Halo 343 vs Bungie

who is the more skilled developer

• Total voters

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
I'll be honest, Bungie is probably the more skilled developer because they have far more experience.
However, my loyalty is still with 343 and Halo 4. I've been very pleased with the changes 343 made to the series in Halo 4 so far, and I'm excited to see what we they will do with the series in the future. I also have high confidence that they'll blow us away with Halo 5.

SloppyApples

Master
Feb 1, 2013
It's not even close. Bungie by a landslide. 343 had to come out and make a public apology for their development mistakes in Halo 4. Disregarding any potential optimism about the next Halo there is no way to objectively call 343 the better development studio as things currently stand. 343's biggest success with Halo 4 was it's marketing, proven by it's massive sales and it's immediate and rapid decline after its release. Aside from that the game was a rushed, disjointed, incomplete mess for the most part. I still play Halo 4 (for now), but it has way too many problems to list to the point where my previous least favorite Halo in Reach is looking pretty good at this point in comparison.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
To be fair, Bungie has made several amazing game series, invented the current system of online matchmaking that all FPS games now use, has proven itself in multiple genres over two decades, and has always been extremely community friendly for such a large company. 343i has made Halo 4 and done some work in the Reach era. They are in entirely separate leagues.

I actually made a video all about Bungie for a class.

Jan 30, 2013
U.S. Missouri
To be fair, Bungie has made several amazing game series, invented the current system of online matchmaking that all FPS games now use, has proven itself in multiple genres over two decades, and has always been extremely community friendly for such a large company. 343i has made Halo 4 and done some work in the Reach era. They are in entirely separate leagues.

I actually made a video all about Bungie for a class.

what class was that
you must have got a A+

Reactions: Skyward Shoe

Fuzzle

Wuschelig
Jan 10, 2013
Under the Traveler
I'll be honest, Bungie is probably the more skilled developer because they have far more experience.
However, my loyalty is still with 343 and Halo 4. I've been very pleased with the changes 343 made to the series in Halo 4 so far, and I'm excited to see what we they will do with the series in the future. I also have high confidence that they'll blow us away with Halo 5.

the glass is half full? wow, thats new :p

Reactions: ShockBolt21

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
As Shoe said, the developers are in completely separate leagues. However, there isn't really much contest looking purely from the perspective of who can make a better Halo game either. To be fair, 343 has far less experience as a developer. The fact remains that Halo 4 was a huge departure from what made the earlier games in the series work so well: the fact that they were, at heart, competitive games. While I commend 343 for tackling one of the most beloved franchises in gaming as a new developer and doing an incredible job with the art and sound design of the game, I am also hugely disappointed with just how poorly the game's multiplayer sandbox was designed. Halo games have shipped with less polish than Halo 4, and Reach had its fair share of poor design choices, but nothing comes close to just how inherently broken or poorly implemented most of the new game elements introduced in Halo 4 were.

In short, I have respect for 343 in some ways. However, their design philosophies need a lot of work if they want to develop a Halo game that can show its face alongside games like Halo 2 and 3. The company has some serious talent in some areas, but is woefully lacking in direction in the Sandbox design and Multiplayer departments. Again, i don't think it's fair to compare a developer with multiple beloved franchises to its name to a developer who has put out one game. That said, by that comparison there is really no contest at this point. Only time will tell what 343i is capable of in the future, but they need to seriously reevaluate some of their design philosophies if they want to develop a competitive FPS of any quality.

Oct 18, 2013
Bungie have had more experience than 343 industries. They are far more skilled. In terms of Halo, I still think they are better game developers. We have to give 343 industries a chance though. Who knows what they will come up with. ;)