Color of Rocks on Impact

I'm having crazy trouble getting the rocks on impact to be of a uniform color. It has something to do with the lighting, but I can't quite figure out what exactly determines the color a rock turns out to be. I've seen an awesome map on Impact called BRIMSTONE where the guy got every rock pitch black-- it was a modded map, and perhaps that had something to do with it, I wouldn't know. But there must be some method of at least getting them close to matching each other. I've looked through the dynamic lighting guide posted on this site (and others) but it doesn't address this issue. Does anyone out there have some insight on this? I'd really appreciate it.

Astiir

Master
Nov 2, 2013
Northern Ireland
No, as far as I'm aware there's no way to fix it. Just another typical Halo 4 glitch, nothing to do with modding. It commonly occurs in the default building on Impact, its lighting can be very unreliable : /

No, as far as I'm aware there's no way to fix it. Just another typical Halo 4 glitch, nothing to do with modding. It commonly occurs in the default building on Impact, its lighting can be very unreliable : /

It's driving me nuts. I get that they can't render the lighting for all of the different angles on a rock, but in that case they should just let us choose the shade. At first I thought it was dependent on the lighting where you spawned the rock, but then they started to change color when I moved them-- and not always! Just sometimes, so as to make it more confusing. I've put the same damn rock in the exact same position and gotten two different colors. Makes no sense at all.

I wonder how that guy did it on BRIMSTONE.

Reactions: Astiir

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
I think there are two possible solutions. The first would be "turning off" lighting on your rock pieces. You can do this selectively for each piece, by selecting "Spawn at Start" to FALSE and setting a spawn time before the game actually starts (before 10 seconds is recommended). The less conventional method would be to "break" the lighting intentionally. You can do this by spawning a lot of objects that have a high-lighting budget. View the guide for lighting here.

I think there are two possible solutions. The first would be "turning off" lighting on your rock pieces. You can do this selectively for each piece, by selecting "Spawn at Start" to FALSE and setting a spawn time before the game actually starts (before 10 seconds is recommended). The less conventional method would be to "break" the lighting intentionally. You can do this by spawning a lot of objects that have a high-lighting budget. View the guide for lighting here.

I'm pretty intrigued by the first suggestion. Have you seen that work before? I'll give that a shot tonight and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
Certain areas of canvases have little or next to no lighting. Stay away from areas like in the shadows of the big asteroids on impact, the narrow ravine on ravine, shadows of forge islands and anything near the ceiling of erosion.

The 0micron

Selppin
Jan 27, 2013
The shade of a rock all depends on your location. If you place a rock in the ground, you will get a really dark looking rock, or a really bright looking rock depending on which end of the light spectrum is closer. Your rocks will get yellowish-orange if place in proximity to the preplaced structure on Impact. Also to add to what PA1NTS said, the rocks will mildly change tone depending on shadows and any collision with the asteroids.

Reactions: kimjongillwill