Halo Game Capture Devices

SNOOOOOB

Qualified
Jan 31, 2013
Im in the market for a game capture device. I was looking at the Elgato Hd. I was wondering if this device was able to record game chat because some of my voice actors are out of state. I would really appreciate some advice since I have little experience in this subject.

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
Of course. Any gaming capture device can record all the sounds you hear from your tv when you're playing. That includes other player's voices and notification sounds, besides the obvious gaming sound effects. So again, yes, the elgato can record game chat.

BigStack

Server Caretaker
Staff member
Dec 23, 2012
I have the black magic HDMI cap card in my PC. There new USB3 version is very handy though if you have USB3 ports to use. Works with about any cap software. You do need significant disk read/write speed to capture in HD.

SOLIDSNAKEee

Salad Snack
Jan 26, 2013
Ireland
Recording game chat is fairly simple and any capture device can do it , all you need to do is set your preferences on your xbox to allow game chat to go through your speakers or headset and speakers.

As for devices , I started off with the Roxio SD and then moved on to the Roxio HD. I'd recommend neither though as I'm currently using an Elgato which ( if the recording program is open ) allows you to go back and record things that you might have missed.

If you could afford it though and your PC/laptop could handle it , I'd recommend getting a black magic capture card as they're the best in the business.But they are't cheap.

Jul 19, 2013
Kentucky, Merica
I have also been looking very througly for a good CapCard/Device to use. Elgato, Black Magic, and Roxio get the job done; but I have a hard time figuring out which one is best. Especially since I plan to begin to do some machinima work this fall.

SNOOOOOB

Qualified
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for all the help, I am still having some difficulties though. When I tried to record my party chat, it only recorded my friends voice and not mine. I have very little experience in this subject so any information about recording voice by any means would be extremely helpful, thanks.

SNOOOOOB

Qualified
Jan 31, 2013
Really I guess the main question at this point is how to record my own voice, thats the maine problem I am facing right now

SOLIDSNAKEee

Salad Snack
Jan 26, 2013
Ireland
Well to record your own voice you first need a microphone hooked up till your computer/laptop. After that depending on the software you're using ( for example the elgato allows you to record your own commentary over the gameplay allowing for a live commentary ) it may be different but to record your own voice there is a free program to download call Audacity. Look into it and then get back to me :y:.

SNOOOOOB

Qualified
Jan 31, 2013
Yea I have the elgato and I saw the live commentary thing, I just wasn't sure I wanted to use it. You see I want to be able to record the conversations I have withe my friends, im just not sure what the best way to do that is.

SOLIDSNAKEee

Salad Snack
Jan 26, 2013
Ireland
Yea I have the elgato and I saw the live commentary thing, I just wasn't sure I wanted to use it. You see I want to be able to record the conversations I have withe my friends, im just not sure what the best way to do that is.

Well there are other ways to get the best possible quality but it requires skype and another free program called call graph ( it allows you to record both ends of the conversation ).

SNOOOOOB

Qualified
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for the advice. I have a mac so I cant get Call Graph unfortunately. I might just try the live commentary thing, unless anyone has any better ideas.

SNOOOOOB

Qualified
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for! This is why I like the halo community, always willing to help out a fellow gamer.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Live in fear, b****es!

eW6Q3v9.jpg