Map Preview Reactor (3v3 Competitive?)

FrostPhoenix0

Novice
Aug 19, 2014
Hey guys,
Recently I have taken up trying to build maps on Forge, although I have never been particularly good at it, and often I lack the inclination to continue. This is the first map that I have started to build with a slight concept in mind, which does help. I pretty much just began by building the core aesthetic piece, which is the reactor and the light bridge over the top. After building the central area, everything kind of just came out as I was Forging. I have very little idea of how well it plays, as I have only briefly playtested it with one other person. For now, I am more delighted by the look of the map. It may be bias talking, but I love the look of this map in completion.

Thematically, it's meant to be sort of like the Forerunner structure was recently excavated to reveal a reactor that has been more or less untouched for eons. To complement the Forerunner origins of the map, I have included extraction crates hidden away behind glass panels to give the feel of the glowing blue lines that are typical of their structures. The reactor itself can be traversed along the top to access a power weapon (currently an incineration cannon; I made all ordnance Promethean for the time being).

reactor3.jpg

[This is the reactor. You can clearly jump off one side, run along the top and onto the other side of the map.]

The second, lesser noticed, piece of the map is the light bridge. It is constructed in the typical style, with 4 foot terminals providing the solid surface and shield doors giving the light effect.

reactor4.jpg

[The light bridge runs over the top of the reactor, so you are able to see if anybody is collecting the power weapon.]

In the above image, we are also able to see the elevated walkway. This gives a height advantage and provides access to a second power weapon (currently binary rifle), though it does not have a lot of cover.

This area is the red spawn (I think). It provides a decent amount of cover, but no real incentives for staying put. Ramps down to the left and right lead to the reactor and the incineration cannon. A light rifle drops on the center walkway at the back. This walkway (somewhat mirrored on the opposing side) provides good elevation for laying down fire on opponents in the centre of the map, however, it is almost entirely devoid of cover, so camping there is not advisable.

reactor2.jpg

[Boltshot and pulse grenade spawns occur between the inclined shields on either side.]

reactor1.jpg

[Another image of the red spawn area, looking toward the centre of the map. All grass areas are off limits and will generally be covered by hard kill zones.]

reactor7.jpg

[Final, overhead picture of the red spawn area and map centre. I was unable to get the entire map in one shot due to the Forerunner structure.]

Finally, we look at the blue spawn. It contains the same weapons as the red spawn with the locations more or less mirrored. Yesterday I overhauled the centre of the base, and I may do so again today, as the spacing is not quite right. We can see the raised walkway at the back which is directly opposite the walkway in the red spawn.

The central building provides cover for players who are entering the area to assault those who are camping there. There are a couple of tunnels under this base, opening a couple of routes to attack from. I think I need to change this later though, as the tunnels are a little too small. The walkways on either side of the base provide an area to attack those who enter the base, but again, they offer only one piece of cover to make up for it.

reactor5.jpg

reactor6.jpg

[For some reason, I took this picture rotated 90 degrees from the other overhead. If it is unclear, the red spawn would be straight upwards.]

Anyway, this is the map that I have been working on recently. It's pretty much my first serious attempt at a competitive map, so any constructive criticism is welcome. If you want to check the map out, it's on my fileshare (the only map there), where it is called 'Reactor Modified'. My gamer tag is 'FrostPhoenix0' <-This is a zero at the end, not a capital O.

Alright, thanks for reading if you made it this far,
Tom

Last edited:

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Hi there, it's always good to see someone else interested in Forge. However, as Aub has said, your screenshots were not correctly embedded. I would recommend downloading the screenshots from Waypoint and then uploading them directly to your post here with the "upload file" button. I look forward to actually seeing your work!

FrostPhoenix0

Novice
Aug 19, 2014
Sorry about that, they were showing when I did it earlier. Anyway, can you see them now? I think I did what you suggested.