Core Solarity

Tat3rs

Novice
Mar 11, 2016
Solarity (version v1.0) - A Forerunner facility on Requiem discovered by one of Infinity's fleeing Fireteams

solarity_overhead-01-png.16985

Story Background:

On July 21, 2557, following a distress call from UNSC frigate Forward Unto Dawn the prototype starship UNSC Infinity crash landed on the forerunner planet Requiem. Its captain, Andrew Del Rio, deployed Spartan and Marine Fireteams in an attempt to secure a perimeter. These Fireteams quickly incurred heavy casualties upon...

Read more about this map...

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
The other judges and I were really excited when we saw this submitted to the Meet Your Maker contest. From your top-down layout drawing, to your screenshots, to the composition of your post, we could tell that a lot of effort had gone into the map and I especially couldn't wait to check it out.

We were mostly happy with the layout and the overall construction of the map; we had concerns aboput spawn trapping in the bases from the central structure and a few smaller gameplay-related concerns as well. We were, of course, impressed by the art style and loved the look of the map. All told, we were really looking forward to playing it.

But, then we saw some serious issues with polish on the map. There were significant framerate performance issues, though that is largely the fault of changes to Forge introduced in the June update. There were some LoD issues with pieces popping out when viewed from a distance as well, though this was not your fault either. More concerning, though, was player containment. Using the aerial vehicles or some clever jumping, players could easily escape the map. Kill volumes and invisible blockers are needed to prevent players from exploiting and downright escaping the level. Of equal concern was the small number of spawn points placed and the general openness of the areas most of them were placed in. Unfortunately, these issues were too egregious to allow us to stress-test the map as we needed to for the contest.

Please consider revisiting the map to fix these issues. The map is way too cool to go unnoticed because of such easily fixed problems. Once spawning and containment are solidified, testing can begin in earnest and this map can be on its way to reaching its potential. If you need any assistance or would like more detailed descriptions of the issues listed above, please don't hesitate to ask.

Tat3rs

Novice
Mar 11, 2016
Hey Psychoduck, thanks for your reply, I really appreciate all of the feedback! Happy to hear you think it has potential. I had a lot of fun making this map and pulling inspiration from various places. I was aware of the problems you mentioned like the draw distances and framerate, I'll be honest when I say that was my stopping point. Guessing the only way to fix those issues is to remove objects? But because of that the other issues like spawns and containment were overlooked mostly because I never tested a full 8v8 party. I meant to but never got around to it, hopefully we can make that happen once I adjust a few things. I think ultimately my main focus was the aesthetics and so I definitely want to bring the gameplay full circle. It would be great to get a full party to test it after the tweaks so let me know if you would be interested. Thanks again man!