Map Preview Cadence

SixteenthMatt

Master
Feb 10, 2013
Download Link: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/.../details/d8e98267-feb9-402b-909d-faaac067ea49

I started a version of this map back in December and promptly lost interest in Halo for a while. After E3 I when back and found this map and decided to start working on it again. I generally stick to 4v4 or 5v5 maps, but I wanted to make something more suited for 2v2 play.

Cadence (working title) is an asymmetric map with a multi-level center area with a ring of rooms around the outside. There is plenty of height variation throughout the map, along with various sight lines and angles for all ranges of combat. Much of the layout is based off another map I posted at the beginning of December (Paragon). Currently I only have the layout and some of the weapons in place, but I will update when I have a playable version ready. Feedback is always appreciated (along with map name suggestions).

Update: A playable version ready for download is posted above. I haven't had a chance to test it yet with other players. If you get a game on it let me know what you think.

Update 2: I managed to make quite a few changes to the map after a few playtests I had and feed back from other forgers. I ended up repalceing the lift with a ramp and reworking portions of the middle of the map. There were also quite a few smaller changes around the map that you may be able to spot. And Colors.

Gametypes
  • Slayer
  • Team Slayer
  • KOTH
  • 1 Site Extraction
  • Oddball
Weapons
  • Sniper - Ordinance - 176s
  • Scattershot - Ordinance - 146s
  • Speedboost- Ordinance - 146s
  • DMR x2 - Spawn - 30s - 1 Spare Clip
  • BR x2- Spawn - 30s - 1 Spare Clip
  • Assuault Rifle x2 - Spawn - 30s - 1 Spare Clip
  • Needler - Spawn - 90s - 1 Spare Clip
  • Plasma Grenades- Ordinance - 26s
  • Frag Grenades - Ordinance - 26s
Screenshots

Original
Center.jpg

Waterfall.jpg

Door.jpg

Overview1.jpg

Overview2.jpg

Center2.jpg

Update 1
Overview.jpg

Ramp.jpg

Cliff.jpg

Center.jpg

Lift.jpg

Center2.jpg

WaterfallCorrner.jpg

Waterfalls.jpg

Top.jpg

Current

Overview 1.jpg
Overview 2.jpg
Green 1.jpg
Green 2.jpg
Tunnels.jpg
Blue 1.jpg
Blue 2.jpg
Yellow 1.jpg
Yellow 2.jpg
Red.jpg
From Waterfall.jpg
Purple.jpg

I have managed a few games on the map, but more input is always appreciated. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Last edited:

SixteenthMatt

Master
Feb 10, 2013
Major Update
  • Map is now playable. See initial post for download link.
  • Completely reforged the map (again)
  • Opened up outer walls to make it feel more open
  • Added a couple new sight lines
  • Added Spawns
  • Added KOTH, Extraction & Oddball
  • Block usage is a little more consistent
Overall I kept the same general layout. I tweaked most of the outer ring adding more sight lines, height variation, paths, ect. The center room was kept pretty much the same though, but there are a few noticeable differences you may be able to spot in the screenshots. Download and let me know what you think. Thanks

Reactions: Zandril

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
I played the previous iteration of this once or twice back when you submitted it to the 2v2 tournament. It was a little too large for 2s back then and it still looks that way honestly, but I agree that it could probably support a good 4v4 game. That said, the updates looks pretty solid. Cutting out those tight connections between rooms was definitely the biggest step in the right direction.

Reactions: SixteenthMatt

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
I played the map in my lobby today and I have some feedback for you.
  • The map is breakable. In the curvy platform, you can jump from higher ground onto the wall corners and then get over the huge wall that's segmenting the map. I suggest adding an invisible ceiling, replacing the wall corners with something that players can't jump onto, and replacing the soft kill with a hard kill.
  • There were some awkward connections in the map. I suggest replacing the very thin ramp with something wider to promote better movement in the map. There's also a ramp that's way too steep.
  • The very bottom of the map barely gets used. You need to give players motivation to go there. Perhaps a power weapon or reconstruct that area to direct flow through the bottom.
  • Callouts. Needs more callouts.

Reactions: SixteenthMatt

SixteenthMatt

Master
Feb 10, 2013
Zandril, thanks for all the feedback. I also managed to get a game the other day on a modified version of the beta map I posted.

With the version I played with I deleted the lift and replaced it with a ramp that also connected to the lower level. I also removed the wall around the outside near the waterfall as well. Red area was reworked a little too.

No Lift.jpg Red Spawn.jpg

After the game I played on it I change the new ramps a little so there is not a strait path to the top from the waterfall. I noticed people spawning at the bottom, turning and going strait for the top.

No Lift 2.jpg

Good spot on the curvy area being breakable. I forgot I moved the trait zone higher and made the tall wall able to be jumped over. I still need to color the pieces around the map. I prefer to have the layout working before I colors for different areas.

I also wanted to double check to make sure what you meant about the thin and steep ramps.

Small ramp.jpg Steep Ramp.jpg

Are those the two your talking about? I can see where your coming from if you are. Also when you say the bottom of the map do you mean waterfall or the ground near the overshield spawn?

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Yes, those are the ramps I was talking about. Another problem I noticed was that the route that leads to the lift is too long. I suggest shortening it to make that area less of a death zone which it shouldn't be in the first place.

I'll try to play the map again soon to provide more feedback for you.

SixteenthMatt

Master
Feb 10, 2013
Update 2
  • Replaced the lift with a ramp
  • Added more cover to the center
  • Reworked paths through the center
  • Fixed the steep ramp on cliff side
  • Reworked red area a little
  • Oversheild is now speedboost
  • :doublerainbowallthewayacrossthesky:COLORS:doublerainbowallthewayacrossthesky:
  • Other small changes
  • Added more killzones to prevent possible wall jumping
I managed to get a few playtests over the past couple weeks and managed to fix a few problems that I spotted. Hopefully the changes help improve some of the flow around the map. I saw less camping a the top of the map as well as a more flow through the center/ground floor.

I'm still debating with myself on changes to weapon placement around the map. I'm also thinking of a possible alternate weapon set, but I'm not entirely sure which weapons I would use (Rockets, Overshield, Sniper & Sword?) . Suggestions for alternate weapons would be awesome.

Let me know what you think of the changes I've made, and any feedback is always appreciated.