Map Preview Rebirth

Dax

o/
Jan 12, 2013
What's up dudes! I know it's been a while since I've posted any of my forge-related activities, but this current project has taken a lot longer than I was anticipating. I finally have a playable version though! Granted, many aspects of this map are subject to change, and most probably will, but I wanted to at least show you guys what I've been up to the past month.

This is only designed for 4v4 Infinity Slayer at the moment, but I'm sure it could work for objective games as well. I'd like to get as much testing on this as possible, so if you're interested, just let me know. :)

wip3_zpsd2994502.jpg

wip2_zps0c1c37ff.jpg
wip1_zps0d217e6e.jpg
Pictures of the outer areas:​
wip5_zps5bdc4809.jpg

wip6_zps8759859f.jpg

wip7_zpse9443828.jpg

wip8_zps95db149a.jpg

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
So this is that map you had trouble with off-snapping. Looks very unique, I must play it. Is there an outer ring? Crazy map Dax. So cool.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Well, I can see why you said you were having framerate trouble...

But damn, that looks really cool. Very unique style, albeit a simple design. Do those little pockets all lead somewhere can connect around behind the atrium?

Seriously very sexy map, I applaud you for trying something unique. I look forward to playing on this, make sure it gets submitted to the contest!

Dax

o/
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks a bunch guys. Just snagged some screens of the outer areas. Oh, the joy of Recent Screenshots!
wip5_zps5bdc4809.jpg

wip6_zps8759859f.jpg

wip7_zpse9443828.jpg

wip8_zps95db149a.jpg

Bloodbath Tony

Proficient
Feb 19, 2013
Highly original use of angles! You've created a really fresh map here, Dax. Even if the function were terrible, it'd still be great Forge Art, and that's what'll make it addicting to play on.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
I liked the name Cereal Bowl better :p But looks real nice! I'ma have to try that out sometime... :D

Dax

o/
Jan 12, 2013
I liked the name Cereal Bowl better :p But looks real nice! I'ma have to try that out sometime... :D

You got it Teddy. It's going under some pretty serious renovations at the moment though. I'm trying to find ways to make top mid more appealing and give bottom mid more structural cover. So basically what I'm saying is the center of the map is essentially a deathtrap. :p Or, was, at least. These screenshots aren't of the most recent version, but it'll give you a better idea of what I'm going for.
ugcuserfile-d58c09a8-296a-4d54-a0de-2d5d52ea0ea3-9cea13df67678279-full_zps923db2fc.jpg

ugcuserfile-f8fd564d-5025-4c8b-ac4e-a60121bbaba2-9eb5564f80f224ee-full_zps56a794ce.jpg

ugcuserfile-ebbd1b3f-e662-40d7-aa4c-efea6ab3bf7b-cd3d410498bcfeed-full_zpsf38ef08b.jpg

I'm not really seeing expensive objects. What $100 lighting budget objects did you use?

A little confused whatcha mean Vince, I haven't run into the lighting glitch yet. I've just been having some framerate trouble, mainly due to all those railings.

Reactions: Spades N AZ

Vincent Torre

Torre up from the floor up!
Dec 23, 2012
Denver, CO
www.MickRaider.com
Lighting "glitch" object weights are directly proportional to the weight they place on the framerate. Even if you don't hit the glitch you can still improve framerate (and split screen framerate) by avoiding objects that cost $100 on the lighting budget.

Also are you using Station corridors or station corridor ramps? I bet those cause a lot of framerate.

http://halocustoms.com/threads/a-guide-to-dynamic-lighting.1072/

I also try and use low cost items instead of $25 dollar ones when it makes sense to.

Dax

o/
Jan 12, 2013
Lighting "glitch" object weights are directly proportional to the weight they place on the framerate. Even if you don't hit the glitch you can still improve framerate (and split screen framerate) by avoiding objects that cost $100 on the lighting budget.

Hmm.. I'm not too sure about the lighting glitch being directly proportional to framerate issues. Railing mediums are a quarter of the price as railing longs in the lighting budget, however both pieces have a rather high polygon count which is what affects framerate. I noticed that after removing some of the railing mediums I was able to eliminate the framerate issues. Now I just need to figure out what pieces to replace those with!

I also try and use low cost items instead of $25 dollar ones when it makes sense to.

Definitely :)

Vincent Torre

Torre up from the floor up!
Dec 23, 2012
Denver, CO
www.MickRaider.com
Hmm.. I'm not too sure about the lighting glitch being directly proportional to framerate issues. Railing mediums are a quarter of the price as railing longs in the lighting budget, however both pieces have a rather high polygon count which is what affects framerate. I noticed that after removing some of the railing mediums I was able to eliminate the framerate issues. Now I just need to figure out what pieces to replace those with!

Definitely :)
I think there's more complexity than just straight up counting polygons. It seems to relate to the hidden "walking" surface polygons or something along those lines.

Either way I've never had a complaint about frame rate by minimizing $100 objects and using cheap objects whenever possibld

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
I think there's more complexity than just straight up counting polygons. It seems to relate to the hidden "walking" surface polygons or something along those lines.

Right, it's rendering what's on the outside of a piece (what you can shoot at/walk on.) But obviously the bigger the piece, the more surface area will be shown. I don't think there's many pieces that have a small inside volume and a large outside surface. Except the wall coli, but the sheer size of it's surface area is enough to make it an avoidable piece sometimes.