Competitive New Rome

Greenh2

Master
Jan 10, 2013
New Rome (version 1v1 map) - A monument of the world's strongest empire.

Hey guys, Greenh2's here. Now, I never uploaded a map here for awhile now. So, now I have finished a recent map called, as you know, New Rome. Now, I wanted to try something different. The past couple of competitive maps I made are either unfinished or failed. But the thing was, I started too big. So, I made a map smaller in size and capability. So, this is a 1v1 map. Now, the gameplay of it is a bit unusually good. The map may look open, but it has...

Read more about this map...

Greenh2

Master
Jan 10, 2013
Unfortunately, that cover qualifies as clutter. Cover should be structural, not lazy. I also see a couple sightlines that are too linear. Some possible flow problems too.
Was it the sand bags? I put those down at the last second, just to see if it worked. Before I had that, the gameplay worked well. I'll delete those when I get the chance

Greenh2

Master
Jan 10, 2013
The clutter I see is almost everything on the ground. The sandbags, the barricades. In competitive maps, angles, walls, and height variation is better for cover rather than simply slapping down barricades.
Yes, I'm sorry about that. There was a couple of them when I played it. I shouldn't have added extra. It plays better on the upper levels. Which makes it a bit unintentionally unusually well played. It may look like the main area in the middle is the death trap, but it's the upper levels is where the battle starts, in a good way. I'll make it the way it was originally was.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
That's not really the major problem. I think the map would be much better off with more content. The map lacks structures, routes, and the movement options that should be present in 1v1 maps.

BexQgle.png

Remove every sandbag and barricade. They're lazy cover and some of them will just impede movement. For the flat bridges, I suggest making them lead to either left or right to decrease the linearity of it. I also think the map could use a little more segmentation.

Greenh2

Master
Jan 10, 2013
That's not really the major problem. I think the map would be much better off with more content. The map lacks structures, routes, and the movement options that should be present in 1v1 maps.

BexQgle.png

Remove every sandbag and barricade. They're lazy cover and some of them will just impede movement. For the flat bridges, I suggest making them lead to either left or right to decrease the linearity of it. I also think the map could use a little more segmentation.
Hmm, I see. Thanks for the advice! I was, and still am, in forge and just deleted the sandbags and stuff. I'll see what I can do. This is my first 1v1 map I made, so I expected it not being perfect at the start :)

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Hmm, I see. Thanks for the advice! I was, and still am, in forge and just deleted the sandbags and stuff. I'll see what I can do. This is my first 1v1 map I made, so I expected it not being perfect at the start :)
It takes a while to get the hang of making competitive maps. I've been at it for a while now and I still have so much to learn. Competitive maps have the largest learning curve. You'll get better if you keep at it :)

Greenh2

Master
Jan 10, 2013
It takes a while to get the hang of making competitive maps. I've been at it for a while now and I still have so much to learn. Competitive maps have the largest learning curve. You'll get better if you keep at it :)
yeah, I'm used to minigames and a little bit of Flood/Infection. I'm hoping to be one of those All-Around Forgers (don't know why I capitalized that, but who cares). You know, a type of forger that can forge any map. I actually started in Reach, but never got feedback. To tell the truth, they were alright, but didn't know how to improve them. I was open to any advice, and I'm still am. At least I'm not one of those people that are "too good for feedbacks" :laugh:

Greenh2

Master
Jan 10, 2013
So far, I made the bridges into more arched than flat. Also, I made the middle railings closest to the rocks to look broken, to make interesting jumps. Does this sound good so far?

Greenh2

Master
Jan 10, 2013
Well, I'll continue this tomorrow. Thanks for the advice! Also, for the central atrium, I was thinking of using that instead of the rocks. But, unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to implement that into the map. Do you think that I should use a courtyard instead? I'll see the answers tomorrow, if there's any :p. I gotta go, see ya

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
A courtyard sounds better than a bunch of rocks slapped down just for cover. I would suggest looking at some well-known 1v1 maps and see how they are constructed. Observe the routes, the height changes, the cover, etc. When I was starting out in competitive forging, I found that looking at other better maps is good for improvement.

Greenh2

Master
Jan 10, 2013
A courtyard sounds better than a bunch of rocks slapped down just for cover. I would suggest looking at some well-known 1v1 maps and see how they are constructed. Observe the routes, the height changes, the cover, etc. When I was starting out in competitive forging, I found that looking at other better maps is good for improvement.
Alright, thanks! :) I'll have to try that out