Map Preview Transmission (Competitive)

Ryguyrules147

Qualified
Jan 10, 2013
Hello everyone! I've been Forging for a while now, and this is my first real competitive map: Transmission.

A6ooeYc.jpg

icons from Halo 4 interactive guide

This map supports Slayer, Capture the Flag, Ricochet, King of the Hill, and Oddball.

This map is themed to be a communications station for sending messages over long distances at incredibly fast speeds, utilizing Forerunner technology found on Requiem.

ua7Tpry.jpg

I wanted to add something interesting to this map's aesthetics, so I added the two larger bridges crossing over the entire map. While it adds a much needed line of sight blocker to one part of the map, it also changes things up by adding pieces that go above the playable space. It also gives the impression that there is more to the station than just the part that you can play in.

XbH58Py.jpg

The Red and Blue bases on this map are pretty much identical, with some minor visual differences. The bottom floor is more open, and has a lift up to the top level. The lift has a shield door in front so enemy team members will have to break the shield to use the lift. At the beginning of the match, each team gets one non-respawning railgun. All other weapons will respawn.

c7BaR7o.jpg

The top of the base houses the flag and the Ricochet goal. The base has windows so you can see outside, and an open front area to shoot through or try and throw the ball into. One side of the top level exits onto a platform, the other drops down to the ground level.

EoMdOPx.jpg

The platform beside each base leads onto a bridge, which continues on to the middle of the map. It also has a ramp down onto this platform, which leads into a curved ramp that takes you down to the map's floor. In slayer, a Ghost will spawn at the bottom of the curved ramp.

b5ADYVE.jpg

The middle of the map is the most important when playing in objective modes. Like the bases, it has two levels. The top level houses the spawn point for the Oddball or Ricochet ball, or the first hill if playing KotH. The bottom level has the Saw, the main power weapon for this map. The top level has 2 jumps and two gravity lifts leading to it. The two round platforms to either side also have random ordinance drop points.

- - - - - - - -
Though this map will support several game modes, I designed it primarily with Ricochet in mind. The lifts in the bases were made for getting 50-point goals, and the open front and sides are good for throwing the ball in.

This map is not ready for release yet because it has not been completely playtested. There is a Beta version that you can download and try out if you'd like to give some feedback.

The main issue right now is lighting. Currently, shadows will change when you become closer. This appears to be due to the fact that I built it in the shadow of Ravine. This was intentional, but I did not anticipate the fact that the shadows from the landmass would not render correctly. The shadows functioned this way from the very beginning of the map, so it is not due to an overabundance of pieces.

There are also some spawning issues I need to work out, and I'm still having some issues with KotH. I plan to add Extraction support later on.

- - - - - - - -

Last edited:

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
For a first standard Halo map this is certainly not bad. From the images the only major issue I can see is that the lower area is too flat and open. Generally if you need multiple coliseum walls to make a section of flooring, it is too big of an open area. The areas in front of the sticky detonators are the worst offenders, in front of the bases are probably second. The best solution would be to build the map on terrain, but unfortunately Forge Islands lack of hills makes that difficult. Still, building on one of the islands and using the rocks to add natural ups and downs can add cover and interesting paths in the place of pure flat areas, which are not really as interesting to fight in and are a lot more difficult to move through. Pulling the map in towards the center just a little bit may also help with this issue. A space in a halo map should only ever be just as big as it needs to be, and a few spaces on here are probably too large. Otherwise this is a great start, I look forward to seeing what you have to show in the future!