[Q] H2A Forge: Spawnpoints over time

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I'm not sure what can be done as far as actually spawning in and despawning respawn points throughout the match, but you could ask Master Debaytes.

What I do know is that you could use timers to spawn and despawn objects covering respawn points, having the same effect. This is what we did in Conversion to create progressive spawning back in H4, but with scripting timers you can now do this more freely.

Master Debaytes

⚆▽⚆
Dec 31, 2012
UF
You should be able to use switches to spawn and despawn spawn points in a game. You need to match the broadcast channel of the switches to match the spawn channel of the spawn points, and in the scripting options for the spawn points you need to set them to be able to despawn. That should technically work.

buddhacrane

Proficient
Nov 2, 2014
Unfortunately Respawn points CANNOT be controlled via the their Spawn Channel, i.e. via scripting. Alas, there are a number of Forge Objects that, despite having a Spawn Channel, don't actually work with the scripting - I'm compiling a list of them in my Forge Scripting Guide.

Additionally, you also cannot control the spawning of Respawn Points via the inf_flight_reveal and inf_flight_remove advanced gametype labels either. From what I can gather, anything that you can't control its spawning of via scripting, you also cannot control via gametype labels that also control spawning.

Does that mean all hope is lost? Well, not exactly. You can work around this issue. So, how do you control player spawning in infection? Like this...

Teleporters!

Teleporters can be spawned in/out via scripts, but DO NOT use inf_flight_reveal/inf_flight_remove on them! Using those labels produce odd results, which I'm not going to go into detail in here, but sufficed to say, just don't use those labels on the teleporters - it isn't going to work the way you hope it will, trust me. Instead, put inf_flight_reveal/inf_flight_remove on Scripting Timer objects. and have those control the spawning of the teleporters.

To make use of the teleporters as a way of controlling player spawning, only put respawn points in a designated "Spawning Room", and then have a Sender Node that covers that room. Instead of placing respawn points on the map, use Receiver Nodes. You can then spawn in/out whichever receiver nodes you want active at whichever point in the game you want them to be active. The only downside to this is that you won't get the normal "spawning mechanics" you would expect from respawn points, such as spawn weighting, and ensuring players don't respawn too close to other players - so bear in mind this limitation when deciding to build a map/gametype around this mechanic.

If this still doesn't make sense, I can go into a more detailed, step by step, example if you require.