Forge Theory: Map Size

Do you think this is consistent throughout all maps?

• Total voters
Forge Theory Post #1

I would like to discuss competitive forging in a more deeper level. When making a map, I notice people tend to make mistakes on the player count of their map and the overall layout.

Map Size
So we all know that there are BTB maps, 4v4 map, objective exclusive, etc. But what defines a map size and how many players fit in each category?
After seeing all the maps Bungie and 343i made so far, I found a pattern in all maps. Lets look at some from Halo 4:

adrift Map Layout.jpg

This is Adrift, one of Halo 4's smaller maps. Not much to see here.
The map is small, has a lot of indoor close-quarters combat and a few longer vantages but still within sprinting distance. A small map is easy to recognise because all it really is, is a small combat area. No vehicles are ever present in this map size mainly because its too small to have any room for driving, which leads me to my next point.

Complex Map Layout.jpg

Here is a view of Complex, the awkward medium map.
Its essentially a small map wrapped in a vehicle circuit. Some categorise it as a small map, but at the same time its makes 4v4 games much more slower paced than if its played 5v5 or 6v6. But gets too chaotic at 7v7 or more. These are medium maps, recognised by having a small vehicle circuit, usually consisting of Mongooses and Ghosts.

Why not Warthogs? Medium maps like this one, as told by the Halo 4 lead map designer Kynan Pearson, Warthogs cannot work on a map like Complex because the Infantry Combat Area is much more influential than the Circuit, meaning that the circuit is much smaller and tighter compared to other maps.

6:40 ->

Of course, every rule has its exceptions. If you have a smaller combat area and a larger vehicle circuit you end up with a map like Harvest, which does allow Warthogs. Clearly seen to have large open roads with ramps, Harvest is able to support these vehicles.

The vehicle circuit is balanced by having indoor areas where vehicles can't access but where infantry can access the vehicle circuit. What this means is that vehicles are out in the road, but at the same time, they do have some cover and alternate paths to take. Many maps encourage Infantry-Vehicle interaction.

Exile Map Layout.jpg

Here is our most beloved map in Halo 4, Exile and all its beauty.
This is clearly a large map, considering that it bears the mighty scorpion, and in some gametypes, the wraith and banshee. It can easily support 8v8 and takes a while to get around on foot, but we've seen maps that are bigger.

Like the medium maps, it has the inner combat area and the vehicle circuit. All a large map really is, is a medium map plus extra combat area.

When designing a BTB map you would want to keep in mind that if you are going to have heavy vehicles, you are recommended to have the circuit sandwiched between infantry exclusive combat areas so that the vehicles aren't overpowered. Otherwise you'll end up with a tank sitting backed up to a wall doing target practice, which is why you usually encounter the scorpion tank back down at the clearing by the blue base against the wall.

On small maps, there is usually one or two power weapons in the middle of the map. On large maps like these, that won't cut it due to the large amount of vehicles on-map. It is recommended to have at most one or two power weapons at each base initially and a few a bit closer to the centre. This would make the teams more balanced in case the other team gets a hold of the central power weapon/heavy vehicle.

Remember this is only a theory, there are always exceptions.
I hope this helps, reply if you have any questions involving map size and try to integrate these concepts into your map.

Next Post: Player Count

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
Nice thread, well put together. You bring up a lot of important elements of forging that forgers should think about when designing their maps.
I want to add that when designing a BTB, it's important to make sure there is a fun circuit for the vehicles to drive.
Nobody likes awkward sharp turns, weirdly angled ramps that slow you down, rocks and crap getting in the way.
The vehicle circuit should be simple to understand, smooth and fun to drive.
Then the infantry area can be built around it to accentuate it.

Nice thread, well put together. You bring up a lot of important elements of forging that forgers should think about when designing their maps.
I want to add that when designing a BTB, it's important to make sure there is a fun circuit for the vehicles to drive.
Nobody likes awkward sharp turns, weirdly angled ramps that slow you down, rocks and crap getting in the way.
The vehicle circuit should be simple to understand, smooth and fun to drive.
Then the infantry area can be built around it to accentuate it.
Yes! Like in THFE's tutorials that is an important aspect in BTB. I will cover that in a future post!

FragsturBait

Expert
Jan 22, 2013
Colorado, USA
Does anyone have anything that could help with the verticality and basic structure of maps because that is something I find my maps lack.

Google Sketchup. You can do a bit of planning, play with designs and whatnot. I'm pretty sure you can download a forge object pallette for it too. At least for Reach. Not sure if one has come out for Halo 4 yet.

Reactions: Ormy96

NextLotus

Novice
Jan 14, 2013
I like analysis. But I think symmetrical and asymmetrical maps have differences in this regard, and I expect even the good asymmetrical maps have some staples.
Really though, I think the points you outlined should be basic understandings of balance, only partly from experience with the maps we've seen released over the years, and partly from just good common sense (like balancing power weapon spawns on a map, and giving plenty of interior combat space protected from vehicle routes on a large map).