Map Preview Novus

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Hey guys. This is a preview of my latest map on Halo 4.

I call it Novus.

I'm pretty happy with how this map turned out because in all the games I played to test the map, everyone was pretty happy with how it played.

There are still some fine tuning to do so the map isn't 100% finished. I still have to place respawn zones, objective items, etc.

Novus is currently compatible with Slayer, Extraction, and KOTH. I'll be adding CTF soon.

Link to map beta (UPDATED): NOVUS

*UPDATE*

MAJOR

- Removed all random drops. There are now only three neutral initial drops in the map. Rocket, Sniper, and Sticky Detonator.
- Added KOTH hills and Extraction sites.
- Moved teleporter sender node to yellow.

MINOR

- Added rocks as flooring for the cave near red base.
- Replaced the dishes where the Rocket Launcher ordnance drop lands with a 2x2 short with inclines leading up to it.
- Replaced the Rock 5s used as flooring in blue base with Rock 3s for a cleaner look.
- Added jumps in red base.
- Thickened some bridges to make them look more structurally sound.
- Removed shmeefs because they got distracting at times and I needed the budget.

I hope someone could take a look at the new, updated version of the map and give me some feedback. Even if what you have to say is an issue you have with the map, I'm very interested to know what it is. :)

I'd really appreciate it if someone took a look at the map.

I'm especially concerned whether or not I've placed the KOTH hills and Extraction sites in good locations.

NEWEST UPDATES

- Red now has three routes to the upper level instead of just one.
- Blue now has a second bridge leading to top yellow.

SCREENSHOTS

Main photos

Overview photos

That's pretty much it. Let me know what you think. I welcome constructive criticism.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Just a speculative question:

What is your opinion on Jetpacking between floors? Besides the ramps that lead up from the bottom, the map is based on (and correct me if I'm wrong) two levels.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
What do you mean by this? Like if I'm against it or not? And yes, the map has two levels.
Well, I'm just wondering if you took the idea into consideration. Some people prefer to restrict the jetpack, and others permit free usage of it across the map.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
I welcome the jetpack in almost all of my maps. Is that a bad thing?
It is kinda subjective, and depends on the map. Hopefully I don't complicate things further with the following explanation.

As you have two levels that are fairly separated, the incentive to shortcut using the JP could make the map imbalanced though a narrowing of Loadout selections. On the other hand, it could help outweigh top-heaviness due to segmentation.

download15_zpsda933d6a.jpg

So let's take this picture as an example. If one was located on the lower level and wanted to proceed to the yellow bridge, a JP would be the best choice. I am not aware of where the teleporter connects to the bridge, but it can be assumed by this photo that the nearest entrance would be a good distance away.

A balanced map (at least in my opinion) would make sure that exploits from JP such as this, do not outweigh the selection of other armor abilities without flight. This would be determined by the quantity of shortcuts, or the opportunity cost of not having JP in different elevation change scenarios. Segmentation is directly related to this concept.The more your elevations are segmented, the higher chance that JP will outweigh other options.

Segmentation and top-heaviness are also directly related. Therefore, top-heaviness and JP power are indirectly related. If your JP is more useful, you will break the top-heaviness since both floors are more easily accessible. Conversely, a more fluid design with less top-heaviness limits the power of JP in relation to other options.

iws27

Adept
Jan 10, 2013
Requium
Hey, Zandril! I like the look of your map, but I have to agree with Zero. I would add more ramps/jump ups to fix the problem

iws27

Adept
Jan 10, 2013
Requium
You're saying I should add more hard routes to the second level? Right?
Well, kinda. What do you mean by hard routes? I meant, instead of having to run to a safer transition area, a risky, spur-of-the-moment jump could make for a quicker, but more dangerous, route.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
The new map photos shed more light on your setup on how the paths work.

I would say, with your new additions, the problems I were speculating about are solved.

When will you post into the Maps section?

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Could you test NOVUS instead? This map is one of my old ones and I'm not very proud of it. Novus is my latest one and I'd like it if you tested that instead.

Yes, I will test this for you. Note, however, that this will be for 4v4 Infinity Slayer. I am not testing the other game types, that could be for a different lobby down the line.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Yes, I will test this for you. Note, however, that this will be for 4v4 Infinity Slayer. I am not testing the other game types, that could be for a different lobby down the line.

No problem, I'm fine with this getting tested by a 4v4 lobby. If you guys are testing again, let me know because I'd like to join that one and test this map on different gametypes.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
I apologize, we did not get enough people to properly test your map. We hope to include it in another Review Crew Customs in the future if possible.

My suspicion was correct, in that the vertical segmentation did play a big role in how the map turned out. I'd say it was a nice balance between Jetpack use and stair use. Maybe when I get a better lobby together we can come back and play it with more competitive players.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Tonight, I touched on maps that didn't get tested from the first RCC in a POSL qualifying lobby. One of them was Novus.

We played Infinity Slayer with around 12-14 players, and it was great. The flow of combat really worked well, and the verticality really didn't seem as segmented as I had thought. I'm eager to test this in other game modes, but apparently Charles Stoot mentioned something about one of the teleporters not working (pretty sure it was a sender node). I also have the match recorded if you're interested in that.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Tonight, I touched on maps that didn't get tested from the first RCC in a POSL qualifying lobby. One of them was Novus.

We played Infinity Slayer with around 12-14 players, and it was great. The flow of combat really worked well, and the verticality really didn't seem as segmented as I had thought. I'm eager to test this in other game modes, but apparently Charles Stoot mentioned something about one of the teleporters not working (pretty sure it was a sender node). I also have the match recorded if you're interested in that.

Was Charles Stoot trying to go through an empty teleporter frame? Because that is a receiver node. The sender node is marked with a cyan colored base shield and it works everytime I go through it.

I hope I can join one of the RCC's lobbies one time for further testing.

Reactions: Charles Stoot

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Haha. :D

When is the next RCC lobby? I'll see if I can join.

To be determined. I'm shooting for a later day later next week, but I don't get my work schedule until next week. I'm also working with POSL and soon Online Knights with a project they have.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Which is the more common again? Is it 2?

Also, I'm making changes to Novus. If I can finish them before the day of the RCC lobby, I'll send you an updated link.

If not, then you can play the one you have.

I'll try to attend the RCC lobby. My problem is you scheduled it on a school day here. :)

Sorry didn't see your reply as an alert. 2-site is usually better for bigger teams, whereas 1-site is like 4v4 and below.