Preventing map crashing

Fuzzy336

Novice
Apr 23, 2015
Mebane, North Carolina
So I have a question that I would love to have answered, I'm currently working on a map and I wanted to know, what is the general reason that maps crash in custom games when you have over "X" amount of players?

The map I'm currently making is a Tower of Power map and it crashed on me when I went to run my first custom game. the initial starting player count was 11, 6v5, and 8 people all dropped at once like 30 seconds in leaving only 3.

Does this regularly happen to anyone else? If so, what is the culprit? what can I do to prevent it? Please share absolutely anything you have on this subject because I have put well over 50 hours into my map trying to make it perfect and I am going to be super irritated if it was all for nothing.

Here is a picture of how it currently looks, check it out and let me know what you think!
map1.png
map2.png

Reactions: Zabud 4

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
The game crashes relate both to player count and visible object count (respawn points and such do not count). Usually, shooting for under 550 visible objects on a map is a safe bet for it to run with eight players. As the player count increases, the available visible object count decreases. Quality of host is also a factor, but following this framework should allow you to avoid crashes. Others might have numerical estimates for player counts above eight, so ask around. Of course the culprit is that MCC is not a finished game and is a buggy product. Hopefully this issue will be fixed at some point.

Fuzzy336

Novice
Apr 23, 2015
Mebane, North Carolina
Thanks for the reply, the map as it sat in those photos, only had a total item count of 526 including the non visible items meaning that the visible count is only around the 450/460 mark... and for that to crash at 11 players is very disappointing.

I'm torn in between deleting some of the aesthetics to keep it for tower of power, or just re working the entire map to make it support other game types that require less players, based on the pictures which route do you think would be best for me to take?

Zabud 4

Qualified
Nov 19, 2014
your imagination
I actually have a similar question about one of my maps (that is still in progress). I have been unable to test it but I have no doubt that the amount of visible pieces is over 550 (it is in 360's halo 4), so I was wondering if I tried to play this map with the required 16 players would it most likely crash? If you need more details about it to answer than go to thread "What are you working on," I posted there but have got no answer but it does have more info on that post.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I actually have a similar question about one of my maps (that is still in progress). I have been unable to test it but I have no doubt that the amount of visible pieces is over 550 (it is in 360's halo 4), so I was wondering if I tried to play this map with the required 16 players would it most likely crash? If you need more details about it to answer than go to thread "What are you working on," I posted there but have got no answer but it does have more info on that post.
Halo 4 on Xbox 360 is not subject to the same bugs present within Halo 2: Anniversary. Your map will load.

Fuzzy336

Novice
Apr 23, 2015
Mebane, North Carolina
So from the pictures that I shared, does everyone think that I should rework the map by removing a lot of the background visuals to make it work for its original purpose of tower of power, or, should I just change up the layout a little and keep the background to make it into a map that is meant for regular 8 player game types and not only Tower of Power?

Zabud 4

Qualified
Nov 19, 2014
your imagination
I like the background (but I cannot tell to much from the pictures), I think you should maybe take away small aesthetics from the tower and make it basic. Kind of like a defend the house map but without the zombies is what it looks like to me, and your work with the colors is nice, but I see there is limited cover on the way to the tower. This, although it may be the purpose, will probably make it extremely difficult for attacking forces. So I suggest either more cover or make flank positions so the tower defenders are going to need to watch everywhere to keep the power position. These are just suggestions but do what you will with them, I believe others will give a lot better info so we will see what the others say.