Gaming GamerModz.com Create-A-Controller Review

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
Are you fed up with your half-broken, lame Xbox 360 controller? Do you want to level-up your game and give yourself that extra edge? Do you love customization and shiny new toys? If so, GamerModz.com is the first place to go!

GamerModz specializes in customized Xbox and Playstation modded controllers, and has been in the modded controller business for longer than any other company. Their excellent "Create-A-Controller" interface is perfect for designing exactly what you want, with over 5 million possibilities! I had the opportunity to review one of the models given; here's what I had to say about it:

First of all, I absolutely loved the Create-A-Controller interface: http://www.gamermodz.com/Build-Your-Own-Modded-Controller/productinfo/CAC/. I've worked with customized controller companies before, and it's always been either a stock image and choice - "It will kind of look like this! Promise!". Not so at GamerModz! You can see the changes that you make dynamically; with a huge selection of possibilities, its a fun experience to design a controller even if you're not able to buy it. There are 18 major styles of components: matte, clear, glossy, chrome, zombie, candy zombie, marble, swirl, candy swirl, shadow wire, tiger stripe, flames, dead head, kooky skull, water drop, gears of war, circuit board, and special -- and each of those has a multitude of color variations!

The controller I designed was based on a chrome "red, white, and blue" theme. I chose mostly "Chrome Red" parts, a "Swirl Blue" shell, and "Matte White" thumbsticks with a white LED ring. You can see a picture of my design below:
aaron_controller1.png

Swirl Blue Shell, Chome Red Trim, Chrome Silver Bumper, Chrome Red Triggers, Matte White Thumbsticks, Chrome Red D-Pad, Chrome Red Buttons, White LED Ring, SPS-X2 Rapid Fire

I was really pleased with what the final product looked like. It really looks exactly the same, if not better, than the preview picture. In particular, the chrome REALLY stands out and looks amazing. It's very shiny and look, for lack of a better word, extremely badass. I was extremely impressed by the detailed paint job on the shell as well, they did an excellent job. There are no areas where there was any obvious scraping, screwing, or chipping. The LED is bright and looks amazing. In terms of aesthetics, there is no better place to go.
photo.JPG

A few things I would have liked to see would be:
1. A wired option! You can only get a wireless controller on GamerModz, unfortunately. Since I have a Plug&Play kit, it's not a big deal, but it would be a great move to offer a wired option for the more hardcore.
2. Customized writing! It would be super nice to have your gamertag painted on your controller.
3. Chrome thumbsticks! I know that it seems silly, but it would have looked awesome on my controller.

On to actual performance! I used the rapid-fire function in Halo 4 and Call of Duty to test its performance, and it worked admirably well. To set rapid-fire, hold down the Right Trigger and press Sync. Then, click the Right Trigger the amount of times you want to fire per a second, and hit Sync again to save it. When you hold down the Right Trigger, it will fire that amount per a second! This works really well for some guns in Halo 4 -- for example, the SAW is deadly accurate with a 10-15 burst per a second. I found that a rate of 5-10/second was great for the DMR and Carbine, and really helped me win those close one-on-one battles. Lastly, I set the rate to a low 2-5/second for SWAT so that it would shoot in bursts of two at a time. That gave me that extra moment to concentrate on hitting the headshot rather than timing the shot, and my accuracy was far improved. You can cycle through the rapid-fire functions of Right Trigger, Both Triggers, and Off simply by clicking the Sync button. That means that switching between rapid-fire on and rapid-fire off was simple and didn't interrupt gameplay!

Overall, I was very impressed with the quality of both GamerModz's paint job and their rapid-fire performance. In addition, their customer support has been a pleasure to work with, they work tirelessly to make you the happiest customer that they can. I strongly recommend you go to http://www.gamermodz.com/Build-Your-Own-Modded-Controller/productinfo/CAC/, make a controller, and check out their website!

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Insane54 said:
1. A wired option! You can only get a wireless controller on GamerModz, unfortunately. Since I have a Plug&Play kit, it's not a big deal, but it would be a great move to offer a wired option for the more hardcore.
2. Customized writing! It would be super nice to have your gamertag painted on your controller.
3. Chrome thumbsticks! I know that it seems silly, but it would have looked awesome on my controller

Yeah, I prefer a wired controller as well and I can't disagree that awesome moment when you'd get your controller out of the mail and see your gamertag on it. However chrome thumb sticks is leaning toward nitpicking, it really sits on that line of questionable really.

With the performance skill, you make it sound really useful. At first when I read about this sync button I was hesitant that it would just be a distraction in fast paced games like SWAT, but I'll take your word for it here. I've had experience with custom controllers before, and it can be said that I was disappointed, kind of like how at a restaurant the food doesn't look like the picture in the menu. But the comparison with the generated image and the finished product is very impressive and I'll have to have a look at this as soon as I get time.

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
Yeah, I prefer a wired controller as well and I can't disagree that awesome moment when you'd get your controller out of the mail and see your gamertag on it. However chrome thumb sticks is leaning toward nitpicking, it really sits on that line of questionable really.
Agreed, the third is straight-up nitpicking. Really wish they'd do wired though!

With the performance skill, you make it sound really useful. At first when I read about this sync button I was hesitant that it would just be a distraction in fast paced games like SWAT, but I'll take your word for it here. I've had experience with custom controllers before, and it can be said that I was disappointed, kind of like how at a restaurant the food doesn't look like the picture in the menu. But the comparison with the generated image and the finished product is very impressive and I'll have to have a look at this as soon as I get time.
Since the setting 'sticks' and cycles, its surprisingly natural to change your rapid-fire setting on the go. For example, I'll swap to boltshot and while I do, switch my rapid-fire off (because i want to hold down a shot rather than fire lots in succession). Then, when I switch back to a new weapon I can naturally switch back to rapid-fire on.

The button feels pretty natural to use after a few games, but not natural enough that I feel confident switching in a fight, if that makes sense. Also mind that it only works when you hold down the trigger, so you can for example snipe and still have a double-shot DMR. One thing it can't do is automatically switch out of a weapon you WANT to hold down -- boltshot, plasma pistol, those types of weapons.