Introduction Sup everyone

Jan 10, 2013
Seattle
I'm Tyler, 21, from the surrounding Seattle area. In school right now getting an AAS in game design, more specifically level design.

Gamertag: UnloadedVelociT

I've been playing Halo since the first one released like most around my age here probably have. I really like competitive gametypes, to better myself by playing people better than me. Both Slayer & Objective are fun, and I'll pretty much try any custom gametype that's fun. Some of the more fun ones that aren't competitive are Ro-Sham-Bo, Derby & Duck Hunt (Depending on which variation it is). Most of the maps I've made are built more for competitive play, but can be used with either regular slayer settings or MLG.

Other things I do while not playing are smoking hookah, watching Clone wars, Parks & Rec, Breaking bad (when the new season comes out, finished every episode so far), and hanging out with some of my friends who also play to play some other games and other stuff. My girlfriend is also another priority, but she also loves the Halo series, so it works out!

Favorite color is green.

I'm also an optimist that 343i is going to fix the broken problems that many have complained about (look at the dropping numbers playing since launch). Hopefully with that, they'll fix forge & custom game settings (Looking at Instant respawn, sprint, and no assault/juggernaut/1flag gametype)

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
Hello! Great intro! Going to digiPen? That's a guess, but I know it's where a lot of people go for the level design/game design majors. I love getting people in those majors around here because they bring great experience and opinions to the table :)

Great to have you here!

Jan 10, 2013
Seattle
Hello! Great intro! Going to digiPen? That's a guess, but I know it's where a lot of people go for the level design/game design majors. I love getting people in those majors around here because they bring great experience and opinions to the table :)

Great to have you here!
Actually at Lake Washington Institute of Technology, goes unnoticed, but one of the best game design programs, though of course not better than DigiPen. DigiPen was way too expensive for me. I do however have a friend & his girlfriend that goes there, and he also plays Halo, but is more into the modeling/animation aspect.

Jan 10, 2013
Seattle
In my high school we actually didn't have very many classes pertaining to it, there was a 3D animation course we had at one point that we took, but was dated by the time I got into my classes in college. If your school has any kind of computer programming classes, animation classes, take those, and especially take some drawing classes.

One good thing to do is get your hands dirty in some programs yourself. UDK (Unreal Development Kit) is open source, and highly used by a lot of game companies, and you can kind of get a feel for how things work on bringing models/textures in and laying them out, or editing terrain. Maya, & Zbrush are also some good programs to at least kind of check out and look around at.

I also think, at least for level editing, forge is a great tool to learn with on the aspect of moving stuff around, and getting some balanced multiplayer maps, as it's similar to UDK (besides not being able to bring in textures or models of your own). And from what I've seen, some companies will hire people based on mods for games they did, or a map they made. Valve specifically has hired a lot of people without any kind of game design degree just based on that fact, because experience is way more valuable than a piece of paper saying you got that experience (though both help).

With jobs, I actually haven't been looking too hard since I'm not that close to graduating, and most companies don't seem to be interning for level design (didn't start the game design program until last year, and was only doing part time for a while because of money), but for me, being in Seattle area should help, with 343, Valve, and a few other game studios being around here. I would LOVE to work for 343 though, as Halo is definitely my favorite series.