Map Preview "The Name is Percy. Percy Allison."

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Percy
A project by El Trocity & REMkings

Percy said:
Hello there, dear reader.
I'm glad you stumbled upon this page. As you must know by now, you're stuck in some kind of horrible nightmare. You've surely been haunted by these strange evil creatures that tried to... hurt you. They're known simply as "the Darkness", their motives for hunting you are unknown. But thank God, I know how to help you. I have been going through the same mess as you. I know how you can effectively fight your attackers, and I want to help you find a way out of here. There's is no time to explain what exactly you're fighting against right now, but just take from me that their weak spot is the light. I left you a lantern in the forest, over by the water. Try to reach that area and catch up some breath! It won't be long before they're here again...

Hey! Welcome back to another Map Preview for Percy, the second of a total of three to come. Some of you will already be familiar with the map, I'd like to direct those who aren't to the following thread.

In this thread, we will disclose a few more details of the backstory of the map. Well, to be honest, we're not really going to explain everything just yet, but you'll get to meet Percy Allison, the main character of the backstory. Moreover, we will take a look at some of the specific features of the gameplay, to be exact the following: the Special Infected classes, the saferoom, and the use of cones on the map.

The Special Infected Classes
There are two special classes in "Yours Truly, the Darkness", the gametype accompanying the map. We will take a quick look at both.

The Hunter (Blue Zombie)
- The Hunter is faster than your standard opponent, but does not have any cloaking abilities except for still being slightly transparent. A smart Hunter can distract human players so other zombies can sneak up on them from an unguarded direction.

bluezombie_zps2b59df4c.png

The Tank (Red Zombie)
- The Tank functions as your worst nightmare. Completely visible and no tougher than standard zombies, he can still be killed with ease if humans focus fire. He should however always be your number one priority once he appears on the battlefield because he can kill a human player with a single hit!

redzombie_zps721c8bd7.png

The Saferoom
The map features a saferoom at the very end. Once you've reached the last 10 seconds of the game, you may finally enter the room and keep the zombies at bay in an ultimate attempt to survive. If you do manage to do this, you'll be rewarded with 50 (!) points. I'd say that's definitely worth it.

KeepCalm_zpsf803e93b.png

The Use of Cones
Percy said:
Somehow, I came across a lot of weaponry during my adventure. Since there was no way I could carry all weapons and ammo with me, I decided to leave a mark for people ending up in the same situation as me. If you read this, please know this: if you see a traffic cone laying around somewhere, this means I found a power weapon very close to that spot! Try and look around a little, you might have to pay close attention in order to find it. (As you can probably imagine, I was in a hurry, so I just had to throw the cones around while running my way through the area.)

cone_zps679ba93f.png

Here is an example of a cone, indicating a nearby power weapon's location
Percy24_zps9518e979.jpg

A Hunter effectively distracting the humans, resulting in their unhappy demises
Percy25_zps9477a75b.jpg

Survive the forest, and enter the city
Percy20_zps2615d631.jpg

Reach the saferoom. Survive this madness
Percy27_zps200db8f9.jpg

Master Debaytes, Ticky, Oasis Hurler, MMedina000, The 0micron, WARTHOGSZ, HardcoreTots, Charles Stoot, jason x 185, spartandude, STEELGREEN03, Dihex, Matt18, @Zandril , @General Sarbina , @Auburn , @PA1NTS, @Psychoduck , @-Orzium- , @epichair212 , @AwesomeTiger267 , @HardcoreTots , @Z3MAST3R , @Vientus

you were all present in the first tests on this map. If you've been keeping up with the progress, or just like to express your opinion down below, feel free to do so! It helps a lot.

Percy said:
I just realized I haven't even told you my name yet. The name is Percy. Percy Allison. And I am a writer.

Download “A Story From & About Percy." – Beta .5 version of the map
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/.../details/4f22cb69-6b9d-4830-acfe-648a943071c0

Download “Yours Truly, the Darkness" – Gametype (Updated)
Thank you once again for your time,
- REM & Ell

~ Special thanks to Redy for the artwork ~

Last edited:

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
This is an impressive map, you guys. From start until you were converted, every moment as a human was both nerve-racking and exciting; the first holdout area especially. Rather than just post up at a door and watch where they know the flood'll come from, a human had to constantly scan a certain stretch and rely on others in the group to scan another. It made things a little difficult, but it was different.

If you wanted player awareness to be important, you nailed it. Otherwise, the boundaries of those deathpits should be a little more clear, namely the one subsequent to the first stage. It wasn't too surprising when I fell into one the first time, but throughout the other rounds, I found myself falling into them on occasion (especially as a flood). Even a high level awareness doesn't help when you can hardly see the hole in the first place. It forces a certain degree of map knowledge which, like I said, could be seen as good or bad depending on what your expectations were.

I heard some complaints about the lack of aim assist, but I didn't have too much of a problem with it personally. It stresses the importance of shooting as with a team and punishes players that try to rush ahead. That being said, I do think it becomes a problem when the time between the lunge and the flood becoming visible is too short. It was no big deal when there were only two or three flood, but when the number increased to four, all it seemed to take was a coordinated rush to infect at least one human. From there you'd get the domino effect before the bridge even spawned.

That was my initial impression after only five rounds though, so take it with a grain of salt. One human was almost always left behind and infected before the first stage, so I doubt the humans were playing at their best. I'd like to play a couple more games before anything concretely.

Good stuff, you two.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
This is an impressive map, you guys. From start until you were converted, every moment as a human was both nerve-racking and exciting; the first holdout area especially. Rather than just post up at a door and watch where they know the flood'll come from, a human had to constantly scan a certain stretch and rely on others in the group to scan another. It made things a little difficult, but it was different.

If you wanted player awareness to be important, you nailed it. Otherwise, the boundaries of those deathpits should be a little more clear, namely the one subsequent to the first stage. It wasn't too surprising when I fell into one the first time, but throughout the other rounds, I found myself falling into them on occasion (especially as a flood). Even a high level awareness doesn't help when you can hardly see the hole in the first place. It forces a certain degree of map knowledge which, like I said, could be seen as good or bad depending on what your expectations were.

I heard some complaints about the lack of aim assist, but I didn't have too much of a problem with it personally. It stresses the importance of shooting as with a team and punishes players that try to rush ahead. That being said, I do think it becomes a problem when the time between the lunge and the flood becoming visible is too short. It was no big deal when there were only two or three flood, but when the number increased to four, all it seemed to take was a coordinated rush to infect at least one human. From there you'd get the domino effect before the bridge even spawned.

That was my initial impression after only five rounds though, so take it with a grain of salt. One human was almost always left behind and infected before the first stage, so I doubt the humans were playing at their best. I'd like to play a couple more games before anything concretely.

Good stuff, you two.

Thanks for the feedback, this is really helpful. There isn't much we can do about changing the lack of aim assist, unfortunately, because for some odd reason Halo 4 doesn't allow you to turn off invisibility inside of a trait zone (that is, you can turn it off, but it won't actually effectively turn it off in game). I will see how the next test this Sunday turns out, it might be something worth looking at if that domino effect happens too often.
Not every single one of the deathpits is exactly intentional, but what is intentional, is having to look around where you're going and knowing your way around the map. The "river" - the huge deathpit in between the first holdout and the urban environment in the second part of the map - was intentional however, because just like in Alan Wake, you cannot afford to jump into water areas.

Thanks again, hope to see you in the testing session this weekend!

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
After some further feedback we're going to slightly decrease the zombies' health / increase the humans' damage, in order to make things a bit more easier on the humans. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Another update in the gametype that was yet already implemented:
- The points for gettings kills have been increased from 1 to 5 to balance out that fact that assists for humans are still rewarded with 5 points in default Plague settings

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
New, third and final map preview coming soon!
After that, it'll only be a matter of time before we release the map unto the forums.