Halo Capture Cards

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
You could probably buy a Roxio for $130~ if you shop online. If you plan on editing, though, I wouldn't recommend it. It outputs captures in .m2ts format which is a pain in a half to even do the most basic editing on.

Spending the money on an Elgato is worth it if you plan to use it regularly.

Reactions: Astiir
Jan 29, 2013
what do you use for editing?

I have always used Microsoft Windows Live Movie Maker because it is free and decent. Is there something else better and free?

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
what do you use for editing?

I have always used Microsoft Windows Live Movie Maker because it is free and decent. Is there something else better and free?

Sony Vegas Pro has trouble handling M2TS, so god knows how terrible an experience you'd have using Movie Maker. That's probably your best bet if you're looking for free software unfortunately. I've heard some really good things about Lightworks video editor if you want to do a little research, though.

Jan 29, 2013
I use Movie Maker to render the m2ts files into wmv or some other common format. Then I edit it in Sony Vegas.
As in the $599 software package? I have no intentions of paying that much for an editor. MM is fine for what I need, what I am asking is does anything know of anything else that is free download?

I am downloading the free version of lightworks now... looks interesting...

Jan 29, 2013
So I am using the Lightworks free edition. The big thing at first is that it wasn't at all intuitive. MM was very intuitive. You dragged a pic or clip, you saw where it was, you saw how to adjust its time envelope, etc. Lightworks was not intuitive at all, and I was thinking it wasn't worth it. then I looked on their web site and ran through the tutorial videos. Those videos made it very simple to understand, and i plan to use it from now on. Much more flexible and powerful in every way.

Reactions: Auburn
Jan 29, 2013
Well I went and got the Elgato because it was on sale. I am finishing up collecting the clips for my video and finding the closer i come to finishing it the more i want to add to it. I like the Elgato, but I love Light Works, it is fantastic software. It took some time to learn how to use some of the effects, but it is really easy to edit with. It's freaking powerful.

JL1223 X

Master
Feb 14, 2013
Hong Kong
Elgato is the best capture card out there in the market. It's cheaper than some of the options out there, very small (My iPhone 5 is longer than the thing though it's about half a centimeter wider and 3 times as thick, which is still pretty dang small), easy to set up (How to set up: Plug in HDMI from Xbox to 'HDMI in'. Plug in HDMI to TV from 'HDMI out'. Plug USB cable into computer USB port. Complete.) and comes with a fairly decent software for capturing (Elgato Game Capture HD, which has some VERY unique features that exist NOWHERE else in the market that is best used for capturing live gameplay [flashback recording]) and the videos are captured in high quality, easily edited formats, and you can also upload straight to youtube from the captured video on the software. Further, it also makes it possible to stream gameplay to both youtube and twitch.

Elgato is legitamitely the best thing out there, and they've partnered with like a billion gaming YT channels that give users a discount.