Gaming Battlefield 4 [Discussion + Latest Updates]

Robius5991

Online Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Canada
Intro:
Hey guys, Robius5991 here and I thought it was about time this forum had a dedicated Battlefield 4 thread. I'm not sure how many of my fellow Halo fans are also Battlefield enthusiasts, but since I know quite a few of my friends are constantly on Battlefield 3, I thought it only logical to open up a discussion thread on this awesome upcoming game where I could also post updates on some of the recently released news.

If you haven't been keeping up with Battlefield news, let me first say that I'm a little flabbergasted, and that I highly suggest you head on over to the Battlefield Official Youtube channel and subscribe to them. By doing so, you'll be privy to all of their latest news and awesome videos. However, if you're more of a Twitter or Facebook person, they also offer their services over those sites as well, therefore I'll be sure to link those above.

Anyways, as one last quick note before we get into things, this thread will mainly be concentrating on the details surrounding the upcoming release of this game for the Next-Gen consoles.

What we Know so Far:
Release Dates:
-Battlefield 4 will be released at then end of this year (Between October 29th to November 6th for current-gen consoles, depending on where you live) or sometime in November (Between November 15th to 29th for the PS4 and an undecided date for the Xbox One).

Frostbite 3:
-Battlefield 4 will be using the Frostbite 3 engine, which is the third incarnation of the series' trademark engine which was originally started in 2006. This updated engine will bring out the most realistic experience for players yet!
-One of the first elements they bring up is the seamless reality which offers large gusts of wind blowing trees and waves around while other elements, such as explosions will affect the environment surrounding you.
-The next element to keep in mind is the awesome levels of destructibility, which will be elaborated in the below segment entitled "Levolution".
-However, naval combat will also be enhanced to a whole new level as waves and the gameplay they bring offer a far more realistic experience overall.
-Graphically speaking, the characters will be one of the best looking in any console game, as they are bringing out next-level capturing devices to create some of the most real-looking players in an FPS. Anyways, if you'd like to get some more details on Frostbite 3, I highly suggest you watch this below video:

Campaign:
-As some of you Battlefield fans may know, it is widely considered that the Battlefield 3's story was a little lacking. However, this time around, using the high levels of realism that Frostbite 3 offers, and some much better writing, it appears that this campaign will offer a far more serious and emotionally attachable story.
-From what we've seen so far, predominantly in the gameplay trailers for the game's campaign, not only will the story be better, but it will also offer some far more serious and intense themes. Although not too much has been revealed as to the potential story arks, but the fact that the game will have the involvement of the three factions (Russia, United-States and China) instead of the previous game which featured only 2, it leaves a lot up to the imagination.
-For some details on the campaign and an awesome preview of what's to come, I will direct you all to the 17-minute-long "Fishing in Baku" gameplay trailer.

-However you may also be interested in the shorter "Angry Sea" campaign gameplay video:​

Multiplayer:
-Although this first aspect may not blow-away some of you PC gamers, it has since been revealed that Battlefield 4 will support a 64-player Multiplayer experience! So far, the previous incarnation of the game offered a 24 player cap for the game. When you think about it, that means Battlefield 4 will have 32 players per team, which is more than a full game on Battlefield 3. Absolutely amazing!
-Therefore, because of the above-mentioned fact the maps will be larger and far more interactive and expansive. Once again, Levolution will play a massive role in the multiplayer experience, but I'll elaborate on that below.
-Commander Mode, which will also be elaborated on below, plays an equally important role in this upcoming game's multiplayer.
-As small notes for the multiplayer, 2 new features can be noticed. First of all, in the case of being knifed by an enemy, it appears that you can now, under certain circumstances deflect an assassination and reverse it, thus killing you adversary. Secondly, the guns will now offer a secondary scope, allowing players to have a long-range scope for their selective fire-modes and a reflex or iron sight for close-range encounters.
-For those of you inclined to watch some full-fledged multiplayer gameplay on the newly revealed map "Siege of Shanghai", I will link you a 6 minute segment below:
-And, if naval/large-scale vehicular combat is your cup tea, then do I have the video for you! Check out this trailer of the "Paracel Storm" Multiplayer map!:​
*Levolution:
-Levolution is the new-found concept brought in Battlefield 4 which allows players to completely re-shape a map since everything is destroy-able! Not only does that mean you can blow up part of a small building, but you can take down an entire skyscraper!
-The concept of you affecting the world, and the world affecting you is brought to life with the large variety of ways you can change your playing environment. For example, you can break some kind of railing, and allow yourself a way to reach higher ground, activating road security measures which will block roadways for vehicles, lock down metallic gates to fortify a position or locking people into environments by closing doors. You can also shoot out the lights in a building and truly give yourself the advantage with a thermal scope. Lastly, you may trigger massive game-changing events, such as crashing a huge naval ship into an island, destroying a skyscraper, or blowing up a dam and flooding an entire city district.
-The reverse of this is how the environment affects you. Metal detectors will begin to beep should you walk through them and they are active, while car alarms will go off if you jump on them.
-Ambient changes are when the weather will suddenly begin to change. Heavy winds, rains or other elements may suddenly come into play and begin to affect the map in a way you did not expect.
-It's truly hard to embody the massive affect Levolution will have on Battlefield 4's multiplayer, therefore I will share with you all a great video that truly shows of the nearly limitless possibilities this will add to the game:

**Commander Mode:
-Commander Mode is another new concept brought into Battlefield 4 which will throw one player into the role of his army's commander. This individual will have an overview of the entire battle and will control his team's extra arsenal.
-The assets available to the Commander will reflect how his team is performing overall on the battlefield.
-The Commander will help his team in 3 different ways. First of all he must participate in intel warfare. In this way he is gathering information about the enemy's position while also stopping the enemy's commander from gathering information on his troops. Secondly, he is in charge of providing his team with vehicle and weapon drops, helping them take important strategic points on the battlefield. And lastly, the third way of helping his team is using his offensive assets. He utilizes missiles and other types of vehicular weapons to strike at targets that will be marked to him by his foot-soldiers.
-The Commander will get live feedback on his team during the entirety of the game. Among the list of potential Commander abilities, he may be able to deploy assets to their squads, call in missle strikes, use the AC-130, scan the map for objectives, use EMPs against enemy vehicles, utilize UAVs and sharing Cruise Missile Warnings to let their squad escape in time. In addition, you can mark high value targets (such as enemies who are on high kill streaks) which will give players bonuses for killing the marked enemy.
-The Last interesting thing is that Commander Mode can also be played on a tablet, on the console or on PC. It truly offers an awesome new way for players to immerse themselves into the battlefield experience.
-All additional details are in the video below:

***Gametypes:
-Obliteration is the newly announced gametype which will be included in Battlefield 4. Basically, this gametype is a neutral-bomb objective gametype where 2 teams must work against each other to locate randomly spawning bombs and bring them to three distinct bases. Once at the base, you must arm the bomb and defend it until it detonates. Overall, it appears to be an amazingly chaotic, team-oriented experience. - Current Info courtesy of IGN -
Premium Edition:
-As was seen in Battlefield 3, DICE will once again be offering their players the option to enter the Premium Experience of Battlefield 4.​
-Basically, what this means is that you'll receive early access to a variety of things. This includes day 1 access to weekly updates, early access to all the new game modes, weapons, vehicles and all 5 expansion packs. Therefore you will access to all of these elements 2 weeks in advance.​
-Premium will also include 12 Battlepacks and Priority server queues.​
-The 5 DLC Map Packs will be as follows:​
*China Rising: Offers maps featuring the majestic Chinese Mainland.​
**Second Assault: 4 fan-favorite Battlefield 3 maps will return, using the Frostbite 3 engine.​
***Naval Strike: Showcases a variety of awesome naval combat oriented maps.​
****Dragon's Teeth: Features United-States based urban maps.​
*****Final Stand: Will bring about the end of the of the war.​
-All important Premium Details Below:​
Updates Following this Original Post (August 22nd 2013):
-August 23rd 2013 Update - Gametypes Category + Obliteration added.
-September 6th 2013 Update - Commander Mode Information added
Anyways guys, thank you all so much for reading this thread! Please, share your thoughts on Battlfield 4 with me. If I notice some more comments here, I'll elaborate on my thoughts on the game, although I believe that this thread speaks for itself.​
Also, I'll try to post updates on new videos and info released here, however, if any of you notice that I missed anything either now, or in the future, please leave a comment and I can try to add it to this thread.​

Robius5991

Online Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Canada
im glad that the next gen-consoles will support up to 64 players on BF4, because battlefield is such a BIG and EPIC game, that its best enjoyed with lots of players(unlike call of duty)
I know, 64 players is going to be nuts! Finally the console gameplay will be on an obscenely large scale! I can't wait for this epicness.

Battlefield will finally be worth playing on console yay :pusheen:
I already liked it as it was, but now it's going to be far far better.

Wait, how does one get to be commander? I wish I could do that every single game.

I don't think it's been fully explained yet, but I assume that if you're on your tablet/computer it should probably automatically put you in that position, as opposed to being on the console. So yeah, I assume that non-console player will have priority. (But this is just speculation, not fact)

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
The thing is, I'll get bored of multiplayer eventually. They should have added something else- some kinda survival mode or split-screen or something. When I get sick of Halo's matchmaking, I can play spartan ops, set up a custom game, go into forge, play through a campaign mission again, or even hop into theater and view some saved clips. In Battlefield, the only alternative to online multiplayer is the campaign, which has little replay value, so once I start to get tired of multiplayer, I'm done for the day. I can't even play it with my brother, so when he gets to the xbox first I'm stuck waiting three or four hours until he's done.

I'm afraid that this will also be the case with Battlefield 4.

Robius5991

Online Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Canada
finally we save money instead of spending on $1,000 PCs(and spending $400 on upgrades every month)
Indeed, however the Next Gen consoles aren't exactly cheap... Either way though, I can't wait to play this kind of a game on my tv.

The thing is, I'll get bored of multiplayer eventually. They should have added something else- some kinda survival mode or split-screen or something. When I get sick of Halo's matchmaking, I can play spartan ops, set up a custom game, go into forge, play through a campaign mission again, or even hop into theater and view some saved clips. In Battlefield, the only alternative to online multiplayer is the campaign, which has little replay value, so once I start to get tired of multiplayer, I'm done for the day. I can't even play it with my brother, so when he gets to the xbox first I'm stuck waiting three or four hours until he's done.

I can see how this point may apply to some people when talking about Battlefield 3. Personally, with all the dlc, I never get bored on Battlefield 3, but it's completely subjective. Anyways, I can see what you mean, and some kind of map-maker would be amazing to see in future Battlefield games, but they've never even spoken doing anything like this yet, so for now it's just a pipe-dream. However, I think Levolution alone will make Battlefield 4 a lot more playable then its predecessor. The fact that you can keep playing the same map and have it play completely different so many times is really exciting! Anyways, it'll be something that we'll have to see for ourselves once it comes out.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions though. I'm glad to see the discussion starting here.

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
...I never get bored on Battlefield 3, but it's completely subjective.
My brother never got bored either. He's been obsessed with the game since the moment he first played it almost two years ago. As hard as I try to find something that he would find more fun than Battlefield, like getting with friends and playing some amazing customs on Halo- Battlefield is still, by far, his favorite game to this day. Personally I don't see how one can play for several hours every day and never get sick of it, but I guess it is subjective.

I used to play all the time until Halo 4 came out. I still play every once and a while, but H4 is my primary game.

My brother never got bored either. He's been obsessed with the game since the moment he first played it almost two years ago. As hard as I try to find something that he would find more fun than Battlefield, like getting with friends and playing some amazing customs on Halo- Battlefield is still, by far, his favorite game to this day. Personally I don't see how one can play for several hours every day and never get sick of it, but I guess it is subjective.

I used to play all the time until Halo 4 came out. I still play every once and a while, but H4 is my primary game.
i never got bored of BF3, i kept playing it since its release until i played every expansion pack and unlocked everything

Reactions: Robius5991

Robius5991

Online Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Canada
i never got bored of BF3, i kept playing it since its release until i played every expansion pack and unlocked everything

I didn't get the game until the premium edition came out, and I was very impressed by the expansion packs for BF3, but I've got to say that all 5 new expansions for Battlefield 4 look spectacular. I love that they're somewhat following the theme that they brought up in BF3, basically concentrating a few maps on diverse combat terrains. Naval Strike and Dragon's Teeth look like two awesome, opposite map packs, one featuring naval warfare and the other urban warfare. Oh, and I'm also curious to see which maps from BF3 will make a return in Second Assault. Anyways, all that to say that since I haven't gotten bored of BF3 yet, I highly doubt I will lose interest in Battlefield 4, especially if I get Premium.

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
Robius, do you know anything about that new 'bomb' gametype?

Also, I think Battlefield needs to work on their vehicle destruction. Halo did a great job with this. As vehicles get damaged, you can easily tell- they visibly break down, pieces fall off, they set fire- you can clearly see the damage being done to it (you don't even need a health bar). In Battlefield, they just add some smoke and fire as the health bar gets lower- it doesn't really fall apart like it would in Halo. From what I'm seeing in these videos, the BF4 vehicles won't be much better in this.

Reactions: Robius5991

Robius5991

Online Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Canada
funnies anyone?

Lol, I love Battlefield Friends. And this actually bring up a good note. Do you guys think they should transition the series over to Battlefield 4? Personally that's a big yes for me, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Also (While on the topic of the stingers and the USAS-12 + Frags), since I plan on getting Premium, it'll be exciting to see how the DICE handles the balancing of their weapons in this game. I'm really looking forward to the weekly updates which will hopefully aid in improving the game from the get-go. Do you guys think you'll be getting Premium aswell?

Lol, I love Battlefield Friends. And this actually bring up a good note. Do you guys think they should transition the series over to Battlefield 4? Personally that's a big yes for me, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Also (While on the topic of the stingers and the USAS-12 + Frags), since I plan on getting Premium, it'll be exciting to see how the DICE handles the balancing of their weapons in this game. I'm really looking forward to the weekly updates which will hopefully aid in improving the game from the get-go. Do you guys think you'll be getting Premium aswell?
yes BFF should transition the series to BF4, but they probably need new characters, and yeah i recommend that you get Premium because you get early access, extra camo, and exclusive content

Robius5991

Online Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Canada
yes BFF should transition the series to BF4, but they probably need new characters, and yeah i recommend that you get Premium because you get early access, extra camo, and exclusive content

That's a very good point. I imagine there will be new character models for each class set, and when you consider that there are 3 factions now (United-States, Russia and Chine) they might have the opportunity to create all new kinds of comedy. Also, just the general improvements across the board on Battlefield will mean that they should have no lack of content for keeping their awesome and hilarious series going for quite some time. In fact, I really hope they do since it's such a fun and unique Battlefield-based show, since they take the time to animate this little episodes and I find that the work they put into them truly makes them for enjoyable then the average Battlefield series.

That's a very good point. I imagine there will be new character models for each class set, and when you consider that there are 3 factions now (United-States, Russia and Chine) they might have the opportunity to create all new kinds of comedy. Also, just the general improvements across the board on Battlefield will mean that they should have no lack of content for keeping their awesome and hilarious series going for quite some time. In fact, I really hope they do since it's such a fun and unique Battlefield-based show, since they take the time to animate this little episodes and I find that the work they put into them truly makes them for enjoyable then the average Battlefield series.
in battlefield 1942 you can pilot battleships and submarines and i wish they would bring stuff like that back:)