Map Preview Caedis

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Hey guys, I'm happy to show you my very first Flood map on Halo 4. Ever since I've started forging, I've always made casual maps and competitive maps. This is my very first Infection map. Ever.

Despite my huge lack of experience making these kind of maps, I'm honestly pretty happy with how this map turned out.

And now, without further ado, I present...Caedis.

gB39AEh.jpg

Download link for map beta: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/effcbe31-df22-42f8-8072-fe6522d4e533

Custom Gametype download link: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/62e716ab-b9d2-4c8e-ad21-50eb4c4aebe6

The custom gametype is Phagein. The map used to be compatible with Hivemind but since players can't use turrets in Hivemind, I made the map work only with Phagein.

Caedis is not a very big Flood map but it's big enough for a fun game of Flood. I made this map themed as I believe a theme plays a huge part in a Flood map.

The theme is shipwreck. I'd say that I was able to make the aesthetics in the map really good and in the tests I held, the map also plays well.

UPDATE

What's new in this version:

- Spawning has been improved in the map.
- The initial spawns for the Flood and the Humans have been moved.
- There are now three holdout locations in the map all which are well defined. There used to be just one which resulted in boring, repetitive gamepay. With the newly added holdout locations, gameplay on the map is better.
- Added more aesthetics. These would be a sailboat and a part of one of the ships sinking into the water.
- Added some Extraction cylinders to provide some color to some areas of the map.
- Changed the weapon set.

SCREENSHOTS

h8DHcVu.jpg

viBna7N.jpg

QsFXCvA.jpg

faRo8Cx.jpg

tHsKXbD.jpg

45DpwmC.jpg

Ut7BbBb.jpg

htx2doY.jpg

AG9TqZc.jpg

RmBeC3k.jpg

DkX0Csv.jpg

That's pretty much it. If anyone can give the map a go and/or give me feedback, I'd really appreciate it.

Reactions: IroKnee and CrimmyZ
Feb 25, 2013
Looks pretty good for a first flood map, not a very original theme or name, nevertheless, your definetly did a good job pulling off the theme. But for any feedback, I would have to play the map.

Feb 25, 2013
Just letting you know, there's a very successful Flood map by the same name. You may want to rename it to make it more individual.

That aside, this actually looks… wow. Yet another map to make me feel bad about my Forge skills. The atmosphere is strong and unique, and you've managed to give the map varied textures even with the Forge Island palette. You know exactly what the setting is, yet it's still very mysterious. Very nice.

Elliot

Yorkshire Pudding Guru
Jan 10, 2013
York, United Kingdom
Ooooo! I tested this in my BIOC lobby last week. There were a few things I feel could be improved on;

• It seemed that the Flood were only spawning in one place. It made it quite predictable for the humans and pretty boring when playing as the Flood. It's a pretty easy fix.
  • There was only one holdout that people used, and I see why. It was way more defined than any of the others and was probably the best place to go to anyway. Maybe add another building and maybe even change the boat so you can holdout inside of it? Its best to have at least 4 main holdouts for a good variety of gameplay. Gameplay on this map tended to be the same every round because of both points I have made.
Despite these problems, it was fun! The map looks incredible, it has a very well defined theme too, which is brilliant. With a few edits, this could play as well as it looks!

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Ooooo! I tested this in my BIOC lobby last week. There were a few things I feel could be improved on;

• It seemed that the Flood were only spawning in one place. It made it quite predictable for the humans and pretty boring when playing as the Flood. It's a pretty easy fix.
  • There was only one holdout that people used, and I see why. It was way more defined than any of the others and was probably the best place to go to anyway. Maybe add another building and maybe even change the boat so you can holdout inside of it? Its best to have at least 4 main holdouts for a good variety of gameplay. Gameplay on this map tended to be the same every round because of both points I have made.
Despite these problems, it was fun! The map looks incredible, it has a very well defined theme too, which is brilliant. With a few edits, this could play as well as it looks!

Thanks for the feedback, Elliot. Means a lot. :)

How would you suggest I do the spawning? I'm a Flood forging noob. :p

Elliot

Yorkshire Pudding Guru
Jan 10, 2013
York, United Kingdom
Thanks for the feedback, Elliot. Means a lot. :)

How would you suggest I do the spawning? I'm a Flood forging noob. :p

Well, the reason the Flood were spawning in the same place was because everyone was going to the same spot. Adding more desirable holdouts would help for a start. But you can also add teleporters to allow the Flood to jump straight to wherever they want without the spawn system being a factor.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Well, the reason the Flood were spawning in the same place was because everyone was going to the same spot. Adding more desirable holdouts would help for a start. But you can also add teleporters to allow the Flood to jump straight to wherever they want without the spawn system being a factor.

I'll definitely add more holdouts. Should I have the teleporters to spawn at start-up or later in the game?

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
There was only one holdout that people used, and I see why. It was way more defined than any of the others and was probably the best place to go to anyway. Maybe add another building and maybe even change the boat so you can holdout inside of it? Its best to have at least 4 main holdouts for a good variety of gameplay. Gameplay on this map tended to be the same every round because of both points I have made.

Gonna have to second this, after that one game I've had. I was playing on it a while ago and I was going to mention that I did, but I noticed by the time you had already changed things so I'll go ahead and get a new game going soon. You can still get the footage if you want, then I'll put it in my fileshare.

My advice would be to heavily buff one of the boats, because all of them look amazing and it's a shame they're not being looked at because it's not worth it holding out in there.