Map Preview Space Station DELTA *WIP*

whackedsubset3

Qualified
Jan 10, 2013
Hamilton, New Zealand
so i started making a flood map and i have the body of the map done but i need help with ideas on what where to put barriers etc? its a symmetrical map. it is on my file share and any help comments etc. would be appreciated :)

Essias

C'est la vie, mon ami
Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles
Alright I checked it out. I think the biggest issue is the size of the map. While (with the advent of thruster packs being the only option for infected) you want to space your maps out a little more, that is, to have a wider scale, yours is just too big.

That is not to say that there couldn't be a successful Flood/Infection map of that size, because I think there can (and almost certainly needs to be, given the above) but the main issue is your map is large, looped and has little interplay between the various levels and corridors. You have these huge sightlines (which is your stated concern so that's good) with really one entrance and one exit in each one. What I mean is, anybody on the map, in any given point, aside from the rare X-intersection here and there, only has one escape route aside from the way they just came from. That's bad.

People can camp in one corridor, even if there is cover, and stay there the entire match really.

So, solutions.

Really, you should revamp your design. You can keep the basic idea, looping walkways and hallways that cross over and through each other, but you may need to scale the entire map down (by not using those Impact-specific corridor pieces) and almost certainly need to connect the various walkways to each other in more ways. For example, anywhere the map crosses over itself you can put a drop-down or a mancannon up. Those are basic but it should give you an idea of what to do with your map.

After that, sprinkle some ammo around the map, add more than a fair share of cover, and you should, at the very least, have a workable map to tweak.

I wrote a pretty extensive guide on making infection maps here if you really want to get into the mindset behind creating these maps.

If you have any further questions let me know.

cjw255

Proficient
Jan 12, 2013
Alright I checked it out. I think the biggest issue is the size of the map. While (with the advent of thruster packs being the only option for infected) you want to space your maps out a little more, that is, to have a wider scale, yours is just too big.

That is not to say that there couldn't be a successful Flood/Infection map of that size, because I think there can (and almost certainly needs to be, given the above) but the main issue is your map is large, looped and has little interplay between the various levels and corridors. You have these huge sightlines (which is your stated concern so that's good) with really one entrance and one exit in each one. What I mean is, anybody on the map, in any given point, aside from the rare X-intersection here and there, only has one escape route aside from the way they just came from. That's bad.

People can camp in one corridor, even if there is cover, and stay there the entire match really.

So, solutions.

Really, you should revamp your design. You can keep the basic idea, looping walkways and hallways that cross over and through each other, but you may need to scale the entire map down (by not using those Impact-specific corridor pieces) and almost certainly need to connect the various walkways to each other in more ways. For example, anywhere the map crosses over itself you can put a drop-down or a mancannon up. Those are basic but it should give you an idea of what to do with your map.

After that, sprinkle some ammo around the map, add more than a fair share of cover, and you should, at the very least, have a workable map to tweak.

I wrote a pretty extensive guide on making infection maps here if you really want to get into the mindset behind creating these maps.

If you have any further questions let me know.
this was so useful thanks