plural dice, which can also be used as the singular,[1] from French , from Latin datum "something which is given or played")[2] is a small throwable object with multiple resting positions, used for generating random numbers."

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
The purpose of life is to enjoy it.

...Technically, life evolved and developed around the ability to keep your genes in circulation, which means surviving, reproducing, and caring for your young. That is all we were created for (looking from a non religious perspective). But I strongly believe that people should live life for the sake of comfort and enjoyment.