Competitive Hyperbolic

NYs Gr8 1

Novice
Apr 6, 2014
Hyperbolic (version 1.0) - Fun, competitive, symmetric arena-style gameplay

Well where do I start! This will be my first completed Halo 4 map and my first post on halo customs. I have been forging competitive maps a long time now, but it has really taken me a long time to get this map ready to show the world. Hyperbolic is an awesome, arena-style, Inversely symmetrical map. It got the name Hyperbolic due to the two main curved bridges that resemble a Hyperbolic function when graphed. It plays great with slayer, and it is setup for ctf, koh and oddball, although I...

Read more about this map...

wizton

Master
Sep 17, 2013
England
www.youtube.com
I'm no competitive map expert, but this looks pretty damn snazzy. I like the curved paths, they're pretty neat but the effect they have on grenade bouncing could be something to consider... (unless you have already, I have no idea what will happen.) One thing I'm not too sure about is how cluttered the whole map seems, from the screenshots I can see loads of corners and edges of blocks, it isn't a big deal, but it's kinda noisy if ya get me. Now this is just my play style, but there doesn't seem to be so much opportunity to invent your own routes around the map, again this isn't a big deal and purely how I like to play...

I haven't downloaded it, this is all speculation, feel free to embarrass me with your superior competitive map making knowledge, but I love how it looks and the curved platforms are gorgeous :awesome:.

I would talk about how fluid it looks but I have no clue what the fuck that means and how to make it so...

:slaphead: :essias:

NYs Gr8 1

Novice
Apr 6, 2014
Ha thanks for the reply! I think if you downloaded it you would see some of your concerns resolved. The screenshots make it look a good bit more cluttered than it is in my opinion. It's actually rather open with a lot of long sight lines. As far as making your own path through the map, the bottom is your friend. It has 2 hard paths, 2 grav lifts, 2 teleporters and 4 jump-ups located all around the map, taking you basically from one point to any other point. Jet-packs are also a lot of fun.

Reactions: wizton

wizton

Master
Sep 17, 2013
England
www.youtube.com
Ha thanks for the reply! I think if you downloaded it you...

No problem ;) I'll give it a download and restate mon opinión :awesome:.

Jet Packs are disgusting, plus I use Bumper Jumper so any attempt to use Jet Pack always results in some horrific death... But, me gusta. Random things to jump on is my kinda thang.

wizton

Master
Sep 17, 2013
England
www.youtube.com
Ok, my restated opinion :awesome::

Well, very nice map. I actually really liked it, really really liked it. I can see it taking a while for people to truly get their bearings, as there is a lot of sight lines in unexpected places, and there are very long lines as you said, but it's a good looking map... It isn't often I take to a competitive map this much. However I have no idea how it will perform in a match.

I take back my inventing of routes speculation, there's a lot of things to jump on.

Speaking of jumping on things, I did find it easy to get to some spots, even without jet pack. In Green and Gold, I could either slide jump or crouch jump onto the top of the two struts, and leap onto the Large Platform you have used as a wall, using the barrier it has to stop me flying off into the very strict kill boundaries you have in place ;) From top Gold where I did it, I could traverse along the all the way along until I was at the Red base tunnels, keep going a little bit more and tuck myself into a neat little spot on top of the large rock. This wasn't the best spot, but I could go the other way to blue, and hide on that 2x2 corner platform thing, or go on to the rocks beyond.

These aren't map destroying problems, I just like jumping around too much.

Overall: really nice map. And definitely deserves more attention. Cue Zandril :awesome:

:essias:

NYs Gr8 1

Novice
Apr 6, 2014
Thanks! Really great feedback, I'm happy you liked it. I will most definitely fine tune my kill boundaries a bit better. I thought I had them sealed pretty tight but I guess not!

Reactions: wizton

NYs Gr8 1

Novice
Apr 6, 2014
SourD updated Hyperbolic with a new update entry:

Hyperbolic 1.1

Some Minor structural and aesthetic changes to the map. Main structural change is more cover was added to the top bridge. little more cover added bottom mid.

Moved rockets from top mid to bottom mid and put them on 3 min ordnance spawn. The hammer is gone and replaced by a 0-spare-clip shotgun in the bottom floor of each base. Snipers have been moved to an ordinance based 2:30 respawn time. Pulse grenades took the place of rockets at top middle.

Killzones were tuned a bit better

Some...

Read the rest of this update entry...

reaper3bot0

Qualified
May 12, 2014
heres my feedback:
I like curvy bridges, differnt height variations windows and the general flow reminds me of a old knightmare map I made with huge improvements, The jump points are well tuned, the lines of sight are pretty bang on. You might possibly have too many power weapons on the map.... But Id have to play it in a custom to tell. For your first map this is pretty decent Id even say match making worthy. all in all good job.