Competitive Midway

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
Midway (version 1.0) - Experience naval combat in this ship vs ship map

In World War II, the Battle of Midway turned the tide against the Japanese in the Pacific theater. This battle involved over a hundred ships and a thousand planes, and lasted several hours as the US Navy took down the Japanese vessels with their destroyers and aircraft carriers.

This map is the first map in Halo to provide full naval combat. Featuring two ships, it isn't quite as grand as the World War 2 Battle of Midway, but it still features some great and unconventional gameplay. The ships...

Read more about this map...

Rev Righteous

Proficient
Got to play this in Evergreen lobby the other day; very nice! I did find a few things that I think could use some adjustment/improvement.
  • The Shade and human turrets seemed mostly useless due to the distances involved. Not sure what to do about that. In a CTF gametype, or if some of the hills were near the ships, then they would likely come into play and be more useful.
  • I frequently went off the edge of the underwater path. I would be dodging the banshee or a tank in a wraith, and with and errant boost I would slide off the edge to a watery death. It was super frustrating to be engaged in a delicate dual where I was surviving thus far and then loose because I fell off the edge of a cliff I couldn't see. I know it would probably be a big undertaking, but a barrier or railing hidden under the water, or maybe a bit more "ground" to drive on with a wider soft-kill to warn you of the edge would be great.
  • The addition of a few Dominion vehicle pads could help everyone get a vehicle more often. Since the hills were too far away for the provided weapons and turrets to reliably hit, I found the down time kind of dull. Some vehicle pads could help cut down on the wait for the all important vehicles.
Hopefully the feedback can help!

Reactions: ShockBolt21

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
Got to play this in Evergreen lobby the other day; very nice! I did find a few things that I think could use some adjustment/improvement...

Thanks. This is its first version (uploaded directly after completion late on Sunday), and I didn't get to gameplay test it yet, so I really appreciate your feedback. I'll see if I can perfect it this weekend.

The turrets will probably be more useful in Slayer, as the enemy will be moving past the hill and toward the ship. I added trait zones that give them 125% damage so they can put up more of a fight against the vehicles. Otherwise, I see your point.

As for the driving off the edge, I'll see what I can do. I won't be able to get enough budget for an underwater railing (nice idea though) and there aren't nearly enough platforms to extend the battlefield in any direction. The best I can do is add a few more marker rocks, widen the warning kill boundaries a bit, and hope that the players can recognize the boundaries a bit better. The battlefield is wide enough to provide a decent amount of maneuverability and to keep the gameplay from being too linear, and I'm actually quite proud of what I've done with the limited resources without using a modified map. I don't think it should take too long for players to better understand the edges in the water, and to be able to fight more freely without having to constantly check their sides and their distance from the bounds.

As for your third proposal, I probably should have recognized that before I released the map. The spawn time for each weapon is 100 seconds, which I now realize is way too long. I don't think I need to add vehicle pads, though. I can decrease the vehicle spawn time as necessary, and extending the room to add more vehicles shouldn't be hard either. As for the weapons, the rocket launcher and the railgun should provide players with the ability to deal some quality damage from the ship, while the fuel rod gun can be useful if you aim well and luck is on your side. I'll keep those, with a decreased spawn time, and I'll add some others, maybe even an occasional sniper rifle, to keep players always armed and in the game.

I've one question. Did you find any problems with the scorpion in the front of the ship- the one that served as a turret?

Anyway, thanks for helping me fix up this map. You can expect an improved version addressing the aforementioned issues by the end of the weekend. I'll also get it on 343's site then to see what the epidemic thinks of it.

Rev Righteous

Proficient
Yeah, the turrets were just a really small issue in king of the hill; I'd leave them if other game modes have players getting in closer. As for the railings, I know it would be hard due to the budget and how big the map is; so really, anything you can do within the limits to help prevent going over the edge is good. The marker rocks worked well until I started spinning around in the center trying to duel a banshee or something. It was easy to lose track of what was cover and what was an edge marker in that situation, and then I would boost to dodge and just slide into infinity, lol. Maybe focusing on widening, or putting more walls or markers the center area would be accomplish it without the need for much more budget. Also, I think speeding up the weapon respawns would be good. As for your question, I actually didn't get a chance to man the turret tank, but from the perspective of going up against the other teams turret tank it seemed fine. In the end, I think it is a very fun map; I only mentioned the issues because I think just some small adjustments will be enough to make it very solid. You definitely have a good map going here.

Reactions: ShockBolt21

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
ShockBolt21 updated Midway with a new update entry:

Midway (V 1.1)

Changes in Version 1.1-

-Reduced spawn time for all vehicles.

-Changed weapons, making them generally longer range. Spawn time for all weapons have been decreased.

-Centered the middle area so it's equidistant from both ships.

-Expanded a few thin areas of the battlefield, widened the bordering kill boundaries (soft), and re-positioned a few "marker" rocks to keep players more aware of the battlefield's boundaries and away from a watery death.

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
Got to play this in Evergreen lobby the other day; very nice! I did find a few things that I think could use some adjustment/improvement...

I've updated the map, and all of the issues you've mentioned have been resolved in the latest version. Go ahead and hit the Updates tab to find out what was changed. And again, thanks for helping me fix it up.

Rev Righteous, evergreen948

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
ShockBolt21 updated Midway with a new update entry:

Midway (V 1.2)

Changes in Version 1.2-

-Covered a small hole in the aquatic battlefield behind one of the rocks

-Fixed the "Hole of Holiness" (Sorry, adderrson)

-Used trait zones to provide players with 150% movement speed while on the ships. This will allow them to traverse it more quickly, yet it doesn't feel unnaturally fast. It no longer takes forever to arm yourself in the weapons room and climb back on deck.

Read the rest of this update entry...