Competitive Awaloa

Jan 29, 2013
Awaloa (version 8) - Burial Grounds of the Chiefs

Awaloa, Hawaiian for "burial grounds of the chiefs", is a 4v4 map set on an island in Erosion's under ground lake.

Awaloa boasts a Narrows-esq appearing bridge and underpass coupled with an ancient temple wall and court yard. The map is fully symmetrical in layout to support CTF and Ricochet. Slayer, KOTH, and Extraction utilize dynamic spawning.

This map is my second Halo 4 map specifically centered around segmenting the map using a wall like structure...

Read more about this map...

Reactions: Elliot

Debonair

Proficient
Jul 20, 2013
I saw this on BE. I do really like curves and this map style (your style) can be recognized also on Hekau. You usually tend to build a really cool structure that connect red and blue bases (the curved bridge on hekau and the narrowish bridge here) and to put a circular structure on a side of the bridge. But IMO the rest of the map (bases included) looks too oversimplified and flat (just like on Hekau). I'm not saying that these maps are bad, but I usually prefer to see some complexity on maps (and this is something that I rarely saw on Halo 4, just look at Haven).

Anyways I do really like to see a gameplay on this!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2013
@Debonair - that is interesting feedback. I understand what you are saying and you got me wondering how I could make the bases more complicated and interesting. I think the court yard is fine but the other side could be improved perhaps.

Debonair

Proficient
Jul 20, 2013
@mrgreenwithagun

Well the first thing I noticed is that there are no high spots on bases. Look at Narrows or Facing Worlds from UT. They are both narrowish maps and they both have high spots to contrast top mid. The center of your map is probably too dominant.

Why don't you create some little buildings just like on Beaver creek? This could help to provide more cover and high spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrgreenwithagun
Jan 29, 2013
Version 11 is on my FS, it is a complete rebuild. Along the way, I created better looking walls in front of the bases, expanded the bases in size, made the bases relatively deeper than before, added detail to the bases with vertical bars that one can get up onto that are the height of the top mid, added a cubby in the wall (to add complexity, howbeit small) that one can camp in to protect the flag, and generally strived to make the bases more protective at spawn while encouraging pushing into enemy bases by blocking nearly every sight line into the bases. In test play, it was recommended that I include snipers, and their spawns are in view of each other so that if you stand where one sniper spawns at, you can see if the other sniper is taken. But the sight line is very very narrow. Added more spawns, but plan to work more on the spawns in days to come.

(still getting the hang of this map show casing site, didn't realize updating the map info would have generated a post here also...)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2013
mrgreenwithagun updated Awaloa with a new update entry:

Awaloa

Rebuilt, new flooring reducing some of the terra-forming slant, made courtyard a little bigger, made bases deeper and more protected from top mid sight lines to encourage pushing into the bases, added more spawns, need to work on spawning more in the center structure, added vertical bars to stand on at top mid level height from deep inside the bases, added snipers, more to come, suggestions welcomed...

Read the rest of this update entry...