Round 1: Group 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robius5991

Online Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Canada
I actually did read over it...
Alright, cool. I appreciate that you took the time to do so Fedora.

Really? Did you seriously just say that?

Yes, quite evidently I did. That just happens to be my opinion. Could you please specify what your astonishment with this citation is? I don't quite understand where you're going with this. I would appreciate an elaboration, if its not too much trouble.

Fiesty Fedora

Master
Jan 9, 2013
Yes, quite evidently I did. That just happens to be my opinion. Could you please specify what your astonishment with this citation is? I don't quite understand where you're going with this. I would appreciate an elaboration, if its not too much trouble.
Oooh big words. I would say about 40 points.

Reactions: Robius5991

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
Either way, while looking at all of the maps submitted to this contest, you would see that Hoth is not even leading the overall competition. As of this time, it is still behind Speedrun, Green Lantern and Ice Breakers. Unfortunately for some individuals who didn't seem to know what they were getting into with this contest, it is truly, in itself a popularity contest, because the maps will move ahead at the will of the community, not the individual. This means that popular maps made both by popular forgers, and which have been featured on youtube will have an edge over unknown maps sometimes.

Oh I knew this was a popularity contest from the start, and I knew AJ Yusi and all them will get most of the votes. That will happen with any community vote. But I didn't get mad when I played those.
The difference was, and I get you have seen it differently, but at the end of the day, It recreated Battlefront 2 for me.
And thats awesome. Awesome aesthetics, and a cool map.
But when I play it, I am playing Battlefront 2, a First Person Shooter Game.

So I drew in my head, if this is allowed, would a Call of Duty Remake be allowed? Or Maybe a Battlefield 3?
Remakes, are also not a problem, as we have a Mirrors edge based map.

But somehow... I played it, and its different. My Friends have played it, and its different, and they agree it doesn't feel like a minigame either.
And I asked "Why is it in the Minigame Contest, beating Group 5"?

I was cool with the fun contest of it all, trying to get votes for my favorite maps, but It seemed like this was very undeserving to even be included
It seemed like this map simply was enough by what I thought was standard for a minigame definition.
It felt too Halo 4 esque, and to Competitive.

But I again ask, where is the line truly drawn for what is a minigame, and what is not?
And Could a game type, such as the "Halo 3 Slayer" be considered (as it offers difference from standard slayer)?

GryffinGuy

Proficient
Mar 3, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Come on, people.

Honestly, even if a different map from this Group made it through, simply imagine how it would go up against maps such as Speedrun. There's a good chance we won't even win this contest. If we do, we plan to use the prize as a prize in our own competition for the channel. Therefore, we don't get much out of this competition; win or lose. No, we're not being selfish to earn more views. We're actually giving to the community, in the hopes that someone who wasn't able to enter this contest because they don't forge minigames is able to enter their own map depending on the contest conditions.

I can see why you members are complaining about the current situation, but this is hardly a matter of concern for those not involved. Sure, under the circumstances it may be seem unfair, but go take a look at Groups 1, 5, 6, 7 and 8; Small, unknown minigames up against the likes of Speedrun, Icebreakers and Green Lantern to name a few. However, this is NOT an invitation to go ahead and start an arguement over there. Ultimately, it may come down to these popular maps and ours - where we may not stand a chance.

Anywho, I'm sure we're all nice people here and hilariously there's been no complaints from the contestants themselves. Thank you to those contestants who have shown much appreciated sportsmanship and maturity. Also, sorry for the wall of text. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Absentduck

JL1223 X

Master
Feb 14, 2013
Hong Kong
Well, in my opinion, Speedrun, Icebreakers and Green Lantern are perfectly allowed to participate in the contest and qualifying as "minigame".

Its, at the very least, a little bit fairer, isn't it?

We're all entitled to our own opinion and while you may go around claiming that your 'remake' is a minigame, I feel that I can either dispute that claim - easily - or, in accordance to your claim, create a gametype with no shields, low health, sniper, rocket and AR spawning, make ordnance drops superpowerful and call it not only a cod remake but a minigame. And aesthetically put in 10 AC-130's. And create ladders for trickshots.

Also, another thing, but I was talking about this with some others and...notice the beautiful contest number of 32 submissions, easily split into 8 groups of 4?

Oh I knew this was a popularity contest from the start, and I knew AJ Yusi and all them will get most of the votes. That will happen with any community vote. But I didn't get mad when I played those.
The difference was, and I get you have seen it differently, but at the end of the day, It recreated Battlefront 2 for me.
And thats awesome. Awesome aesthetics, and a cool map.
But when I play it, I am playing Battlefront 2, a First Person Shooter Game.

So I drew in my head, if this is allowed, would a Call of Duty Remake be allowed? Or Maybe a Battlefield 3?
Remakes, are also not a problem, as we have a Mirrors edge based map.

But somehow... I played it, and its different. My Friends have played it, and its different, and they agree it doesn't feel like a minigame either.
And I asked "Why is it in the Minigame Contest, beating Group 5"?

I was cool with the fun contest of it all, trying to get votes for my favorite maps, but It seemed like this was very undeserving to even be included
It seemed like this map simply was enough by what I thought was standard for a minigame definition.
It felt too Halo 4 esque, and to Competitive.

But I again ask, where is the line truly drawn for what is a minigame, and what is not?
And Could a game type, such as the "Halo 3 Slayer" be considered (as it offers difference from standard slayer)?

I understand where you come from. but having played this game over and over (of course) and have enjoyed dominion nearly the most out of all matchmaking game types. I have to say, would you really see this map in matchmaking? it defies standard procedure in terms of matchmaking, it "differs from the norm" - a clear instruction from the submission guidelines. when i play it, i do feel a relation to maybe... slayer?. but in slayer you win by killing. imagine if everyone just killed, never capture bases. nobody wins. to win... you must twist the unusual layout of the map and loadouts to suit your playstyle when 3 banshees are heading your way. it's no slayer or competitive environment when you're pressured under those odds.

therefore i feel it qualifies for this contest.
- AbandonedData87

JL1223 X

Master
Feb 14, 2013
Hong Kong
it defies standard procedure in terms of matchmaking, it "differs from the norm" - a clear instruction from the submission guidelines. to win... you must twist the unusual layout of the map and loadouts to suit your playstyle when 3 banshees are heading your way. it's no slayer or competitive environment when you're pressured under those odds.

therefore i feel it qualifies for this contest.

I don't see how having 3 banshees attack you is all of a sudden differing from the norm. I mean, if Free-for-all, where you have 7 people attack ONLY you, isn't all of a sudden considered a minigame, how can an extra 2 vehicles in a 'hilly + indoors' (Isn't that blood gulch as well? And Valhalla, exile, and a ton of other maps?) suddenly be a minigame as well?

Because, if this was simply a 'differ from the norm' contest, then I might as well put hard kills on Exile and say it 'differs from the norm', which it does.

Absentduck

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Lancashire
Right guys I have read enough. There is no point arguing over what has happened. Yes in the beginning I agreed but now after playing it in a lobby yesterday I found that actually I plays nothing like dominion in matchmaking, and if you want a true opinion go and ask the dominion experts, such as AbleSirThomas. If they agree fair enough but if they don't just leave it.

No matter, the competition is very competitive and some minigames involve flood, CTF and dominion based gametypes and you are not complaining about those so why this one, the main reason behind most of you is jealousy and frustration that yet again a popular group or person is going to win. So what, they are popular because they are better than most at forging and produce better maps than most.

So get over it and good luck OnlineKnights, this group is won one way or another so move on people.

Peace

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
Robius5991 and friends, and ShockBolt21 -- do you have equivalent, more standard (you know what I mean) minigame maps to swap places with Star Wars and Battleship, theoretically? We could wipe clean votes (I know this would suck for you Robius) and start on a clean slate with this group, theoretically, as the group is relatively close besides for the Star Wars debacle.

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
Yes insane, that would be great! Please add Scorpion Dominance to the competition as a replacement.
(http://halocustoms.com/maps/scorpion-dominance.203/)
And if it isn't too much trouble, can you use the second screenshot from the linked thread instead of the first to add under the spoiler?
Great, will do if we make the switch.

We still need to make a decision on what's allowed and what's not -- we do want the competition to be fair and to be what you think of when you think "minigame", but at the same time we don't want to be unfair to Robius, who obviously has a clear lead in this grouping.

Absentduck

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Lancashire
Great, will do if we make the switch.

We still need to make a decision on what's allowed and what's not -- we do want the competition to be fair and to be what you think of when you think "minigame", but at the same time we don't want to be unfair to Robius, who obviously has a clear lead in this grouping.
I agree

I don't see how having 3 banshees attack you is all of a sudden differing from the norm. I mean, if Free-for-all, where you have 7 people attack ONLY you, isn't all of a sudden considered a minigame, how can an extra 2 vehicles in a 'hilly + indoors' (Isn't that blood gulch as well? And Valhalla, exile, and a ton of other maps?) suddenly be a minigame as well?

Because, if this was simply a 'differ from the norm' contest, then I might as well put hard kills on Exile and say it 'differs from the norm', which it does.

you misunderstand. what truly is a minigame? a minigame is a gametype bent to a radical concept that would be unable to suit matchmaking rank. you are correct with your words but not with your meanings and intentions. there my friend... you are oh so wrong. i apologise for the following in-professionalism: but i truly believe that you and only you do not decide what a minigame is. a consensus does. the consensus built by this contest page over-rules your opinion. look at the results... which is the preferred map? i ask you. the people have made their decision. you cannot change that, you can merely add yours and be on your way.

and remember, we are here to help you as much as we are to compete. submit your maps to the honorary knights system for additional recognition of your forging.
have a nice day...
-AbandonedData87

Robius5991

Online Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Canada
Robius5991 and friends, and ShockBolt21 -- do you have equivalent, more standard (you know what I mean) minigame maps to swap places with Star Wars and Battleship, theoretically? We could wipe clean votes (I know this would suck for you Robius) and start on a clean slate with this group, theoretically, as the group is relatively close besides for the Star Wars debacle.

I said that I would adhere to the Administration's choice on the issue, and I will do just that. However, I find myself in a small conundrum and I hope that we may settle it right away. Unfortunately, Star Wars maps were the only maps that I had which fit the criteria of the Mini-Game contest, but I was wondering if you might be willing to take an alternative. As you may or may not know Insane, the different forgers in my group each used up their submission to throw in a Star Wars map into the contest, and at the last second we were informed that we could only submit one, thus voiding the other three individual's opportunity to submit an alternative Mini-Game. Therefore, I ask that the Mini-Game that would replace Star Wars would be "Free Your Friends" which was made by our team member H2AK0N, who had his submission disqualified due to the vagueness of the original rules. Although I am saddened at the thought of starting back at scratch and losing our 50% of the votes in our bracket, we would be willing to wipe the slate clean if it would quell the anger brought up by our submission. So Insane, would this be a reasonable change?

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
I said that I would adhere to the Administration's choice on the issue, and I will do just that. However, I find myself in a small conundrum and I hope that we may settle it right away. Unfortunately, Star Wars maps were the only maps that I had which fit the criteria of the Mini-Game contest, but I was wondering if you might be willing to take an alternative. As you may or may not know Insane, the different forgers in my group each used up their submission to throw in a Star Wars map into the contest, and at the last second we were informed that we could only submit one, thus voiding the other three individual's opportunity to submit an alternative Mini-Game. Therefore, I ask that the Mini-Game that would replace Star Wars would be "Free Your Friends" which was made by our team member H2AK0N, who had his submission disqualified due to the vagueness of the original rules. Although I am saddened at the thought of starting back at scratch and losing our 50% of the votes in our bracket, we would be willing to wipe the slate clean if it would quell the anger brought up by our submission. So Insane, would this be a reasonable change?

That is a perfect replacement, and I'll keep you in charge of the prize, so you decide what to do with it if this map wins.

I'm not 100% sure about if we're going to wipe votes or not; we'll keep you guys informed. Until then, we'll change the names to the appropriate new ones, thanks for being helpful Robius5991 and ShockBolt21!

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
I'm not 100% sure about if we're going to wipe votes or not; we'll keep you guys informed. Until then, we'll change the names to the appropriate new ones, thanks for being helpful Robius5991 and ShockBolt21!
Personally, I think that while it may be unfavorable for Robius, the votes should be cleared. Remember that the people have voted for the map, not the forger. If the map changed, then the votes should change along with them because the votes are specific to that map, whether or not the new one was forged by the same person.

...But I don't really want to stir up more trouble. I'll leave the decision to you.

Also, I do think it's important to make an announcement to everyone on the site so they know about the change, and give members an opportunity to change their vote if they want.

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
I just created the new poll, go vote guys! (and of course, have your friends vote, etc). This thread is going to be locked and moved pretty soon; Robius5991, I need download links and forger usernames for your map submission (please message me them asap), and I apologize for the inconvenience this has all been.

Also, we'll extend the deadline as long as we possibly can, its not going to be a huge amount but I'm trying to make this as fair as humanly possible and make it all go smoothly :)

Reactions: Budddyyy
Status
Not open for further replies.