Competitive Avarice

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
Can't say much about the layout or gameplay yet, but that is an awesome middle structure with the orange glowing through.

Reactions: rayner

xtoungexlovex

Qualified
Sep 2, 2013
In our play test my first impression was wow this is unique.

I never seen anything like this in forge and the theme really sets it apart from others.

At first the layout was a bit confusing but it wasn't long before I got it down.

Everything fit together nicely and the bottom areas around the lava reminded me of the swbf2 map where Anakin and obi-wan duel in ep 3

its a tad large for 1v1 tho and I wasn't a fan of some of your peice usage (tower tall, sniper nest, and a few others). You never want to use buildings that Dont fit because a railing is in the way and just put ramps on either side. Your better off making your own tower/staircase.

There were exploitable areas out of the map and a hole where I got stuck :p all of which are easy fixes.

Also there is some lazy cove that removing would lessen clutter and free up budget. Remember cover should be multi purpose. Players should be able to use it to jump to higher areas, as a platform to gain line of sight, or be part of the structure like a support beam. If it doesn't fit those then it should probably be removed.

That's all I got for now and I look forward to seeing later versions. Like you said its the first build and I'm sure there will be massive improvements :)

Reactions: rayner

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
I haven't played the map so I can not tell you about gameplay at least not yet but I was immediately impressed with the aesthetics. Really good work with the maps initial appearance it got my attention long enough for me to look through your post. I think you have a really strong theme for your map. Is this your first version? I think you should continue to develop this whole huge furnace idea and see what other map variations you can build around it. From screenshots I am concerned about how that map would play just from the pieces used. I almost NEVER see premade buildings used well and ramp bridges can be awkward with lots of railings and pieces poking out making movement sometimes difficult but this is just judging from screenshots. In a nice way I don't care how this versions plays because I think you are on to a really cool idea that would certainly stand out and I would urge you to keep making versions of this map until you get something really perfect. I cant stress this enough but the damn furnace theme is awesome keep it up!

Thank you for all the feedback! This is the first version, and I am going to update it very soon.

Basically, I'm going to fix blue base, as I think it looks messy, as well as the bottom flooring of the map which is messy as well. There was a grenade drop outside the map that I have to delete, and the jump up to the walkway, large vantage point doesn't look aesthetically pleasing yet, and the 5/5 flats near the main furnace look out of place so I'll have to change those. I'm also going to add pulse grenades to the drop-down from the zig-zag tunnel and there is a pipe that extends to the bottom of the map that seems out of place while you are at the bottom of the map, but not when you are on top, so I'll either remove it or connect it to the wall beside it. I'll probably make some other minor changes if i spot anything else. I'm going to add a block and a ramp inside the tower to eliminate the railing. I am also going to change the sniper nest staircase... I know it looks a bit weird. I currently have no plans to change the layout and these changes are mostly towards aesthetics; I still would like advice on layout and other things to fix any gameplay issues or broken flow in the map.

I'm going to be making a 1v1 and 2v2 version, in which the 2v2 version will have the assault rifle changed with a sniper(and also pushed slightly towards red base) and the autosentry with a speed boost.

Just some clarifications-

-xtoungexlovex, can you tell me where the lazy cover is?
-the exploitable areas as well, other than the hole you fell into
I think, with the edit, the tower 2-storey will work fine, but that's just me. :)
Pa1nts and sgt x slaphead, could you take a look at the map in forge? Thanks!

Reactions: xtoungexlovex

xtoungexlovex

Qualified
Sep 2, 2013
Next time I catch u online I'll try and show u and the area that I was sort of out of the map on the cylinder XL near the grav lift

rayner updated Furnace with a new update entry:

2v2 version, and link to updated 1v1 version.

This new version is the 2v2 version of furnace.

You can now jump up from the end of the zigzag tunnel up to the walkway vantage point. All the holes, lazy cover, and exploitable areas that I know of have been fixed.

Furnace 2v2 (download via the "download now link")

The assault rifle at red/blue tunnel has been changed into a sniper and the autos entry into a speed boost.

Furnace 1v1:

Link:...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Edit: I am now aware that the gravity volumes do not always stop you from going up onto the platform, L and the cylinder next to the main furnace. I have placed a soft kill zone and a kill zone there, but I will not update the link yet, It's pointless to update just because of the placing of 2 kill zones...

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
Not that its something you have to do since boundaries could work fine but It might be worth considering any ways of designing these areas in such a way that players can reach them with no boundaries without the positions being overpowered and an issue.
If a player were to stand in one of these spots you want boundary in would it be a bad thing? Or is it an absolute no because its only accessible by jetpack or something like that?
What if these boundaries became awesome opportunities for a bit of crazy parkour? It depends what works but always consider the alternatives.

Now I realize the back path was not used very much, (except by me) probably because the entrance was very tight and there was already a small shortcut below the furnace. I'll remove the small shortcut and widen up the entrance.

This is what I am going to change in the next update (for now)

I'm going to replace the gravity lift with a ramp. This will open up the entrance to the back path and since the start of the ramp will start from the back path, this path will be used more often. I will also widen the path.

I'm going to add a pathway from the end of the tunnel up to the tower. This pathway start from a bend replacing the end wall of the zigzag tunnel, curve around the secondary furnace, and end on a platform atop the 2 pipes sticking out from the lava pit. Then there will be a block, 5/1 there connecting this platform to the tower. This will make the routes of the map a complete circle, unlike before, where is was C-shaped. I hope this will improve the flow of the map.. After all, it is loosely based off adrift, so it should have the same circular flow. I will also edit the tac jump to the walkway so that it is much more visible.

Also, at the end of the tunnel, you can only move down or back, so adding a route from there to the sticky detonator spawn could open movement there.

I will add a corner 4/4 to the walkway to create sort of a balcony to shoot from. Since there is a railing, there will be a small incline to allow players to go up. This will make the walkway more prominent as a power position.

The upper hallway is too long; I will bend it so that there is no direct sight line to the other side of the tunnel, but you still only can move forward or back to keep the risk versus reward.

rayner updated Furnace with a new update entry:

Avarice- Reforge of furnace

Partial Reforge, Incomplete; renamed 'avarice'

Zigzag tunnel has been largely changed, now including a ramp up to the main power position of the map. Red spawn has been moved to the revamped back path, which now features more movement options and an upper and lower path; the lower path is more dangerous but has a BR and a boltshot available there and is wider. sniper tunnel has been changed to sniper 'alley', without a roof, and there is an alternate route to the back path from there; an...

Read the rest of this update entry...

For now, In my opinion, the bottom of the map is quite separated from the top of the map, and acts much like the 'basements' in many competitive maps (like solace, for example) and that's not what I intended. Therefore, in the next update, I'm going to have to open up the bottom of the map. please leave suggestions if you can on how to do this, because I 'm not so sure how. thanks! :)