Competitive Entrenched

Dec 30, 2012
Entrenched (version beta) - Vertical action in a narrow ravine!

Entrenched takes its name from the aesthetic environment of its design, being that it is a vertical oriented arena map that features a deep trench-like ravine running through the length of the map and is enclosed in a mountainous ravine. In addition to the central trench pathway, the map also features four buildings (a base and auxiliary building for each team) as well as two "caves". It has three distinct elevation levels and a wide array of weapons.

Weapons:

Rockets 156*

Sniper x2 86*...

Read more about this map...

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
The bridge is not symmetrical
emoticon-2867-src-f02f9d40f66f0840-28x28.png

Looks cool, man!

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
I was able to play this yesterday. There were some spawning problems. Other than that, I think the sniper should be moved from its spawn. Where it is right now, it doesn't really encourage the player to move anywhere because the area's so campable.

I also think the routes need a little tweaking. I suggest adding a route from the top of the bases to the top platform in the middle. I think the bases need extra routes that lead to other key areas of the map because I noticed that players were only going there to regen their shields and when they're actually spawning there.

That's all I noticed so far. I'll try to get more games on the map soon.

I actually saved the film if you want it. https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/.../details/e4758151-ae0f-4538-b5c4-730396b5497c

Dec 30, 2012
I was able to play this yesterday. There were some spawning problems. Other than that, I think the sniper should be moved from its spawn. Where it is right now, it doesn't really encourage the player to move anywhere because the area's so campable.

I also think the routes need a little tweaking. I suggest adding a route from the top of the bases to the top platform in the middle. I think the bases need extra routes that lead to other key areas of the map because I noticed that players were only going there to regen their shields and when they're actually spawning there.

That's all I noticed so far. I'll try to get more games on the map soon.

I actually saved the film if you want it. https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/.../details/e4758151-ae0f-4538-b5c4-730396b5497c

I expected there to be rough spawning issues. It's been awhile since I've forged so I'm not on top of my game with setting up spawns anymore.

As far as gameplay goes, I actually like the current Sniper location. I feel that's the only adequate position for a sniper that allows two on the map and located in a contestable (although not too easily contestable) position. Ideally I'd like there to be some sort of trick jump from the base to the middle platform, but currently this is only possible from snipe spawn. Also, based off the design of the map, it really isn't well suited for Team Slayer games. The bases are meant to serve as a spawning hub and location for objectives rather than areas to "play around" in so to speak. Players can hold them down, sure, but they're also fairly exposed to a degree. They serve primarily as an auxilary point to the map and a means to host objectives.

It's difficult to make any structural changes to the map as well due to the lack of available pieces and budget, at least not without compromising aesthetics. You'll notice that the blocks, inclines and natural palettes are all almost used up entirely. Very problematic. Additionally, to connect the center buildings and the bases to each other in any way could severely disrupt the intended flow of the map as players would be more inclined to funnel straight into those two buildings rather than traversing the meat of the map through the central atrium.

The gametypes I think the map would play best are CTF and Ricochet, however those will probably have even worse spawn issues in its current iteration as I don't think the zones are adequately set up. Stupid game tries to spawn players as far away as possible, and this being an elongated map, I can see how it wants to spawn players in the bases more often. Blurgh.

Dec 30, 2012
SecretSchnitzel updated Entrenched with a new update entry:

Beta 4.1 Update!

Change Log:

Sandbox Changed. Weapons are now:
Overshield
Hologram x2
Concussion x2
Boltshot x2 (0 clip)
Dmr x2
Carbine x2
AR x2
BR x6
Frags x4
Sticky x4
Pulse x4

Structural Changes:
New hard route to bases.
Bases shortened.
One lift removed per base.
One way teleporter out of base added.
New jump ups added.
Structural cover to mid added.

Spawn Changes:
Many more spawn points added to broaden "net" players can spawn in.
Third 'Flag Away' Spawn hub added. These spawns are only in CTF....

Read the rest of this update entry...