Map Preview Castle Siege

Nutduster

Novice
Sep 6, 2013
This is a minigame I'm working on called Castle Siege (the map is, for now, just named Castle Island). I had this idea back in Reach using the Insane/Haloball gametype, but couldn't quite get the mechanics to make sense. It turns out that ricochet multi-team is even better-suited to making this work the way I imagined.

Castle Siege is played in rounds (right now 4 rounds of 5 minutes each - this and much else may be subject to change, pending test results). Each team plays offense and defense twice. When on defense, you sit behind or on the walls of a mighty stone-walled castle, trying to beat back the attackers. When on offense, you try to get inside the castle, kill people, and steal stuff, in the best marauding tradition.

How you get points: 1. Demolishing the castle. Attackers have catapults (mancannons) that fire fusion coils at the castle walls. The fusion coils go off with a mightier-than-usual BOOM and knock pieces out of the walls. Knock out enough blocks and you can punch holes in the outer and then inner walls that allow direct access. 2. Stealing the treasure. Three jewels (ricochet balls) spawn in the castle - grab them, run or drive away, and get back to your territory to score. Each theft is worth far more than demolishing a block, so really this is your big objective.

How you fight: Castle Siege offers two classes, knights and archers. Knights have the traditional sword (energy) and shield (hardlight - unlimited use) to do battle with, as well as an old-timey blunderbuss (shotgun) to fire off the catapults. They also have the mobility perk to facilitate their mindless aggression. Archers have their bow and arrow (sniper rifle) only - no AA, no backup weapon. On a map this big, archers are perhaps more critical of the two, but for the final invasion you need knights as well. And oh yeah, the defending team also has a dragon (banshee). Just one, so be gentle with it. As the round wears on, the offense will try to blast big holes in the walls, encroach, and steal the jewels away; the defense will try to keep the catapults from doing too much damage (you can shoot the people using them as well as shooting the fusion coils out of the air) and try to keep the castle un-marauded. There are also a couple sneaky extra ways into the castle that don't involve blowing stuff up, so the defense has to be on their toes.

I'll be testing this over the coming weeks, mainly in the Tuesday night TCOJ lobby. If you guys know Juanez Sanchez, AnotherClaymore, or any of those guys, look for any of us Tuesday nights starting at 7 Eastern time.

Pictures:

The castle.
cas1_zpsbed74dd3.jpg

From the defender's vantage point.
cas2_zpscdc3cb6c.jpg

Overhead view. Castle below, three stations of two catapults each spread throughout the woods above.
cas4_zpse83fc41c.jpg

Catapultin'.
cas5_zpsdc49f980.jpg

Stuff asplodes.
cas6_zps5fef1b00.jpg

You can do damage.
cas7_zpsbce1e4fd.jpg

Eventually you can do a LOT of damage.
cas8_zps56b2cfe0.jpg

Steal these; drive away.
cas9_zps416d9f73.jpg

But watch out for the dragon.
cas10_zps650a4dac.jpg

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Wow, this sounds really cool! I just played Ricochet for the first time the other day, and haven't had the chance to mess around with the settings yet. This is extremely clever and awesome though (and actually, I now wonder if I could finally create Toadz in the Hole 2: Toadz in t3h Outar Spacez using this mode). Having a dynamically changing map combined with a minigame that isn't just focused around a single action should prove very awesome indeed, I look forward to playing this.

I would love to see a bit less flat, open grass, though.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
When you loaded this up during TCOJ, I was very excited. But as the match went on, the experience just became boring and life-sucking for me.

Mostly because what was supposed to be an epic mini game turned into team snipers.

Perhaps the sniper shouldn't be a loadout weapon but a pick up. That way, the attackers will pay more attention to destroying the walls of the castle rather than sniping.

As for the defenders, maybe they shouldn't be able to get all the way to the spawning area of the attackers or, in this case, the catapults. It wouldn't be such a bad idea that the defenders can leave the castle but them being able to get all the way to the catapults is a bad idea IMO.

And finally, have you considered closing the map off? Do you have an wall coliseums you can use to enclose the map?

I hope to see this map updated because this map has so much potential. The idea is amazing and if its issues are fixed, it can truly be an amazing mini game.

Reactions: CrimmyZ

Juanez Sanchez

Proficient
May 30, 2013
I wouldn't go as far as to say this was life-sucking, damn. But you couldn't have foretold that the sniping would have overpowered the castle-smashing dynamic. I think this is not anything approaching a full-build but is instead one of your 'proof of concept' builds that will demonstrate what is possible in forge. This is some very seriously cool lateral thinking, Nuts. I hate to admit it but your a smart motherfucker.

Yay I can swear here!!

Reactions: AnotherClaymore