Rating system needs to be updated!!

Do you feel that there´s something wrong with the rating system on HC? Be honest.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
It seems like no one cares, but everyone knows.

Out of the ~1000 maps eventually 350 are rated... Eventually!
Review Crew was a good idea, but can´t carry the weight of the job. There is maybe one rating once a week. Plus they only rate good maps. (Not meant to be negative!)

Another thing is that I can´t see ANY 1 star or 2 star ratings (3 star ratings are rare)! Either nobody wants be visible to everyone that they just rated sth bad or they don´t want to hurt anybodys feelings!
If people could rate as an anonymous person, they would rate more maps! That´s because it should be given an option: Anonymous or Visible (Or sth like that).

But it´s not ok if someone rates a "bad" map with 4 stars or 3 stars! It gives the forger an illusion, and a huge wall out of lies grow out of this... It´s just NOT good!

(Sorry for my bad English, I hope you get my point)

I don´t know... I really don´t know where this will go in the future....

It´s an important thing! People, hear my voice! @Insane54 @Fuzzle @Master Debaytes @Tedium @Z3R0FLAME @Charles Stoot @Player @Zandril @Dax @Great Mist @evergreen948 @Jesus in Malibu @Flying Shoe ILR @PA1NTS @REMkings @TurbTastic @adderrson @Psychoduck @ShockBolt21 @SOLIDSNAKEee @Tomtris @MockKnizzle and more!!

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
@Buddy Here's the thing about the Review Crew. We have a rigid set of requirements for how and which maps are to be reviewed. First, the user has to submit the map to us. This natural filter has a tendency to eliminate maps made by careless forgers. Then there's our process of analysis. Unless there are some major and obvious flaws with the map, a 3/5 rating would signify that it's just an "okay" map. So while we usually review between 3-5 star maps, our analysis can back our opinions up. Certainly through our experience as well, there are maps which by we would be inclined to give it a lower rating.

This is not to point out that some maps aren't "worthy" of being reviewed. Certainly, poorly made maps can be learned from through their flaws. Good forgers have a tendency to correct those flaws and make them better over time. Consider Zandril's break-through map Novus. It started off as a relatively flawed map. Zan innovated and brought the map out of the shadows. By comparitive rating, it went from a 2 or 3, to a 3 or 4. I think that constructive feedback assumes a corrective role, while reviews tend to see a map as rather complete. Both point out flaws and strong points, but while feedback suggests alterations, reviews can assess the map in a static state.

Now about the many other maps that have been made and left unreviewed. If I were so inclined, I could run around reviewing maps all day long. The quality of my reviews, though, would have to drop. By many users on the site I've seen "Good job", "I like this", "It sucks because". How trustworthy can those reviews be? Sure, they can leave a star rating and write ten words - but when it comes to analysis, there has bound to be:
A) stong preferential bias
B) polarization towards maps that borderline function and those that don't
C) lack of knowledge regarding the way a map sub-genre should play
D) failure to recognize key components or aspects of a map

I've definitely hurt some people by posting reviews before (outside of Review Crew [EDIT: I should add that it's rather a coincidence than a tendency]). This breed of people also happen to be the same (who are either afraid or oblivious of the truth), with regard to the maps of others. I say, "Man up." No one has improved without mistakes. They either take off the rose-colored glasses, or I'll shatter them. A good reviewer doesn't function for acceptance, they do so for the truth. I like how you mention the shroud of lies - its does still exist, although for individuals more often than entire communities.

Put all those things together, and I don't see any dysfunction with how we do things currently at HaloCustoms.

Last edited:

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
I just think that the points for people who don´t rate any maps are
- to lazy to write a long and good review/download the map
- feeling uncomfortable that everybody can see a good/bad review
- afraid of hurting people with a bad rating lol (personally i can´t see this point... everytime i reviewed a map bad, i just told the maker that if he evolves the map, the review will be better in case of stars and blablabla = And he wasn´t mad at all !)

A simple change would make the whole system better: Anonimity

( I apologize for my rude words about the review crew :) I didn´t know that someone actually has to submit a map to you guys )

Please keep it short. It´s hard to read all those points if it´s not your mother language. :laugh: :p

Last edited:

Master Debaytes

⚆▽⚆
Dec 31, 2012
UF
I think you think that I make bad reviews, Zero. From what comes that? Do you know how I review maps? Did you ever see a review of mine and thought that it was not honest, too short, (bad grammar)?
I honestly don't know where you're getting that notion from, but I read the post above and no, Zero never said anything directly or indirectly regarding that.

Regarding the whole idea, I've asked for anonymous reviews in the past, but it's only a thing to be implemented when it needs to be. Have we hit that point in time yet for map reviews? No, I don't think so. Why? The lack of reviews is mostly based on the lack of activity on HaloCustoms due to an unpopular opinion towards Halo 4 itself.

I think the system is fine the way it is, but if anything I would say a ratings system out of 10 rather than 5 is the only notable improvement we could use now.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
I think you think that I make bad reviews, Zero. From what comes that? Do you know how I review maps? Did you ever see a review of mine and thought that it was not honest, too short, (bad grammar)?
Although I have not revealed it yet, yes, I do feel like some of your reviews have been too short. I apologize for not finding specific examples to cite, it's just my recollection of what I've seen before. Now you also have great reviews, that help the author and explain your thoughts with analytic detail. You probably know a lot about maps, but whether the review reflects that or not depends on how much effort you place into it.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
This is starting to go the wrong direction. The initial idea was nice, but it's easily going off track. Buddy, maybe if you stick to the brain storming, this will stay on track. But simply telling people that they're inadequate gets us nowhere, so if you want to make a change or start a conversation, try to stay on track. Otherwise this is headed towards lockville.

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
@Tedium I didn´t want to go off track, excuse me. @Master Debaytes , @Z3R0FLAME , could you delete the parts of your messages talking about the #quality of ratings from me? So we stay on topic, guys. :) Thank you.

My point stands. Anonymity should be added. You guys are right with the lack of activity on HaloCustoms and Halo 4, but think of that: There are ~100 members who are very active. If EVERYONE of those members would rate a map once a week, every map is going to be rated in like 5 weeks...

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
The main sticking point is that having every single map rated isn't that important. I can't speak for everyone, but the reason I don't rate maps one a week is because, hell, why would I?

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
We do have anonymous reviewing, actually... just sayin. That said, most points raised in this thread are valid -- due to the nature of maps downloading/playing plus the way people think of ratings, the vast majority of reviews are going to be 4-5 stars, occasionally 3, and very rarely anything lower.

Reactions: Buddy and Player

Player

Master
Feb 10, 2013
Maine
I don't understand this... Buddy came up with great options to improve the site but no matter where anyone seems to go with opinions on this site people feel the need to shut their ideas down.. It's a shame that such a nice database has come to this. Don't try to chnage my mind, it's so apparent. /:

Player

Master
Feb 10, 2013
Maine
I don't understand this... Buddy came up with great options to improve the site but no matter where anyone seems to go with opinions on this site people feel the need to shut their ideas down.. It's a shame that such a nice database has come to this. Don't try to chnage my mind, it's so apparent. /:
It's not the site, but the users.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Buddy came up with great options to improve the site but no matter where anyone seems to go with opinions on this site people feel the need to shut their ideas down.

I just don't think they're great ideas.

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
Now that there is Anonymity I am satisfied. @Tedium , could you please delete this thread before it stirs us up even more? Thank you; and thank you all of you who were arguing with me about this issue. :y:

Status
Not open for further replies.