Core Ancestor

D4rkDeath

Proficient
Feb 20, 2016
Ancestor (version 1.0) - A BTB map inspired by the Halo CE and Halo 3 Control Room.

*Magnum and Assault Rifle Starts*

*This map is for the upcoming 'Meet Your Maker' BTB Magnum starts competition* http://halocustoms.com/threads/meet-your-maker-btb-forge-contest.22806/

TLDR: Ancestor is a Big Team Battle map inspired by the Halo 3 and Halo:Combat Evolved Control room. The area the bases are located in have some inspiration from the Halo 2 map Waterworks. Ancestor has sort of a tug of war feel at times with its map design. The map plays excellently for...

Read more about this map...

Reactions: SoldatDuChrist

D4rkDeath

Proficient
Feb 20, 2016
D4rkDeath updated Ancestor with a new update entry:

Big room changes, lighting fixes, aesthetics

After many play tests and lots of great feedback, we decided to change the large room quite a bit. It provided way too much of a safe route for infantry in CTF and overall the map needed to shrink a bit. The big room also kind of broke the theme with an acid pit and separated players from the rest of the map too much. This change also fixed all of the small frame chug issues on the map.

- Changes to large central room, now more of a continued tunnel.

- Lighting added inside the bases and...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Hey guys! I just wanted to drop by and, first of all, to commend you both on the effort you've put into this map. It's very well polished and is an all-around impressive example of what can be achieved in Forge. We tested this map out this evening if you're interested in hearing some feedback and seeing some gameplay from players in the lobby. Most of it is stream of consciousness, but I think there are some solid nuggets of feedbacl to take away from it. We begin the game on this map at about 2:00:20 in the stream linked below.

D4rkDeath

Proficient
Feb 20, 2016
Hey guys! I just wanted to drop by and, first of all, to commend you both on the effort you've put into this map. It's very well polished and is an all-around impressive example of what can be achieved in Forge. We tested this map out this evening if you're interested in hearing some feedback and seeing some gameplay from players in the lobby. Most of it is stream of consciousness, but I think there are some solid nuggets of feedbacl to take away from it. We begin the game on this map at about 2:00:20 in the stream linked below.

Thank you Duck for letting me see this, I showed it to weeeeemann and we have had a few discussions concerning the map. Let me first talk about the desired game play. This map is inspired by big maps such as Altar, Sandtrap, Viking, Waterworks, Sidewinder, etc. I love Halo 5 and I have enjoyed some of the old school feel that 343 has brought back to us. Our mission, is to do justice to that. Ancestor's game play is meant to be more of a tug of war style with some options. The semi protected bunker bases are thought up on a sidewinder type feel by having them somewhat separated. This map has gone through many redesigns and 15+ personal playtests with also being in quite a few other playtest lobbies as well. I must say I was a little surprised some people thought the map was too big. I have gone into every map currently in matchmaking and have done my own version of extensive measuring each map, and setting up a sheet that shows how many vehicles, spawns, weapons, etc. in each map in order to try to get a stronger understanding and feel for the map. Ancestor (in my measuring and outlook) is currently smaller than Viking, Altar, and Deadlock. Though a few decisions we made with the map may have tightened some paths in comparison to the bigger open maps that I mentioned previously. Ancestor's pacing is not as fast as Eagle Square, Boulevard, and a few others in matchmaking, but more closely an attempt to capture the medium to fast gameplay that is offered in Viking and Altar.

My perspective of what I see the community asking for when I look around at the different sites and forums leans towards more vehicle gameplay in BTB, so we set out to give that a go. The design of the map has seen many upscales, downscales, facelifts, redesigns, and well over 150 hours of work from weeeeemann and I each. We had a decent start, but knew the direction of the map needed to change and we had too much on the map originally. We have received such a positive response for making a map based on such an iconic structure in the Halo universe! We have really looked at all feedback and watched our testing videos over and over.

I appreciate the feedback and I have a back up map where I will be playing around with a few ideas that I caught out of the video, definitely some solid "nuggets" of feedback as you put it. I can see some of it for sure, I respect quite a few people that were in that lobby and again I will be looking at a few comments I caught. As far as the size, I did see that you guys started with 15 people and ended at some point with 14. I guess despite my fear of saying this, I do challenge you and the guys to give it another go. :)I watched the feed a few times and was very happy with what I saw, the medium fast pace that I wanted to achieve. However, the more we have playtested the map, the more I am finding CTF to be the weak link now. Slayer feels a bit faster and usually ends in under 8-10 minutes and Strongholds is similar to that with fair teams.

We are looking at a few things to tweak this map and I would enjoy any more feedback. Some things we are looking at would be:
-Cleaning up the cave area from the bases to the Control Room just a bit so that is a little more clean, but still hosts a solid route that will be somewhat safe from being pinned down by a strong team holding the Control Room structure.
-Adding a Mongoose for each side which will give players another option to get around the map a bit faster and make CTF have a needed additional option.
-Taking another look at the weapon layout for anti vehicle. Though the map does host a Spartan Laser, 2 pairs of Splinter grenades, a Splinter Turret (detached), 2 attatched plasma turrets, 2 Plasma Pistols, Hydra Launcher, and the fun Gravity Hammer. We have had mostly positive feedback for the weapon balance, but are still trying to watch our play tests for anything that seems too powerful, not powerful enough, or just irregular.
-Spawning was all but removed from the middle structure at one point, but we might add a bit so the spawning isn't so base heavy, there are currently only 2 spawns on the middle structure, a few outside of it, and many at the bases.

As far as the size of the map, again we feel we did capture that larger scale feel, but I am still open to the idea of small modifications, but I think the mongoose and possibly another man cannon placed well could help, but I want to see it just with the mongoose first. Ancestor to us is more than just what we hope is a good map. Ancestor to us(me for sure) is the embodiment of Halo 1-5, honoring some of the larger maps that I loved and miss to promote that old school feeling with a new school blend. It is even in the art direction as we have attempted to cleanly blend the different Forerunner styles used over the history of the game. When people load the map for the first time, they usually try to point out whether or not it is the Halo 1 or Halo 3 control room, but the answer is... just yes. There were many control rooms. In conclusion, my hope for Ancestor and my overall feeling of the map is that it does recapture the larger maps of old, with new elements brought in with H5, and to create an experience that is mostly different every time you load up the map! I have tested this with BR starts as well, but I must say by doing this map for the MYM contest and doing a lot of playtests that require mag/ar starts, I love how the magnum plays on this map and some of the others that I am recognizing for the contest. This has been an exciting experience for us! Thank you for this information and I appreciate you reaching out to us! If you have any suggestions yet, I am all ears! I do want Ancestor to be the best it can be.

D4rkDeath

Proficient
Feb 20, 2016

Downscaling, new terrain, etc.

After receiving a lot of feedback while putting Ancestor through the lobby ringer, overall the map was just too large, the bases were too far away, the man cannon was out of the way and some areas were cool in concept, but they did not pan out. This was a massive update, here are the details.

-The outer route to the bridge on both sides has been removed from the map. This route was good for vehicles, but infantry had too hard of a time getting to the man cannon.

-The bases were too "tucked...

D4rkDeath

Proficient
Feb 20, 2016

So after watching the feedback from the stream, we did decide to do a lot of the suggestions after all. Check out our update! I feel like we nailed a lot of the feedback that was thrown our way and our test lobby seemed very pleased! After the changes, I feel I preserved some of the elements I really enjoyed and the downscaling of the map, with all the changes Ancestor still holds the fun vehicle BTB that I envisioned, but better. Thank you again for the feedback from that stream! After the changes, Strongholds seems to be the best gametype for this map, I hope you try Ancestor out again in your lobby!

Reactions: Psychoduck

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Hello again! Sorry for not responding to this thread after last time; I have been very busy.

I wanted to drop by one interesting bit of feedback that came up in testing last week for you guys to consider. The Wraiths' mortars are somewhat effective at countering opponents atop the central pyramid, but their effectiveness is quite limited there and the spawn placement of the Banshee further limits their utility at countering this position. Spawning the only aerial vehicle on the map at the top of the spire seems an odd choice as aerial vehicles will offer the most utility at countering players on this structure. Rather, spawning aerial vehicles such as Wasps at the bases would give teams a much better opportunity to counter the central structure and would eliminate the snowball effect that can occur when one team locks down this structure and maintains access to the Banshee spawn.

Just some food for thought. We'll be playing this again tomorrow and I'll be sure to get back to you with any final feedback before the contest deadline next weekend.

D4rkDeath

Proficient
Feb 20, 2016
Hello again! Sorry for not responding to this thread after last time; I have been very busy.

I wanted to drop by one interesting bit of feedback that came up in testing last week for you guys to consider. The Wraiths' mortars are somewhat effective at countering opponents atop the central pyramid, but their effectiveness is quite limited there and the spawn placement of the Banshee further limits their utility at countering this position. Spawning the only aerial vehicle on the map at the top of the spire seems an odd choice as aerial vehicles will offer the most utility at countering players on this structure. Rather, spawning aerial vehicles such as Wasps at the bases would give teams a much better opportunity to counter the central structure and would eliminate the snowball effect that can occur when one team locks down this structure and maintains access to the Banshee spawn.

Just some food for thought. We'll be playing this again tomorrow and I'll be sure to get back to you with any final feedback before the contest deadline next weekend.

We have tried the wasps actually. Unfortunately there are some frame rate issues when using the wasps and they seem to just "drop like flies" anyway. In all honesty, the idea behind the map was to try to control the structure of course. When the banshee was considered, each base has a plasma pistol with a lot of air room to get it down quick, plus a lot of anti vehicle options. The vehicles selected were also to go with the theme that the map represented. I can see your point, but when we tried wasps, the frames were an issue for some reason, maybe due to the strafing of the wasp. I have considered taking the banshee off for CTF and Strongholds, but keeping it for Team Slayer. I definitely appreciate your feedback! It has been a big help and it has made me rethink a lot of stuff, feel free to try a version with wasps, but again I found them to be very weak and the frames of course.

D4rkDeath

Proficient
Feb 20, 2016

I had thought of putting the Spartan Laser up where OS is, making a small platform on the bridge for the banshee, and putting the OS up top where the banshee platform currently is. The map has gained a following and I have been overwhelmed with the responses, but I definitely want to hear from you. I have watched the feeds and had changed a lot of what you and the other guys thought were problems, hit me back!

(I tried wasps again, I can't seem to make them work without the map framing.)

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I had thought of putting the Spartan Laser up where OS is, making a small platform on the bridge for the banshee, and putting the OS up top where the banshee platform currently is. The map has gained a following and I have been overwhelmed with the responses, but I definitely want to hear from you. I have watched the feeds and had changed a lot of what you and the other guys thought were problems, hit me back!

(I tried wasps again, I can't seem to make them work without the map framing.)
Unfortunately, I can't share any further feedback on the map until the Meet Your Maker contest is wrapped up, but I'll be sure to do so afterwards.

Also, you're not the only ones dealing with performance issues. The June update changed how far away and how detailed some objects are rendred, and that's caused issues for a lot of forgers. Hopefully this will be improved in a future update.

Reactions: D4rkDeath

D4rkDeath

Proficient
Feb 20, 2016

Banshee Change, moved weapons, added spawning.

After collecting more and more feedback since the release of Ancestor, there was one piece of feedback that has remained consistent. The Banshee being on the top allowed whomever was controlling the top a reward with one of the strongest vehicles on the map, making it difficult for the losing team to make a comeback, especially in Strongholds. If you had your team Stronghold and the top mid Stronghold, you shouldn't be rewarded with the Banshee. The Banshee has now been moved to its brand...

D4rkDeath

Proficient
Feb 20, 2016

Looking back at this, I am hoping I did justice to the map by this last update! The Banshee is no longer up top, check out our latest update!

D4rkDeath

Proficient
Feb 20, 2016

Asked changes

So in preparation for something in the future, the powers that be have asked for some changes. These are some of the changes made.

*The Bridge has been moved further out towards the water and the area in front of the control room is now more vehicle friendly. Some rocks were removed to provide better vehicle pathing and a cleaner route, but also keeping a bit of cover.

*The soft kill boundary has been raised higher and is more predictable.

*The bases have been reworked allowing a higher...

D4rkDeath

Proficient
Feb 20, 2016

Large Update

This update is quite large:

All of the terrain has been reworked and raised up, you can now run up to the first layer of the main structure and some solid infantry routes were created due to the fields at times feeling too dangerous. There is now a good amount of cover out in the fields.

The Bridge has been rebuilt, inspired by the Narrows bridge from Halo 3. There is a lower section of the bridge that connects with the room in bottom mid, while the top of the bridge still hosts the...