Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Never have.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
I would insert an appropriately funny and relevant image to the topic.
But who has time for that. Sh*t, who has time.
TIME FOR
ANYTHING.

As the reader may already have caught onto through A. the INACTIVITY signs all over my profile, B. You haven't seen me much on here and C. I'm typing a distressful message, I'm suffering from...

ACADEMIC OVERLOAD

As the year has progressed, I have this situation:

1. I only work 8 hours a week at minimum wage
  2. Do not play video games, if only ever so rarely.
  3. Manage to eat, drink, and sleep a not-so-healthy 4-6 hours per night
  4. Cannot get everything done
Now you might be saying, "What do you classify as overload? It can be stressful but it's not that bad..." Well good sir, madam, or ethereal being, I may explain that there's just not enough time for what I have to do every week.
Commitments:
  • Mon-Friday: High School for 3 hours/day = 15 hours
  • Tuesday and Thursday: Afternoon and Evening Classes for 9 hours/day, includes breaks and driving time = 18 hours
  • Work = 8 hours
Homework/Study:
  • 8 - 10 hours African-American Literature
  • 8 - 10 hours Calculus
  • 5 hours AP Spanish
  • 3 hours AP Government
  • Screw O-Chem, I don't need to study for that sh*t
There's only 168 hours in a week. Technically 2:00 AM - 8:00 AM are "inactive", so that leaves 126 hours. Factor in an hour lunch and dinner every day, now we're at 112. Add up deductions:

15+18+10+10+5+3+8 = 69
112 - 69 = 43
43 / 7 = 6.14

So every day I have around 6.14 hours time to maybe catch a healthy amount of sleep, take a nap, check up on my Internet contacts, go to Church, visit my grandma, get tutoring, etc.

Why do I still feel like this is overload? Maybe I'm crazy, how should I know. I'm trying to schedule everything on Google Calendar, but life decides to mess that up. You know what they say: we plan, God laughs.

A lot of you guys have already gone through this. Do you have any suggestions?
And there's plenty of us who are still going through it. Want to vent? Please do!

Fuzzle

Wuschelig
Jan 10, 2013
Under the Traveler
Im currently doing not enough for university, im slacking and that leaves me soon in a dire situation... I dont have experienced this yet but i think ill get there... I dont work anymore, i did that while doing my abitur, but my lazy ass is not able to do thechores im supposed to do.. I hope i can get some advice too before i hit a point of no returm

Reactions: RogerDodger

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
I don't know what to tell you, Zero. I've never experienced anything like what you just described. Which is weird because I'm fucking lazy most of the time. I work hard from time to time but in no way am I a super responsible guy.

All I can say to you is...good luck. I'm sure this line is already burned into everyone's minds but don't give up. The most successful people in this world are those who've been tested. Excessively.

There's a silver lining in there...somewhere.

I hope you fix your problems soon. You've been missed on the Halo scene.

Wanted to post this at first but I figured I should be a little more serious. :p

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29589-1376496305-0.gif

Dax

o/
Jan 12, 2013
Ahhh, zero. I can definitely understand where you're coming from - I've gone through this quite a few times, one of those times being this semester. Honestly, between school and the many other things demanding my attention, I've had little to no time to just sit and relax for awhile. Really the only suggestion I can give is to just keep on working hard - in the end it'll definitely pay off. But if you feel like you really need to focus mostly on school, why not take a break from your job? I'm sure your boss would totally understand. Also, don't let it stress you out too much and get overwhelmed, as that typically only makes things worse. :p

Good luck buddy. I believe in you! o/

Sort of an overload but not really? Not sure if this classifies but I have to complete a lab report, a 6 page packet, read 60+ pages and annotate and be ready for 2-4 tests next week. The lab due Monday (havent started it) the packets due Thursday (started it) the tests are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. The book i have read like 10 pages of... So I have a lot to do in less than a weeks time and I've barely started any of it. Right now im winging the packet to do the lab and the reading this weekend.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
The book i have read like 10 pages of... So I have a lot to do in less than a weeks time and I've barely started any of it. Right now im winging the packet to do the lab and the reading this weekend.

Similar situation here. I have a Literature project due Sunday evening and it's Saturday afternoon. We need to read a novel (mine's 80 pages of small print), then write a 4-5 page essay on it. The essay is not only our review of the work, but also must include commentary from other scholars who have reviewed it themselves. So yeah, feeling a bit stressed here, too.

Here's how I plan on doing it all:
1. Don't feel comfortable. Wear your shoes and normal clothes, mint gum or candy also helps focus. Sit on a hard chair and do work on a hard table. Remove distractions and have plenty of light. This is how the normal learning environment is, and it says to your body "concentrate".
2. Drink frequently, but don't binge on caffeine. The later will make you pee and you'll get dehydrated. Eat regularly, but not in excess or deprivation. You don't want anything out of tune.
3. Accomplish small goals frequently. One wouldn't like to shove an entire steak down their throat, but rather would cut it up. Even if you're procrastinating towards a deadline, "cutting it up" still makes it seem like you're getting more done, which will motivate you to get it all done.

Similar situation here. I have a Literature project due Sunday evening and it's Saturday afternoon. We need to read a novel (mine's 80 pages of small print), then write a 4-5 page essay on it. The essay is not only our review of the work, but also must include commentary from other scholars who have reviewed it themselves. So yeah, feeling a bit stressed here, too.

Here's how I plan on doing it all:
1. Don't feel comfortable. Wear your shoes and normal clothes, mint gum or candy also helps focus. Sit on a hard chair and do work on a hard table. Remove distractions and have plenty of light. This is how the normal learning environment is, and it says to your body "concentrate".
2. Drink frequently, but don't binge on caffeine. The later will make you pee and you'll get dehydrated. Eat regularly, but not in excess or deprivation. You don't want anything out of tune.
3. Accomplish small goals frequently. One wouldn't like to shove an entire steak down their throat, but rather would cut it up. Even if you're procrastinating towards a deadline, "cutting it up" still makes it seem like you're getting more done, which will motivate you to get it all done.
We do things very much opposite of each other. I make myself comfortable and messy where i sit. It helps me think and i work faster that way. I do all of one assignment in one go. That way i know im focused and accomplishing everything i need to and my thought process isn't interrupted at all. Eventually when I'm almost done with it i like to get my food and drink then because it will help me get to the end without feeling out of tune. I work incredibly hard to finish stuff in one go.

Dax

o/
Jan 12, 2013
That's a pretty big generalization, Grmn. Firstly, it's probably best to define smartness and intelligence. These are very broad terms that encompass several factors. To me, intelligence and memorization aren't completely separate ideas; I see memorization as just one of many key factors that comprise one's intelligence. Just as one's ability to actually understand concepts, memorization also plays a role in determining intelligence.

Now, relating that to school. It's good that you have the ability to memorize formulas and whatnot, but that only gets you so far, trust me. Sooner or later, you won't be able to depend solely on your memorization (will probably happen sometime after you get to college), and if you don't take the time to actually understand the concepts being taught in class then you won't pass it.

So in short, smartness has lots to do with school, whichever way you look at it!

That's a pretty big generalization, Grmn. Firstly, it's probably best to define smartness and intelligence. These are very broad terms that encompass several factors. To me, intelligence and memorization aren't completely separate ideas; I see memorization as just one of many key factors that comprise one's intelligence. Just as one's ability to actually understand concepts, memorization also plays a role in determining intelligence.

Now, relating that to school. It's good that you have the ability to memorize formulas and whatnot, but that only gets you so far, trust me. Sooner or later, you won't be able to depend solely on your memorization (will probably happen sometime after you get to college), and if you don't take the time to actually understand the concepts being taught in class then you won't pass it.

So in short, smartness has lots to do with school, whichever way you look at it!
To be honest here, for example in math class this is what i do:
I listen and take notes on stuff i need to know with new concepts. Then i space out for awhile because you know how teachers confuse us and I didn't want that to happen there. So thats how i do it. So i guess i wasn't clearly stating how i go about everything there. But, i memorize all the formulas i need to for mid terms and finals so I can pass. Now the only minor problem here is correct usage of the formula and applying the correct values in each variable. But other than that for me its not that hard, but understandably it is hard to those who haven't grown up doing it that way. I was about to veer a little (probably more than just a little) off track but I'm not going to.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Now the only minor problem here is correct usage of the formula and applying the correct values in each variable.

Math is a great example of where formulas take intelligence to understand. For example, take calculus. What's a derivative? It's the slope of the tangent line. And a tangent line is the limiting process of a secant line. And the limit is a concept which says that functions can infinitely approach a value but never touch it. Likewise the limit can be used to explain definite integration. Because we are looking for the area under a curve, a definite integral is actually the limit of an infinite sum. By understanding both of these concepts (not just formulas that get you there), it's possible to expand understanding outside of just those regions. They're concept applications. Even though they also benefit from formulas (eg. surface area of a bounded region revolved around an axis, 3D concept) it would make absolutely no sense to someone who can't even identify what the former concepts meant.

Math is a great example of where formulas take intelligence to understand. For example, take calculus. What's a derivative? It's the slope of the tangent line. And a tangent line is the limiting process of a secant line. And the limit is a concept which says that functions can infinitely approach a value but never touch it. Likewise the limit can be used to explain definite integration. Because we are looking for the area under a curve, a definite integral is actually the limit of an infinite sum. By understanding both of these concepts (not just formulas that get you there), it's possible to expand understanding outside of just those regions. They're concept applications. Even though they also benefit from formulas (eg. surface area of a bounded region revolved around an axis, 3D concept) it would make absolutely no sense to someone who can't even identify what the former concepts meant.
True. I'm assuming since I have not taken Calc yet, that calc is a foundation based learning concept. I mean all of math is foundation based but calc is building upon itself in one concept. Although i dont want to talk about math over my weekend sooo....