Map Preview Venom

Mar 30, 2013
Venom
DOWNLOAD: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/g.../details/cc0b6a3b-fe23-4732-9bb8-d59ccbc33ed4

Asymmetrical 2v2 arena with acid routes and multiple portals. Venom features a mix of extreme verticality and overlap with a classic CE arena feel. Gameplay is dynamic, frantic, and acrobatic, requiring quick decision making and total map knowledge to outsmart enemy players, hold key lines of sight, and control portal movement.

Acid Pit
  • -25% shield decay
  • Speed boost visual effect
Recharge Station
  • 25% shield generation up to 2x Overshield
  • 50% damage resistance
  • 3 second delay before shield generation if player enters the station after taking weapon damage
  • Overshield visual effect
Weapons and Power-Ups
  • Rocket Launcher (180s) – 0 spare clips
  • Sniper Rifle (120s) – 0 spare clips
  • Speed Boost (120s)
  • Conc Rifle (90s) – 0 spare clips
  • Needler (60s) – 1 spare clips
  • Plasma Pistol (60s) – 1 spare clips
Screenshots:
*Speed boost effect enabled for screenshots
*Overhead: http://i3.minus.com/ibwD6PRYjRhUbx.jpg

v17.jpg

v12.jpg

v11.jpg

v10.jpg

v9.jpg

v8.jpg

v26.jpg

v2.jpg

v18.jpg

v14.jpg

v27.jpg

v15.jpg

v16.jpg

v3.jpg

v4.jpg

v20.jpg

v5.jpg

v21.jpg

recharge station.jpg

v25.jpg

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
By 50% damage resistance, you're saying the player takes more damage if they're standing in the recharge zone?
On another note: referring to the fourth picture, I find that rock phased through the ramp up and upper level to be lazy cover that is probably unnecessary.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
50% damage resistance means that a player in that zone will take half as much damage as they would normally.

You sure? I think it's the other way around...
If one has half the resistance, they have twice the vulnerability.
Besides, it wouldn't make sense for a recharge zone to make a person even more resilient to damage. People would just camp it.

a Chunk

Master
Nov 14, 2013
You sure? I think it's the other way around...
If one has half the resistance, they have twice the vulnerability.
Besides, it wouldn't make sense for a recharge zone to make a person even more resilient to damage. People would just camp it.
Quite sure. Damage resistance increases a players resistance to damage.

Edit: Nevermind, I was totally wrong. ;)

Mar 30, 2013
By 50% damage resistance, you're saying the player takes more damage if they're standing in the recharge zone?
On another note: referring to the fourth picture, I find that rock phased through the ramp up and upper level to be lazy cover that is probably unnecessary.

Yes, 50% damage resistance = 2x as vulnerable. Player vulnerability is key to balancing Overshield generation. Risk versus reward.

Regarding your second observation, the rock is not lazy cover. Lazy cover is defined as one dimensional / single purpose non-structural geometry that functions exclusively as cover. That rock serves as interactive multiple purpose geometry (cover, power position, peek shotting, head glitch) that players can use effectively to gain the upper hand on their opponent. Player interaction with that particular rock increases the combat skill gap in that area of the map significantly. The rock geometry also serves to successfully interfere with the LoS cutting through the middle structure, and in addition blocks the LoS from top gold through the back flank route, providing flanking players more options through geometry interaction while approaching the power position.

You need to look at all geometry in context of the surrounding lines of sight, player interaction, and thematic piece usage. Had that rock been inaccessible to players, say placed at a much higher coordinate and limited to functioning solely as cover, then it would be classified as lazy cover.