[Feb 15, 2013] FragsturBait's Ultimate Competitive Kustoms I (FragsturBait)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FragsturBait

Expert
Jan 22, 2013
Colorado, USA
FUCKlogo_zps2fd88fe0.gif

Welcome Welcome! Come one, come all (lobby cap set at 8) to the very first edition of FragsturBait's Ultimate Competitive Kustoms! We'll be testing your submissions to 343i & THFE's Meet Your Maker contest. The contest is simple. Make a map for 4v4 Infinity Slayer, win fabulous prizes!

If you have a map you'd like to test, link to it's halocustoms.com or forgehub.com thread in your post. If it doesn't have a thread, please post your GT, the map name, and the Forge Map that it's built on so I can go download it. If your GT is different from your username, make a note of that as well please. I've got 10 spots total, Everyone gets up to two, and I'll update this post with your information as you sign up. Once the first 10 spots are full you'll get added to the reserves. If someone can't make it, or the lobby is going strong and no one wants to stop, you're up! You can test two different maps, or the same map twice. If you don't have a map to test and just want to play, that's fine too! If you can't make it but would like us to test your map, let me know and we'll try to fit you in. But please understand that priority will be given to those in attendance that need maps tested.

Lobby Playlist:
1: FragsturBait - The Wedge
2: JoeKool - Salvage
3: Z3R0FLAME - Mercado
4: Arkitek - Windfall
5: Arkitek - Purlieu
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
-RESERVES-
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:

In the interest of time, and to keep things interesting, we'll be playing every map once. If there's anything anyone wants to play again we can go back to it once I make it through my list.

*DISCLAIMER*
I in no way represent 343i, THFE, Ducain23, or any of the other partners of this contest.

Reactions: NinetysBorn

JoeKool

Proficient
Jan 9, 2013
La Crosse, Wisconsin
I'm going to test my map Mercado. The preview is here.
Until I get a thread up on the Maps section, you can look under my GT: oOZeroFlameOo for the map. It is compatible with Slayer and CTF, although for the contest's sake we should just play the Slayer variant.

If I get the thread up, people can post their comments on the map when I edit this post.

Nice map. Nice video on youtube too.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
I have the map posted here. I'll try my best to get to the lobby tonight, but I have an English paper to do before midnight and I started on it today.

JoeKool

Proficient
Jan 9, 2013
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Don't know when I will be able to hop online tonight but this is the map I have been working on.
Map Name: Salvage
Forge Map: Ravine
Gametype: Default Infinity Slayer
Youtube Preview:

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
I have two maps to test, Windfall and Purlieu.

Since I don't have a ForgeHub account, I'm going to respond to my feelings on Purlieu.

The map was very well forged, with unique details. I liked the layout, especially since the asymmetric-ness wasn't imbalanced.

Negatively, the spawns were very messed up, and the weapons could use some tweaking. I would consistently respawn on the opposite side of the map to the enemies, with little cover and nowhere to go that wasn't covered by a flank. Weapons, especially the ones located in buildings, were an annoyance. A good risk-reward strategy is to put the ordinance in the streets or away from where it could actually be used. You did this well with the Railgun, though.

FragsturBait

Expert
Jan 22, 2013
Colorado, USA
Tadaa! A recap!
Make sure to rate the lobby if you attended. Thanks again everyone for making my first lobby a good one.

Since I don't have a ForgeHub account, I'm going to respond to my feelings on Purlieu.

The map was very well forged, with unique details. I liked the layout, especially since the asymmetric-ness wasn't imbalanced.

Negatively, the spawns were very messed up, and the weapons could use some tweaking. I would consistently respawn on the opposite side of the map to the enemies, with little cover and nowhere to go that wasn't covered by a flank. Weapons, especially the ones located in buildings, were an annoyance. A good risk-reward strategy is to put the ordinance in the streets or away from where it could actually be used. You did this well with the Railgun, though.
I also liked Purlieu, it kind of reminded me of a mini Boneyard in terms of layout and how it played. The only thing I would add is that it was possible to get stuck on the roofs in possible because of the trait zone. Its worth the time to use safe/kill barriers to keep people in your map. You've got more control over what you can do, and you don't have to worry about the trait zone messing with nonstandard gametypes.
Windfall on the other hand. I have nothing bad to say about. I really liked this one. It had a unique layout, lots of interesting design, and some really cool playspaces. Most of the action was centered around the hangar structure that the rockets spawned in, but there were plenty of routes and vantage points to try and flank the other team. You've made a map that played REALLY well with Infinity Slayer, which is something that I myself haven't quite gotten the hang of yet.
Don't know when I will be able to hop online tonight but this is the map I have been working on.
Map Name: Salvage
Forge Map: Ravine
Gametype: Default Infinity Slayer
Youtube Preview:
I really liked the gimmick of the warthog conveyor, but you should think about adding a trait zone to keep people from driving them. That one platform was a little overpowering, you know which one I'm talking about right? That one. I really liked the concept, and I think if you take out some of the prebuilt structures and try to make your own, your map will be a whole lot more interesting.
I have the map posted here. I'll try my best to get to the lobby tonight, but I have an English paper to do before midnight and I started on it today.
Really liked it. I've never played the COD map, but you really managed to capture the feel of Call of Duty levels. The only feedback I would add to what you've already gotten is that flat doesn't have to be a problem, if you added a bit more cover to the ground level it would help. You should also consider adding a few more routes up to the 2nd level of the map.

Arkitek

Novice
Feb 8, 2013
Windfall: Being my map and all, I felt this played really well. I think the sniper platform looking at red base is a tad too open as well as red base itself, so I'll move some crates around and fix that. Other than that i thought it went well.

Purlieu: Red team was constantly confined to their building, as I felt as it became a holdout point for a spawn trap on red team. I will probably redesign red base and create more paths and variations from Red base to avoid blue team trapping them in that corner. I'll also influence spawning on the flank of a spawn trap does happen. Other than that I was happy. And there is no Trait Zone on Purlieu, there is only soft kill barriers keeping players within the map. I think you're mixing it up with Mercado, where someone got stuck up on a block.

Mercado: Since I was familiar with the map's layout, I quickly got into it. It had some good flow to it around the middle, but I felt as the map went outward there was less and less in terms of structure and design. The outer areas with the rocks are missing walls, and in general the area just needs an uplift, and I'm confident you can redesign the spawn areas better. That's my only concern.

The Wedge: Thought this played really well. Nothing was too open or too closed, it had a nice feel all around. I liked how the overarching center cylinder served as both both an aesthetic structure and a LOS blocker, and it did it so well. Really nice job.

Salvage: The upper platform was a bit too powerful, and the ground level was too weak to counter. You should tone down how powerful that platform is and give more options to counter the high ground to the bottom-dwellers, that should really improve this map.

I think that's all the maps. Looking forward to F.U.C.K. #2!

JoeKool

Proficient
Jan 9, 2013
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Windfall: Being my map and all, I felt this played really well. I think the sniper platform looking at red base is a tad too open as well as red base itself, so I'll move some crates around and fix that. Other than that i thought it went well.

Purlieu: Red team was constantly confined to their building, as I felt as it became a holdout point for a spawn trap on red team. I will probably redesign red base and create more paths and variations from Red base to avoid blue team trapping them in that corner. I'll also influence spawning on the flank of a spawn trap does happen. Other than that I was happy. And there is no Trait Zone on Purlieu, there is only soft kill barriers keeping players within the map. I think you're mixing it up with Mercado, where someone got stuck up on a block.

Mercado: Since I was familiar with the map's layout, I quickly got into it. It had some good flow to it around the middle, but I felt as the map went outward there was less and less in terms of structure and design. The outer areas with the rocks are missing walls, and in general the area just needs an uplift, and I'm confident you can redesign the spawn areas better. That's my only concern.

The Wedge: Thought this played really well. Nothing was too open or too closed, it had a nice feel all around. I liked how the overarching center cylinder served as both both an aesthetic structure and a LOS blocker, and it did it so well. Really nice job.

Salvage: The upper platform was a bit too powerful, and the ground level was too weak to counter. You should tone down how powerful that platform is and give more options to counter the high ground to the bottom-dwellers, that should really improve this map.

I think that's all the maps. Looking forward to F.U.C.K. #2!

I have already reduced the sight lines considerably on Salvage's high ground areas. I have also replaced the Sniper rifles with 3 shot Railguns. I hope this will make the map flow a little better. I also replace the Ordnance drops with weapon placements on timers. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.