Puzzles?

Ticky

Expert
Jan 15, 2013
I know I'm a member of BIOC and everything, but I've always been a fan of puzzle maps and that wonder and adventure you get from exploring a map and trying to figure out what to do. It's pretty late in Halo 4's life cycle and I haven't seen too many puzzle maps, at all really. There have only been 7 on this site that I know of, and I was just wondering what happened between Reach and 4 that turned everyone off to puzzles. Sure there are some missing AA's and stuff, but you can still make some awesome ones.

I was just wondering if anyone had an idea to what happened.

p.s. I'm currently working on one and it's almost done.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
The community dropped a lot , so by the time people would have discovered most of the new mechanics and glitches a lot of people had given up on the game. Puzzles were always a very niche map category, so it's natural that they would have dropped off a lot when the community as a whole dropped.

Juggacly

Proficient
Jun 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
I don't care how many people stop making puzzles, it's always going to be my thing. I started in Reach, and I'm going to continue until Halo dies. So far I've made 3 in Halo 4, and I've still got 1 more to come.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
I had come up with a cool Puzzle/Ninja map at some point, but I never really got to get a go on forging it into an actual map due to a lack of interest on my part. Might give it another try at some point.

I feel like the only maps that get any real attention anymore are symmetrical competitive maps for the competitive purists-- which is a real shame because, to me, those are often the most boring maps. They've been done to death. Show me something I haven't seen before. I get their importance, but people should really put less stock in buzz words like 'sight lines,' 'balanced power positions' and 'clearly defined holdouts.' It's good to know about that stuff but I wish folks would focus more on storytelling and aesthetics and all the imaginative little tricks and things. I feel like aesthetics is almost a four letter word around here and it shouldn't be.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
I feel like the only maps that get any real attention anymore are symmetrical competitive maps for the competitive purists-- which is a real shame because, to me, those are often the most boring maps. They've been done to death. Show me something I haven't seen before. I get their importance, but people should really put less stock in buzz words like 'sight lines,' 'balanced power positions' and 'clearly defined holdouts.' It's good to know about that stuff but I wish folks would focus more on storytelling and aesthetics and all the imaginative little tricks and things. I feel like aesthetics is almost a four letter word around here and it shouldn't be.

I'm really not sure where you got the idea that symmetrical competitive halo maps are all that is talked about, but that is far from true. Go look at the views on THFE mini game and flood features as compared to competitive map features, the competitive maps always have far fewer views. This site especially is usually more focussed on other types of maps, with the few of us who still forge competitive maps, both symmetrical and asymmetrical, trying to keep them afloat. While these are some of the most carefully crafted maps in the game, the really good ones barely get half of the attention they deserve.

Also, lines of sight, power positions and more are not buzz words. These are very important terms for what makes a map good for a standard game of Halo. Ignoring a maps sight lines or power positions leaves you with a map that is broken and that no one will enjoy. Gameplay is also far more important than the aesthetic qualities of any map, be it competitive, flood, or even mini game. If a map is beautiful but not enjoyable to play on then who will ever go back to it? How the map plays determines before anything else if the map is good or bad. The look and the stories told by the map is also certainly important, but these things are secondary, as they won't shine through unless the map offers a fun gameplay experience. The best maps are those that deliver great gameplay experiences while Looking really nice, but if you have to pick one to sacrifice it's more important to have a map that plays well instead of a pretty one.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
After re-reading what I just wrote and thinking it over for all of five minutes, I'm probably just wrong.

Indeed. The reason why maps that are well-designed get more attention than maps that aren't is really quite simple. A TARDIS map might be "fun" to some people, but The Ark will be fun for anyone who enjoys playing standard Halo because it's actually a well-designed map. When someone spends months understanding important concepts like line of sight (which are absolutely not buzz words), they are able to design better maps. The key word here is "design", on these maps everything is there for a reason. Once every detail of the design is agonized over, months are spent testing these maps. That is the difference between a good competitive map and a mediocre casual map. The short answer is that these maps are simply better than maps that are "just fun". It's also worth noting that the idea of fun is purely subjective, whereas game balance can ensure the best possible experience for everyone. Well designed maps also incorporate meta aspects, require map knowledge, and generally just encourage players to use their brains rather than to blindly run and gun.

Because many people do not understand these underlying design concepts, competitive maps get, if anything, decidedly less attention than they deserve. As Shoe pointed out, this becomes immediately clear if you browse the view count on THFE features. Mini games and Flood features receive significantly more views than their competitive counterparts. It's true that there are some people who recycle proven competitive designs without any real creativity involved, and these maps certainly shouldn't be given too much attention. However, a well designed but generic map should still get more attention than a poorly designed generic one. Unfortunately, this often isn't the case in practice.

Indeed. The reason why maps that are well-designed get more attention than maps that aren't is really quite simple. A TARDIS map might be "fun" to some people, but The Ark will be fun for anyone who enjoys playing standard Halo because it's actually a well-designed map. When someone spends months understanding important concepts like line of sight (which are absolutely not buzz words), they are able to design better maps. The key word here is "design", on these maps everything is there for a reason. Once every detail of the design is agonized over, months are spent testing these maps. That is the difference between a good competitive map and a mediocre casual map. The short answer is that these maps are simply better than maps that are "just fun". It's also worth noting that the idea of fun is purely subjective, whereas game balance can ensure the best possible experience for everyone. Well designed maps also incorporate meta aspects, require map knowledge, and generally just encourage players to use their brains rather than to blindly run and gun.

Because many people do not understand these underlying design concepts, competitive maps get, if anything, decidedly less attention than they deserve. As Shoe pointed out, this becomes immediately clear if you browse the view count on THFE features. Mini games and Flood features receive significantly more views than their competitive counterparts. It's true that there are some people who recycle proven competitive designs without any real creativity involved, and these maps certainly shouldn't be given too much attention. However, a well designed but generic map should still get more attention than a poorly designed generic one. Unfortunately, this often isn't the case in practice.

No doubt. To be honest, I don't know what got into me the other day. Have you ever been having a bad day and then all of a sudden you're ranting like an idiot about nothing in particular on a message board full of strangers? Because that's what happened to me. I have no excuse. You are of course right.