How to find Inspiration for a Minigame

Apr 27, 2013
UK
How to find Inspiration for a Minigame
(inspired by xAudienceofone's post on finding inspiration for maps in general)

I find that far too many experienced forgers know how to make a good competitive map, but shy away from minigame creation. I've been forging since halo 3 with a total of around 30 maps across the games. 29 are minigames. Over time I have become much more efficient at thinking of new concepts to forge. I really want the community to make more, especially those who haven't tried before. The purpose of this thread is to help forgers, new and old, to understand the thought process that goes into finding inspiration for a minigame. Even if you have made some in the past, you will likely find use in this guide for making more :)

There are three easy ways to think up a minigame:

1. Take one element of regular combat and focus on it
Minigame creation involves stripping all of halo down to a single basic concept, then building it back up from there. For instance, duck hunt. The creator may have thought to himself: 'what do I enjoy in halo that's fun and requires skill?'... shooting a sniper rifle. So let's build an idea out of that. cut out all the complications of other weaponry and terrain, focus on the fundamentals. so who am I shooting at? Well, an obstacle course is also fun and also requires skill, so I'll shoot at players as they progress towards me. And just like that, you've made an all time classic! This is probably the easiest way to think of a minigame. Here are some other basic combat concepts off the top of my head to get you thinking:
Splattering people in a ghost, following someone through a wall with a radar, boosting in a wraith, hunting someone with promethean vision, bouncing a frag of around a corner...

2. Play with trait zones
Trait zones are a real blessing, for the first time we can give opposing teams completely different traits outside the parameters of flood / infection. So play around on a test map in forge, maybe with a guest controller, give each team a strength and each team a weakness. for instance, stealth vs firepower (Ghostbusters), defence vs firepower (Shields up), evasion / speed vs firepower, (my map, Paranormal Pests), ease of sight vs speed (Boogeyman), firepower vs ability to hide in trees (that one's for you ;)) . As in the examples above, sometimes you can make the traits very unbalanced, and then resolve it by having only 1 player with said traits. You can also consider ways of tipping the balance through map structure (eg, one team may hold a castle while the other does not, or one team may be in a pit with the other firing down).

Once you've found an interesting way of setting traits against each other, you can decide which gametype you want it in: slayer, flood, 1-flag ctf? finally, brainstorm what kind of a map will work best with the teams' opposing strengths. when it comes to minigames, you will often think up the gametype before the map that you're going to put it in.

3. Find a quirk, glitch, mod, or interesting gametype option to exploit
This is how to make more complex minigames which will really stand out from the crowd. Halo 4 has lots of querks and I'd advise learning all the ins and outs of how to use trait zones and every single trait in them (as well as every gametype option for useful gametypes like flood) before getting to work on this. There are some great YouTube channels for showing glitches and quirks, namely Petetheduck's forge quacks series. Of course there are loads of channels which like to showcase mods like 0IAH and Team Epiphany. In my opinion, a really good minigame should include elements of halo that people didn't even know existed, a lot of my maps are made to include things like this (infinitely bouncing sticky grenades, ability to teleport at will, banshees that can only deal damage by destroying themselves). Once you find a quirk or mod that you believe to have potential, the rest is up to you.

Examples of quirks and glitches
A spartan laser glows in the dark when being charged, a railgun has a delay before hitting a distant target, taking an empty Spartan laser into a traitzone with 'unlimited clip' will make the laser rapid fire, a loud 'predator' sound is given out when a player turns on their promethean vision, concussion rifles send vehicles flying and it is very hard to jump properly when being shot by one, KOTH hills can be placed on all sorts of things like armor abilities or weapons to make juggernaut-like gametypes....

My favourite mods for minigames
Forklift mod (allows you to fuse vehicles and other objects together), rapid fire scorpion & wraith mod, infection mod (adds a new gametype with lots of customisation).

Write your ideas down
Most of my ideas come to me when I'm nowhere near the console (often when I'm eating breakfast for some reasono_O). I would advise writing down your ideas as soon as they come to you, personally I have a dedicated list on my ipod with about 55 minigames concepts atm. Some of them are just basic ideas, some are more developed but have hit a game-breaking obstacle that I'm trying to think around, a couple require gametype options that don't even exist in halo 4 (but did in Reach) which I have kept incase they may be possible in future halo games, and about 10 are developed enough that I could pick up my controller right now and build them... but I'm kinda lazy. yes, so lazy that even playing a game can feel like too much work. the point is to write every idea down so that if one hits a problem then you can focus on something else for a while and then come back to it later when you have more experience, knowledge and it helps to simply have a fresh perspective.

Sources of inspiration
There are loads of places to look for inspiration outside of halo: films, other games, arcade / board games, interesting buildings such as a school or your house, or even nature. I've had lots of ideas from watching nature documentaries as there are some strange predator/prey relationships out there, very good for inspiring flood. For example, I created a griffball style game after watching a documentary on ants. Where's the connection? It gave me the idea to have a worker loadout and a soldier loadout, where the workers have energy swords and can carry the ball whilst soldiers have grav hammers but cannot pickup the ball. An advantage of drawing ideas from outside of halo is that players enjoy a game with a bit of role play in it, they enjoy the idea of being a spider or a shark or Katniss from the hunger games. They also love playing other games in halo, which is odd when you think about it because if you wanted to play packman then wouldn't it be better to just play packman?

To finish off, remember that brainstorm question from earlier if you're really struggling for ideas,

'what element of halo do I enjoy and requires skill?'

Jan 9, 2013
I tend to try to create or revamp real life games. I've made Marco Polo (M4rco P0l0) and I've tried to make Monkey in the Middle (didn't turn out well.) Usually, trying to recreate real games gives me ideas for new minigames. Occasionally, you can revamp a game someone else created in order to create an entirely new game. I find minigames to be the most fun to forge because it requires a skill that isn't usually seen while forging other types of maps. It requires technicality. You need to know how to make the game work the way you want it too. Similar to working with redstone in Minecraft. Although redstone looks harder than forging, I feel that the difficulty is the same. I am quite better at forging than redstone, but redstone is based on a computer/binary system and with little effort but a lot of time, anyone could learn it; just like anyone can learn to make a minigame. Complex minigames also take the same amount of time to create as, say, a Flood map. While the Flood forger must look for balance and Aesthetics, the minigame forger must play with the gametype settings as well as the actually technical parts of the map. Usually this includes jumping between custom games and forge until you get a result that is what you want, but more importantly, consistent. You never want a minigame that changes every time you play it. The minigame forging process is also harder because they usually take longer to test. Minigames are the only game type that you have to test with different amounts of people. When you are creating a minigame you have to envision how it would play with 16 instead of 4, and the outcome isn't always what you wanted. Sometimes this cannot be fixed and you are forced to limit the amount of players, but usually it involves fixing the map, sometimes in drastic ways. So the next time someone tells you that minigames are too easy to forge, tell them to remake Jump Rope (Wraith splattering teleporters and all) and tell them to get back to you.

Reactions: Rabid MidgetMan

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
I find that far too many experienced forgers know how to make a good competitive map, but shy away from minigame creation.

Story of my life. -__-

Good post man. I've been making competitive maps ever since I started forging. Then I decided to challenge myself by making a flood map which turned out great.

Hopefully, I'll make my own mini game soon. :)

Reactions: Charles Stoot

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Pretty good write up. In my opinion though, one should always thrive to bring out that one minigame that blows people's minds, rather than pumping out a lot of funny, cheesy maps that are only good for shits 'n giggles. Look at Armor Walkers in Reach. It was insanely creative, yet it was the only minigame Metawaddledee really made. I've decided to skip several ideas for that sole reason: I didn't think it was worth the time because they weren't creative enough in my opinion. I would make some minigames that I actually do think are pretty creative (you wouldn't believe how many ideas I suddenly came up with back in the end of Reach), if only I could actually make them in Halo 4. It's a shame that the Insane gametype was left out, because it was an awesome gametype that I would need for 90% of them and now I cannot make them anymore.

So, long story short: I prefer to leave the minigame forging to the real pro's and the people that are really dedicated to making them, since the ones I came up with that are actually forgeable in Halo 4 are not that cool anyway. At least for now, I better stick with Flood. :)

Apr 27, 2013
UK
Pretty good write up. In my opinion though, one should always thrive to bring out that one minigame that blows people's minds, rather than pumping out a lot of funny, cheesy maps that are only good for shits 'n giggles. Look at Armor Walkers in Reach. It was insanely creative, yet it was the only minigame Metawaddledee really made. I've decided to skip several ideas for that sole reason: I didn't think it was worth the time because they weren't creative enough in my opinion. I would make some minigames that I actually do think are pretty creative (you wouldn't believe how many ideas I suddenly came up with back in the end of Reach), if only I could actually make them in Halo 4. It's a shame that the Insane gametype was left out, because it was an awesome gametype that I would need for 90% of them and now I cannot make them anymore.

So, long story short: I prefer to leave the minigame forging to the real pro's and the people that are really dedicated to making them, since the ones I came up with that are actually forgeable in Halo 4 are not that cool anyway. At least for now, I better stick with Flood. :)

Yeah i know exactly what you mean about halo 4 limitations, i had a spur of ideas at the end of reach too. The first 3 maps i made in halo 4 never made it to a custom game lobby because I would finish the map, go to make the gametype and then rage because I would find a crucial game option had been left out, or upon starting the game I would find a chance glitch that undermined it.

In regards to minigame quality, I agree that I think it's important to strive for a really innovative idea. I really try to, but wat i found, in particular during the closing days of reach, was that the more innovative / obscure the minigame i made, the less enjoyable it was. I got so obsessed with thinking of unique ideas that I really lost track of the fun side of the games i was making. I put that down to the fact that it felt like almost every original idea that had potential to be fun had already been done, except for insane gametype ideas as you say. I'm really missing the oppotunities that gametype gave, its amazing how much could be done with the simple idea of getting numerous 'ball' objects to a 'goal' area.

Reactions: REMkings

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah i know exactly what you mean about halo 4 limitations, i had a spur of ideas at the end of reach too. The first 3 maps i made in halo 4 never made it to a custom game lobby because I would finish the map, go to make the gametype and then rage because I would find a crucial game option had been left out, or upon starting the game I would find a chance glitch that undermined it.

In regards to minigame quality, I agree that I think it's important to strive for a really innovative idea. I really try to, but wat i found, in particular during the closing days of reach, was that the more innovative / obscure the minigame i made, the less enjoyable it was. I got so obsessed with thinking of unique ideas that I really lost track of the fun side of the games i was making. I put that down to the fact that it felt like almost every original idea that had potential to be fun had already been done, except for insane gametype ideas as you say. I'm really missing the oppotunities that gametype gave, its amazing how much could be done with the simple idea of getting numerous 'ball' objects to a 'goal' area.

Yeah I've been feeling like that too. It's more difficult to make ingenious minigames understandable.

Charles Stoot

Master
Jan 13, 2013
Maine
www.youtube.com
I agree with everything except the second one. Yes use trait zones they are a blessing, but I think the best Mini Games are without them. Like Blaze Cave, Meta Relay, Speed Run, Smashy Chase, Tremors, and so many more. But there are some maps that can't avoid using trait Zones, like Green Lantern, Musical Shields, The Jolly Roger, Crash Up Derby, Bear Pong, and yes even Chase had to use a Trait zone. I will agree that they are a blessing, but I believe the best maps are by using constructed creativity to avoid using a trait zone.