Competitive Panic Attack

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Panic Attack (version 4.0) - A map blurring the lines between competitive arena style and BTB gameplay.

Background: Panic Attack's routes date back as far as Halo 3. I have long been interested in creating my own brand of Big Team Battle maps which incorporate elements from competitive arena maps. This started with U-Turn: a streamlined BTB map centered around having simple routes which were just as open to infantry as they were to vehicle use. This concept was improved greatly with S in Halo: Reach. In Halo 4, I took this idea to the next level with Panic Station which was designed to...

Read more about this map...

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
>Posts an unfinished map
>Calls it "Version 4.0"
>wat

Well, the first playable version was version 3.2 I believe, so I suppose this would technically be version 0.8. My map naming process starts when i start building though, so I saved 32 different times while building the map, and then I've updated it eight times since.

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
Well, the first playable version was version 3.2 I believe, so I suppose this would technically be version 0.8. My map naming process starts when i start building though, so I saved 32 different times while building the map, and then I've updated it eight times since.

o_O

Reactions: Psychoduck

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Psychoduck updated Panic Attack with a new update entry:

Panic Attack

Testing still in progress with version 4.1
  • Moved Flags to be aligned with windows into bases, clutch flag saves can now be affected from outside bases with more frequency
  • Changed vehicle blockers in bottom mid to be less obstructive to infantry
  • Added carbines in bottom level of bases
Testing for CTF continues as the main focus. Some consideration was made regarding the addition of a third route into the bottom of the bases, but this was decided against for now....

Read the rest of this update entry...

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area

Panic Attack 4.2

Testing still in progress with version 4.2
  • Changed angle of railings along top mid to prevent head-glitching and to more fully expose players using the power position
  • Added more structural cover near Ghost spawns to allow safer spawning
  • Added more spawn points in back alleys to help prevent-spawn trapping in bases
Current considerations:
  • Sniper Rifles may be taken off ordnance drops in order to give them only one spare clip
  • Jumps in the bases...

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area

Panic Attack 4.4

Testing still in progress with version 4.4
  • Made jumps in bases accessible from a wider angle
  • Made minor cosmetic changes
  • Made minor adjustments to killzones
Current considerations:
  • Is it worth sacrificing requirement for map knowledge (particularly in the accessibility of jumps) to make the map accessible to a wider audience?
  • 6v6 play yields a more fast-paced experience than 5v5, which is the ideal player count?
  • CTF remains the primary focus...

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
Most BTB maps do not provide the well balanced gameplay that small arena maps offer. This idea of blending BTB and Arena style gameplay is very interesting since BTB tends to work for the more casual players. I think it is great when larger maps really pull off that gameplay as solid as a well forged 1v1 map. I played Panic station around the time of when it was released and for me this style of BTB map really works.

Reactions: Psychoduck

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
@Duck Even if you don't submit this map to the Review Crew, I would be honored to do one, if only to adorn this map with commendation.
Of course, it goes without saying that few would be qualified to critique something from you anyways. It's like giving the teacher a test :p

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Most BTB maps do not provide the well balanced gameplay that small arena maps offer. This idea of blending BTB and Arena style gameplay is very interesting since BTB tends to work for the more casual players. I think it is great when larger maps really pull off that gameplay as solid as a well forged 1v1 map. I played Panic station around the time of when it was released and for me this style of BTB map really works.

Well, i hope you have the chance to play this map at some point then. This is indeed a competitive map, but one which also encompasses so much of what people love about BTB maps. This really is a huge evolution on Panic Station's design as well, improved in nearly every way.

@Duck Even if you don't submit this map to the Review Crew, I would be honored to do one, if only to adorn this map with commendation.
Of course, it goes without saying that few would be qualified to critique something from you anyways. It's like giving the teacher a test :p

I wouldn't want to submit this map to the Review Crew. I'm getting a lot of testing done on this and receiving tons of valuable feedback. I would be selfish of me to waste your time when you could use it to give feedback to someone who isn't getting enough feedback and testing done on their maps. I spent over a year in the Testers' Guild at ForgeHub, so I know how this sort of thing works. The Review Crew is a resource which is going to be best suited to helping people who are having difficulty getting their own tests on their map and getting feedback that way. I don't like to think I'm above the system or anything, but I think its fair to say that i can pick up on flaws with maps pretty well at this point and I just think that the RC's time could be better spent on other maps. Also, never assume that someone is above critiquing. No matter how long you've been forging and how much you've learned, there's always more out there. I've found that opening my mind to people who have less experience with forge, who haven't been doing it as long, can be immensely helpful because it opens me up to new ways of looking at things.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Had a lot of fun when I played this with you guys earlier. The map works really great with Slayer and CTF.

However, I'm not too sure about the locations of the Extraction sites. I do remember one of them being too hard to capture because of all the sightlines and the enemy team being perched safely in their base shooting at us.

Perhaps moving that certain site to a different place?

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Had a lot of fun when I played this with you guys earlier. The map works really great with Slayer and CTF.

However, I'm not too sure about the locations of the Extraction sites. I do remember one of them being too hard to capture because of all the sightlines and the enemy team being perched safely in their base shooting at us.

Perhaps moving that certain site to a different place?

What we played was the first Extraction test for the map, and I would agree that the placement of Delta and Echo is less than ideal. I will either be moving the sites to altogether new locations (although this is difficult due to the proximity of other potential locations to other Extractions sites already on the map), or I will modify the geometry around the sites to make them more approachable. I may be able to incorporate some small platforms which take the sites out of the open a bit. We'll see when I get a chance to fiddle around with it.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed playing.