My Original Vision for Recurve

Mar 30, 2013
Hey HaloCustoms. As many of you know, I'm the community level designer that was tasked with reimagining Longbow (now Recurve) during my visit to 343 Industries in September. I hope you are having a mostly positive and competitive experience in Big Team Battle, and now that the forge maps are officially released, I wanted to take a moment to share my original vision for Recurve. You may recall the below, purple WIP two-base map (the one with all the spartan parkour and pro jumps) from episode 4 of The Sprint:

3zsLwYI.png

Qk26DJ1.jpg

By the end of my week-long visit at 343, the original vision for Recurve evolved into the following design mass out (recreated in Maya):

J28Qd9m.jpg

OJPkf41.png

nPy5fRt.png

NjYp6yv.png

My original vision included a thoroughly designed dual sniper engagement across the lower edge of the map, which was a huge part of my counter-play + movement incentive design from base-to-base and base-to-central structure. The sniper rifles were placed in positions with limited/situational power, which created movement incentive into the highly contested central structure to earn those dominant lines of sight into the enemy base/courtyard. The dual sniper engagement deterred flag movement along the lower edge of the map as well, thus encouraging more flag movement along the curve of the central structure.

The top bases were balanced by both the constant threat of enemy sniper fire + a complex, vertical, 3-leveled central structure with connections to both the inner and outer sides of the bases via curved vehicle/infantry paths. As you may recall from the spartan parkour sequence on The Sprint, the original base design had man cannons that launched players into the central structure. This was a big part of my initial movement incentive & heroism design, as the man cannon-landing pad interaction allowed for some super fast, vertical, and multi-directional big play opportunities across the courtyards. I originally had rockets placed at the top of the map as well, and skilled players could use their momentum from the man cannon to pro jump (thrust + stabilize + crouch) up to the third level of the central structure and make a big play on the power weapon.

In regards to vehicles, the original vision was designed to only support light vehicles (ghosts and warthogs). My original vision intentionally excluded fast, direct vehicle routes across the map, and instead directed all vehicle flow along the curving arms of the central structure & through the central structure underpass, which exited via one-way drop offs into the courtyards. This design created a travel time balance between infantry and vehicles for CTF, which eliminated the common "point of no return" experience on most BTB maps where the flag is basically a guaranteed cap once you pass the half-way point on the map.

I passed the design off to the 343 Multiplayer Team at the conclusion of my trip, and although the bases have been mostly preserved, the entirety of the original central structure, routes, flow, movement incentive design, and weapon/objective placement was significantly changed and iterated on after I left. Anyway, just wanted to share my original vision for the map, and I plan to rebuild something closer to the original vision for competitive games/tourneys on BigTeamBattle.net later on. Please let me know your feedback on the developer release of Recurve below, and I'll be sure to pass on what I can to the design and multiplayer team at 343 Industries!

-Kyle

Last edited:

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
I can't wait to see what the final version of this looks like Fated.

Also it's pretty interesting comparing this comment section to the one on Forgehub. Kind of says something about both sites.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I think that this map really deserves to be two separate maps at this point; Recurve is so different from the original design and each have merit.

The original design (we'll call it Torque) will make for an excellent squad map with the right tweaks. Torque suffered a bit from funneling vehicles down too many narrow paths and sported an arguably overcomplicated center. But, it has so much potential as a squad design.

Meanwhile, Recurve could be a very solid map based on more traditional BTB conventions with the right tweaks. The sniper lounge and its surroundings needs to be more connected and less campy. The bases need some hard routes to the roof. Aside from that, there is definitely some value in it.

It would also be interesting to see a truer reimagining of Longbow in H5. Longbow's top mid was too campable because of the Dominion base situated there and because it was somewhat cut off from its surroundings. Aside from that, though, it was an excellent BTB map before its vehicle set was replaced with an assortment of heavy vehicles.

It would be great to see all three of these distinct visions get the love they deserve without all trying to be crammed into one map which compromises them all.