To exceed Lightspeed is impossible, eh?

Stevo

The Grinchmind
Dec 31, 2012
United Kingdom
So, I was having a discussion with a friend who asked why would anyone want to go to Africa for a holiday. Both agreeing it's too hot, I said I'd like to visit the Arctic to try and find the exact point of the North pole.
We discussed that in essence, while remaining in daylight for a full 24 hours, you could also walk and travel both 12 hours into the past, and 12 hours into the future in a matter of seconds (time relative to Earth, or Timeclock).

I then picture a globe, and the timezone lines, and thought, while the Earth is spinning at the same rotational speed on it's axis, the distance covered at the North Pole is marginal (a yard or two), and the distance covered at the Equator is immense (a few hundred miles). Despite the rotational force being applied is the same, the points are actually rotating at different speeds, with the widest point rotating the fastest.

In basic physics, this would mean that if you have a tube with a diameter of 1 metric meter, and it completed one complete revolution in 10 seconds, the speed in with it rotates at the widest point is 0.1m/s.
If this tube had an arm extended from it, with a length of 100 meters, and the same force was applied to complete the revolution of the new object (where the force applied to rotate the tube equates to 0.1m/s) the end point of the arm would be travelling at 100*0.1m/s or 10m/s from a force equal to 0.1m/s.

I'm not a physicist, and I'm pretty bad at Maths to be honest... but if anything with mass cannot be accelerated beyond light-speed without requiring an infinite distance, acceleration, and fuel (or energy), then what happens when we attempt to reach light-speed by not actually moving anywhere?

A standard hard drive operates at 7,200RPM, which is 120 revolutions per second.
If the size of the disk in the hard drive were expanded from (approximately) 9cm to 9000m (an upscale of 100,000%), the circumference of the revolution would increase from (approximately) 28.25cm to 2827433.40cm or 28274.33m. This would mean that per single revolution, the outer edge would travel 28274 meters or 28.275 Kilometers per single revolution. Each second, the revolution is completed 120 times. So, per second the outer edge travels at 3393 KM/s.

With the speed of light being 299,792,458 m/s (2,997,924.58KM/s), there's a long way to go, and it'd require a very sizable object. However, with the fastest spinning man-made object drawing in just over 600,000,000RPM (Source, an increase of 83,333x greater than our original RPM), it doesn't seem like it could be too difficult after all... since if mankind managed to create a rotational object 9KM in diameter and accelerated its core up to 600,000,000 RPM, the outer edge would be rotating at 282,748,869 KM/s almost 100 times over light-speed...

Last edited:

AlexJ189

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Aug 20, 2013
Narnia
I get what you are saying, but it's still impossible. Up scaling the size of something does not work the way you are picturing it. I.e. It's probably impossible to make a standard computer hard drive that big, without it breaking.

Also, even though the central rotation point of the hard drive spindle is technically not moving through space (relative to the earth), the outside of the spindle will still be moving relative to the central rotation point (and the earth)... If that makes sense? Everything is about relativity.

For example, If you did have a rotational object 9 KM in length, there would not be enough energy in the universe to rotate it a 600,000,000 RPM. The only reason that The University of St Andrews were able to rotate something that fast, is because what they were rotating (a microscopic sphere of CaCO3), was incredibly light weighted, and therefore required much, much less energy to rotate. The second video will explain all of this much better.

Want to know more about how up scaling works? Then watch this.

If you want the mathematical proof that we cannot exceed the speed of light, then watch this:

Stevo

The Grinchmind
Dec 31, 2012
United Kingdom
Haha yeah, I got that... But that's mostly because of resistance and stuff.

If for example, the arm or shaft was placed inside a non-movable magnetic ring and the arm was made of a lightweight, magnetic substance; then the rim could also provide a natural push of energy to keep the arm moving, reducing the energy load requirement on the central point.
So it becomes the cat and the butter-side toast theory...

That said, what if a substance was made to be lighter that anything? What if a 9km bar on a spindle had the weight of a feather? If the earth can spin on its axis at 445m/s why can't something at 0.0001% of its size rotate at 10,000x the speed?

AlexJ189

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Aug 20, 2013
Narnia
First I am going to start off and say that light does actually have mass. It's mass is negligible when it comes to it's impact on the cosmic speed limit, but it's there nonetheless.

Secondly, we need to forget about spindles and rotary objects, and get straight to the laws of physics.

Lets say you have an electron. To get it to 90% of the speed of light it would take around 220,000 eV. That seems pretty good doesn't it? However, if you wanted to boost it up to 99.9% the speed of light, it would take over 11,000,000 eV to do so. That seems less good. And, if you wanted to go even faster, the amount of energy needed to increase the speed, would keep increasing exponentially the faster you get. This would keep happening, until eventually the amount of energy required to increase the speed reaches infinity. And thus, the particle reaches its speed limit.

That is the same for any particle, any molecule, and any object. As long as it has some mass, its speed limit will be slower that the cosmic speed limit (3.00x10^8).