Competitive Serendipity [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisSonic01

Master
Feb 2, 2013
Serendipity (version 1.0) - Serendipity is an asymmetrical, small-medium competitive map created with zero planning beforehand.

Serendipity was created when I sat down one day with the urge to create a map. I normally do very little planning when I forge, usually starting with just a picture in my head; however, when I started work on Serendipity, I had no plan in mind, and no clue what I was making. Don't let that fool you though- Serendipity suffers little from this method of forging, and as the second asymmetrical map I've ever made, I think I actually may have done better on it than I could have with a plan....

Read more about this map...

ChrisSonic01

Master
Feb 2, 2013
Yes, I was experimenting with ways to break that up, but in the end decided to wait until I tested it to see if it was a problem, likely based on whether the areas it controls are high-traffic or not.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Yes, I was experimenting with ways to break that up, but in the end decided to wait until I tested it to see if it was a problem, likely based on whether the areas it controls are high-traffic or not.

It's on higher ground. Players will be likely to flock there. And even if it's not a high-traffic area, a bad sightline is a bad sightline. And this is a competitive map. So I really suggest breaking it up.

ChrisSonic01

Master
Feb 2, 2013
It's on higher ground. Players will be likely to flock there. And even if it's not a high-traffic area, a bad sightline is a bad sightline. And this is a competitive map. So I really suggest breaking it up.

Yep, that's probably a good idea. I'll fix it for now, but I'll pay close attention to it in testing.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Alright, I was able to take a look at the map in Forge. For the most part, I didn't see anything too bad.

I like how you were able to fix the long sightline in the middle bridge. However, the way you fixed it isn't the best.

You simply placed a lattice of objects that don't have a point other than cover. This makes that area quite cluttered. When making cover in a map, make it structural. If you don't know what structural cover is, I'll explain.

Look at this picture

i4HNPANETDkhK.jpg

Almost every rock, ramp, railing and artifact base that you see in this screen capture serves as a line of sight blocker. However, each piece has multiple functions. You can use them as cover, or something to jump on to gain a line of sight across the map, or geometry that helps you to out BR your opponent through head glitching, peak-shot and strafing. This is what I mean by structural cover. It's usable geometry. The idea is to empower the player - not restrict them.

When your map only consists of pillars that only serve as line of sight blockers that occupy dead space, huge amounts of segmentation occurs and you are forcing players to only use your geometry in one way. Forgers need to build maps for the mechanics of Halo.

That explanation is courtesy of The Fated Fire. It's the one he gave me when I asked about structural cover.

All in all, if you plan on keeping this map's layout, I don't think it's a map that can really shine. I don't see where players will go to in this map and I think it would just end up with them running around aimlessly and shooting anyone they see.

The best thing to do, IMO, is to start anew and apply what you've learned from this map to a new project.

Status
Not open for further replies.