Competitive Mirage

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Mirage (version 2.0) - A beautiful, asymmetric 1v1 map.

It was said that the Great Anvils held a lot of secrets. I do believe we stumbled upon one. After reporting the discovery to HQ, Commander Mirage received orders to set up a base by the doors. This was a mistake. Now, I'm in charge and she is nowhere to be found.

4nveiB0.jpg

_______________________________________________________________​

I haven't made a 1v1 map in a while. Figured it's time for another. That's how Mirage came to life....

Read more about this map...

Reactions: Ro0k92

Ro0k92

Novice
Nov 2, 2013
I posted that review, Zan. I don't know why it showed up under "Anonymous." I probably checked the option accidentally

Mar 20, 2014
Haven't played this yet, but I downloaded it and gave it a look over. I have to say you overall the map certainly focusses on aesthetics, and you seem to make all of your maps in general look great. The curved boundaries are personally my favourite touch. My only criticism is that aesthetic touches of the map are maybe a little OTT, like the teleporter for example. I think it may look better without the gravity lift in the middle, so it looks more like doorway you can walk through. Then you probably won't have the issue of people who've never seen the map before failing to realise it's a teleporter at all. Also the floor in the 9th picture (the one made out of bridges and building pieces) could look a little smoother if it was replaced with upturned stunt ramps, and it would use way less budget too. Hey maybe that's just me though, I generally go for a reasonably minimalist aesthetic, just clean and smooth really.

When I feel like challenging someone, I'll definitely give this map a go in 1v1 and leave a proper review :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Zandril

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
My only criticism is that aesthetic touches of the map are maybe a little OTT, like the teleporter for example.
Zandril almost always goes hard on aesthetics. Still, they take a backseat to gameplay most of the time. I suppose Mirage is more intense aesthetically because he has more budget to work with. Zed and Aether are two maps that invoke the "clean" look and aren't too frilly with aesthetics, but that's cause we/he used a lot of budget on structure.

That reminds me, I need to make a "Maps with Bushes on Top of the Rock Wall" compilation.

Kantalope

Master
Feb 24, 2013
Did you fix the kill boundary on top of middle building? Last time I checked this map out I was able to camp on top of it.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Haven't played this yet, but I downloaded it and gave it a look over. I have to say you overall the map certainly focusses on aesthetics, and you seem to make all of your maps in general look great. The curved boundaries are personally my favourite touch. My only criticism is that aesthetic touches of the map are maybe a little OTT, like the teleporter for example. I think it may look better without the gravity lift in the middle, so it looks more like doorway you can walk through. Then you probably won't have the issue of people who've never seen the map before failing to realise it's a teleporter at all. Also the floor in the 9th picture (the one made out of bridges and building pieces) could look a little smoother if it was replaced with upturned stunt ramps, and it would use way less budget too. Hey maybe that's just me though, I generally go for a reasonably minimalist aesthetic, just clean and smooth really.

When I feel like challenging someone, I'll definitely give this map a go in 1v1 and leave a proper review :D
Well I'm glad you like how it looks. I know that the teleporter is very off-putting. But it looks so pretty, I can't stand to give it up. :p

As for the floor, I needed something with a darker texture. In Forge Island, the only dark pieces are rocks and upside-down Tower 3 Stories.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to that review.

Zandril almost always goes hard on aesthetics. Still, they take a backseat to gameplay most of the time. I suppose Mirage is more intense aesthetically because he has more budget to work with. Zed and Aether are two maps that invoke the "clean" look and aren't too frilly with aesthetics, but that's cause we/he used a lot of budget on structure.

That reminds me, I need to make a "Maps with Bushes on Top of the Rock Wall" compilation.
That's the beauty of 1v1 and 2v2 maps. That's why they're my favorite type of competitive map to forge. They're small so you can go apeshit with the aesthetics. Pretty much what I did with Mirage. This small of a map and it uses 9500+ budget.

Also, bushes are love. Bushes are life.

Did you fix the kill boundary on top of middle building? Last time I checked this map out I was able to camp on top of it.
I was not aware of that. I didn't even know you can get to the top. Did you use a jetpack?

1v1 me bro
Come at me. :knight: