I don't need advice on this thread. Go to my other one titled Lyre if you want to criticize my work.

So, one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kantalope

Master
Feb 24, 2013
I've been working on a 1-flag CTF with two lanes of traffic(no vehicles) and is sized for 2v2-4v4. The middle is a raised area that acts like a thresh hold for map control. If offense is able to take middle then the defenders mainly spawns on their base. I'll post pictures as soon as possible.

What do you guys think of the idea of one sided ricochet map?

Reactions: Auburn

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
Sounds similar to Elongation so far, which could be good or bad depending on how its designed. The important thing to remember about one-sided modes is that map control becomes much less of a factor. The defenders should never be encouraged to push much further than their base, so there should be veeery little reliance on center dominance.

Post dem pictures!

Last edited:

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Sounds similar to Elongation so far, which could be good or bad depending on how its designed. The important thing to remember about one-sided modes is that map control becomes much less of a factor. The defenders should never be encouraged to push much further than their base, so there should be veeery little reliance on center dominance.

Post dem pictures!
I disagree. While the nature of map control changes between one sided objective modes and other modes, it is still very important. A good one-sided objective map will have contestable areas throughout the map which can be used either defensively or offensively.

I'm unsure how you would be making a one-sided Ricochet mode unless you're using a modded variant. However, I have some worries about the potential of such a mode. Throws are an important part of Ricochet, and if the defenders cannot throw the ball, their defensive options will be very limited once the balls makes it into their base. On the other hand, if the defenders can throw the ball (and therefore are able to pick it up), the defenders' focus will shift to controlling the ball rather than defending their score zone.

Reactions: Kantalope

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
While the nature of map control changes between one sided objective modes and other modes, it is still very important. A good one-sided objective map will have contestable areas throughout the map which can be used either defensively or offensively.

That's what I was getting at to an extent. My definition of map control was a little offset, I admit.

I meant to get across that the last situation you want in one-sided objective is Sanctuary-style, push and pull gameplay between one dominant position. When I said the defenders shouldn't be encouraged to push too much, I meant that there shouldn't be any one threshold of control outside their base that they feel they could exercise dominance over the other team from, as Forge described. It would be similar to playing 1-Flag on Sanctuary.

Last edited:

Kantalope

Master
Feb 24, 2013
I meant to get across that the last situation you want in one-sided objective is Sanctuary-style, push and pull gameplay between one dominant position. When I said the defenders shouldn't be encouraged to push too much, I meant that there shouldn't be any one threshold of control outside their base that they feel they could exercise dominance over the other team from, as Forge described. It would be similar to playing 1-Flag on Sanctuary.

This post helps a lot. I may end up swapping which side is defending. Sorry, the pictures have to wait until this weekend.