Map Preview cs_Halo

Kantalope

Master
Feb 24, 2013
Who doesn't like a little SnD/CS action from time to time?

I became bored of the standard halo experience, and the 'fresh' experience of tactical slayer wasn't cutting it for me. I had to make something that would peak my interests as a forger again, so I created a set of game modes and maps to help develop a counter-strike feel in Halo 4.

First thing's first, the game modes are mostly modded ones(bombs, no flag-num, hostage). These, like in CS, are called scenarios. There are only 4 of them, and most maps are only balanced for one. Second of all, here are the stats for ALL scenarios.
-75% jump height
-no shields
-90% damage resistance​

Scenarios also have the same loadouts:
-Assault Rifle
-Frag
-Mobility
-Dexterity​
-Shotgun
-Frags
-Resupply
-Explosives​

GAME VARIANTS

Elimination Scenario(link to be added at a later date):
-Eliminate the enemy team. There is literally nothing else to this but killing,mmm...
-Play on maps with the 'dm' prefix
Bomb Scenario(http://tinyurl.com/nr4m3kv):
-Defend the site from bomb toting attackers.
-Play on maps with the 'de' prefix
Hostage Scenario(http://tinyurl.com/mz6u8th):
-Free your imprisoned comrade. (not tested yet)
-Play on maps with the 'cs' prefix
Intel Scenario(http://tinyurl.com/kozgbva):
-Capture the enemy intelligence.
-Play on maps with the 'tl' prefix

MAPS

de_Artifact(http://tinyurl.com/mptjd5h):
-Basically this is an assault on a large military controlled blast door protecting an ancient artifact. The assault rifle plays a key role in assaulting the control room bomb sites in that almost all areas of the map are medium to long range sight lines.
10353431_649332288490842_1308655902180431882_o.jpg

This is the only spot that overlooks the center and is completely out of the way of the top of the vault's sights.
10286949_649332241824180_3118771412070153670_o.jpg

This corner of the map is the least likely place that you'll find someone. It's very safe compared to the other areas.

cs_War_Factory(http://tinyurl.com/ozcap45):
-Assault the factory plaza to rescue your imprisoned comrade. With a sneaky tunnel route connecting the control room to the bay side and middle rubble, the defenders have to be careful of fire on their six. Much of this map has shotgun compatibility, but ARs still have an advantage throughout the main routes.
882127_649332411824163_7914467105115023857_o.jpg

On the bay side, the power generator is the only place available for an extraction point.
10339329_649332378490833_604327886404808090_o.jpg

The service tunnels serve as an additional route, increasing unpredictability among opponents.
10264266_649332425157495_9094688894098428104_o.jpg

This service platform allows attackers to defend the extraction point with a slightly better edge against the defenders.

I had some trouble making a few maps for the experience, mainly that the maps were far to small. Because of the 5v5 player standard, maps like skiebrothers' wetwork remake weren't good candidates. I actually believe that a map like Derailed from MW2 might work well.

I'd like some feedback about this thread, being the first preview I've posted. I may add additional maps to the fray.

Last edited:

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Should I just post this in the map section? I think that'll suit this post more.
I prefer to show my maps as previews first and then post them in the map section when I think they're final or at least a couple updates from being final. Map Previews are meant to draw in feedback and give people a glimpse of your map. If you haven't been receiving feedback, I suggest joining testing lobbies so that you can hear firsthand what people think of your map.

http://halocustoms.com/threads/may-11-2014-zannys-tippy-top-testing-lobby-zandril-s312.16381/

Reactions: Kantalope

Kantalope

Master
Feb 24, 2013
More often than not, building a map for games like Counter-Strike and Call of Duty allows for leeway in map layout variety. One example would be to compare Modern Warfare 2's Derailed to Black Ops 1's Firing Range. Derailed is open and moderately paced, amazing for SnD, and great for Ground War lobbies. Firing Range is a balanced and loved competitive map with no dead areas and amazing Domination gameplay. Another example from CS:GO is Operation Payback/Phoenix's cs_Downtown and de_Mirage added mid-last year. cs_Downtown is open near the Counter-Terrorist spawn while tight sight-lines and close quarters combat consumes the Hostage and Terrorist spawns. de_Mirage has A site very close to the Counter-Terrorist spawn with an over look advantage for the Terrorists while the B site is more of a safe back-up with a long trek to it for both teams.

Fortunately, knowing the theory of this set of mechanics almost directly translates to cs_Halo. I have had an easy time designing and producing cs_Halo maps, too. Maps in CoD, CS, and cs_Halo all follow a basic formula involving similar guidelines to competitive Halo, but they are more extreme, movement is harder to smooth out, and power positions are more commonly accepted.

In de_Artifact, the top of the vault is the main of two power positions, but one of the objectives are out of site. This creates two main flows, an up and a down, created by a conflict of opinion between the objective and the power position in unlimited lives game modes. Because Bomb Scenario is one life, the top has more precedence because elimination is an option.

In cs_War_Factory, the top middle has power over middle(main path) and generator(extration point). While the position is great, the Hostage spawn is completely out of sight, and if an enemy with a shotgun were to get up there with you, they would 9 times out of 10 win the fight. Players that come up against the position from most angles have enough cover to trick the opponent and strike from another position.

In the upcoming tl_Struck, there is no true power position. Only sight-lines and sneaky paths determine how powerful an area is. The setting is a fallen building on it's side. The original mission was to destroy the COM tower, but a set of half-armed demolition explosives caused the building to fall on it's side all while the city was in a flood. Because the original team is close enough to the controls of the tower, they can take the COMs recorder and disable the tower from there rather than destroying it. This is one of the maps that are too small and needs some testing.

I hope this "update" helps users understand this concept and look further into it. I might be testing/showing this at Zandril's lobby in a few hours(link above).

:doge::doge::doge::doge::doge:
All heil the doge army!!!​

Last edited: