Map Preview Prototype (Dominion)

Does this map have potential?

• no ( just try a new concept)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (We've got ourselves a group of bad asses right here!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Iv DM4STER vI

Proficient
Mar 3, 2013
prototype Bravo Base.jpg

Hello everyone. I'm just here to get my map out to see if it's a good enough start. I am still fairly new to forging but this isn't my first map... it's my second one. (lol) anyways, Welcome to Prototype, a classified anti air testing site for the UNSC and supports 6v6 Dominion. Let it be known that the map is STILL UNFINISHED and in very early stages without a single play test. I Just want feedback on what I could do with the initial premise before I step into huge design changes.

prototype overview so far.jpg

This is an overview of the map so far and Thank you to Zandrill SO MUCH for the marker pack it's amazing and I recommend it to anyone wanting to have greater map posts.
Obviously it's very bear in the middle but I'm trying to make a nice vehicle circuit in the map. I'm out of stuff in the natural pallet so I need good ideas on cover and more LOS breakers.

ON TO SOME SCREENSHOTS
protoype (Alpha base).jpg

prototype Charlie Base.jpg

BRAVO.jpg

prototype(Middle Platform).jpg

Middle platform (Banshee spawn

Well that was just a quick rundown of what I've got so far. I'm again fairly new to forging and just wish for some helpful feedback so I can improve. I designed Alpha and Charlie with two floors for segmentation, and gave Bravo the best LOS but is vulnerable to flanking and is the hardest of the 3 bases to defend. the map also uses the matchmaking human objective drop set.
I hope you all enjoyed my preview of prototype and I can't wait to test it. :)

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Seems really similar to Longbow in style, with A-C flank being separated by a wall, then B north of that, and the Banshee as well.

Just a fore-warning, most Dominion maps will have a list of issues on their first test. Once you find a lobby to do so, I'd advise saving the film of the match to see the problems for yourself.

Reactions: Iv DM4STER vI

Iv DM4STER vI

Proficient
Mar 3, 2013
Seems really similar to Longbow in style, with A-C flank being separated by a wall, then B north of that, and the Banshee as well.

Just a fore-warning, most Dominion maps will have a list of issues on their first test. Once you find a lobby to do so, I'd advise saving the film of the match to see the problems for yourself.

Thanks I'll be sure to do that and keep a look out for issues :)

Apr 27, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Hey, I haven't looked at this in forge yet (I will soon), but here's some initial impressions. First thing I notice is how flat this is. What you'll want to do is try and break that up a bit and create a bit of subtle verticality with rocks (terrain) and some platform like structures in between the base flanks. This will help teams to be both aggressive towards opposing bases and defensive towards their own. Adding structures in between flanks will also help break up some line of sight as another issue I'm seeing with the flat nature of this is how open it is. Breaking up these lines of sights will also help to give a bit more safety to spawns which is especially important considering you have a banshee on your map. Good luck with the map :y:
*You might have to try and spend some time trying to find places where you don't need certain pieces etc to achieve this. Every piece you reduce will give you that little bit more leeway to create structures between the flanks.

Reactions: Iv DM4STER vI

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Hey, I haven't looked at this in forge yet (I will soon), but here's some initial impressions. First thing I notice is how flat this is. What you'll want to do is try and break that up a bit and create a bit of subtle verticality with rocks (terrain) and some platform like structures in between the base flanks. This will help teams to be both aggressive towards opposing bases and defensive towards their own. Adding structures in between flanks will also help break up some line of sight as another issue I'm seeing with the flat nature of this is how open it is. Breaking up these lines of sights will also help to give a bit more safety to spawns which is especially important considering you have a banshee on your map. Good luck with the map :y:
*You might have to try and spend some time trying to find places where you don't need certain pieces etc to achieve this. Every piece you reduce will give you that little bit more leeway to create structures between the flanks.

This hits the nail on the head, although I'd like to add to it a bit. When designing a large map on Forge Island, one of ther very first things you should be thinking about is how you're going to account for the flatness of the canvas. It can be a challenge, and is something that I've seen even some experienced forgers struggle with, but is very important. Another thing I see lots of people doing when designing a Dominion map is thinking almost exclusively in terms of bases. I see bases here, but I don't really see a map; the bases are just kind of sitting on top of the island with no surroundings, not built into a map. You need more structure than just what's in the bases, while the bases are the focus of Dominion, the routes connecting the bases and the positions along these routes are just as important.

Anyways, good luck with your map. I hope to see an improved version submitted to the Meet Your Maker contest in the future!